Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools | Intro Discussion

Old 05-26-2019, 08:08 PM

Default Re: Anyone else think Pro Tools first is a bummer?

Waste of time! Followed install directions never could get it to run. Multiple error messages keeps it from launching and then eats system resources even when its not running. I uninstalled. Win 10 i7 16 gigs of ram.
Old 06-05-2019, 07:29 AM

I agree also, had it on Windows 10 i5 16GB ram never got it stable always moaning or crashing or not even starting. I recently tried it on my OSX machine i5 16GB ram, complete waste of time, same thing moaning about everything and anything, "Pro Tools not responding can we send data to Avid"; be my guest!

I also use and like very much Logic Pro X and Ableton Live and they are grand for the electronic arts and have everything I need and more.

I don't want to be spending my creativity or mixing time on forums or writing up stuff or service support tickets, give me a break ffs, so il stick with Logic and Ableton and completely disappointing with my introduction to Pro Tools First. I wont be upgrading!
Old 10-29-2019, 05:19 AM

Yeah, just getting it installed was a bummer. I haven't recorded anything in it yet, but I just heard that you can't record to the hard drive? is this true?

This sucks because one of the reasons I bought the Scarlet interface was that ProTools First came with it and now its seems like it was a waste of time and money.

Too bad there aren't too many lawyer musicians out there...sounds like class action to me
Old 10-29-2019, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZipSnipe View Post
Yeah, just getting it installed was a bummer. I haven't recorded anything in it yet, but I just heard that you can't record to the hard drive? is this true?

This sucks because one of the reasons I bought the Scarlet interface was that ProTools First came with it and now its seems like it was a waste of time and money.

Too bad there aren't too many lawyer musicians out there...sounds like class action to me
Can you clarify what you mean by "you can't record to the hard drive" please? See the KB article linked in the thread from this past April at the top of the Pro Tools First subforum which might relate.
Old 11-01-2019, 09:09 AM

People seems to forget that before pro tools first (which is not a big change in codes from the regular pro tools, just limitation codes added to it), there was a 30 day trial of pro tools. So really, there's not a huge difference and waste of time.

Wave-T.com
Old 11-02-2019, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffro View Post
Can you clarify what you mean by "you can't record to the hard drive" please? See the KB article linked in the thread from this past April at the top of the Pro Tools First subforum which might relate.
I might be wrong Jeff , I am trying to find the post where someone said ptf only records to the cloud. I don,t really know. Doesn’t matter software is poorly implemented, won’t start on my pc , just AAE error
Old 11-02-2019, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZipSnipe View Post
I might be wrong Jeff , I am trying to find the post where someone said ptf only records to the cloud. I don,t really know. Doesn’t matter software is poorly implemented, won’t start on my pc , just AAE error
PT First does NOT "only record to the cloud" it records to your hard drive and then can be backed up in the cloud.

Try hold down 'N' when launching.

Make sure you have an ASIO audio interface if you are on Windows.

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 11-03-2019, 03:17 PM

Also you may want to try Asio4all drivers. they work very well.

Wave-T.com
Old 03-01-2020, 06:20 PM

Yeah it's junk. Real buggy software, and poorly documented. It wants to send my recording projects to cloud and then delete them. I have to run it as "administrator" or it locks up.
When I switch interfaces I have to shut down and restart, and it doesn't want to let me use my computer speakers. Then when I want to convert a Pro Tools Project to MP3, I have to use something like Audacity. Why not just use Audacity for the whole thing? It's free. That's what I'm doing now. It's a lot easier to use anyway.
Old 03-02-2020, 11:36 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWLaidback View Post
Yeah it's junk. Real buggy software, and poorly documented. It wants to send my recording projects to cloud and then delete them. I have to run it as "administrator" or it locks up.
When I switch interfaces I have to shut down and restart, and it doesn't want to let me use my computer speakers. Then when I want to convert a Pro Tools Project to MP3, I have to use something like Audacity. Why not just use Audacity for the whole thing? It's free. That's what I'm doing now. It's a lot easier to use anyway.
It's a different case for me. I've been using Pro Tools First since 2015 on a supported machine and had minimal to 0 problems. You mentioned have your projects and the cloud and getting deleted, there was a known issue about this which had been fixed on the latest version which is 2019.6. You're probably on an earlier version, please update to the latest to avoid it from happening. If there are any troubles, please feel free to let us know and we'll be here to help.

-Tope