Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools | Intro Discussion

Old 02-07-2017, 04:29 PM

Default Anyone else think Pro Tools first is a bummer?

Curious what everyone's experience is. I have Pro Tools 12 in a pro studio but I picked up a Scarlett interface to use as a mobile pre-amp for my laptop for room measurement using Smart software. I thought since Pro Tools First came with it I would go ahead and load it and use it for mobile recording - to then transfer files to Pro Tools 12 on my scary PC in the studio.

Issues:
1 - I can't use it without an internet connection = no mobile use for field recording with my laptop.
2 - limit of 3 sessions/projects at a time = can't record an album

Am I missing something?

3 - After installing Pro Tools first my laptop seemed to have a virus all of a sudden. After some investigating I found the software was trying to run stuff in the background, during start up, and every time I turned my Wifi on.

After removing everything my laptop is fine again. And I like ProTools 12 on my big machine when it doesn't poop it's pants. And the Scarlett works great as a mic pre and also came with Focusrite Red Eq and Comp so I got my $100 worth.

Just kinda bummed that First didn't work as a small scale mobile system for me.
Old 02-07-2017, 04:52 PM

Default Re: Anyone else think Pro Tools first is a bummer?

Welcome to the community.
Quote:
Originally Posted by colorsound View Post
1 - I can't use it without an internet connection = no mobile use for field recording with my laptop.
You do need an internet connection to create Projects, but can then work offline.
Quote:
2 - limit of 3 sessions/projects at a time = can't record an album
There is indeed a limit of 3 Projects, but you could have multiple 'songs' in a Project (starting at different points in the timeline).
Quote:
3 - After installing Pro Tools first my laptop seemed to have a virus all of a sudden. After some investigating I found the software was trying to run stuff in the background, during start up, and every time I turned my Wifi on.
Just when launching PTF or ?

Thanks.
Old 02-07-2017, 07:45 PM

Some thoughts to ponder:
1-PT First is really a "teaser" and will likely disappoint anyone that uses regular Pro Tools some of the time.
2-You CAN choose to uninstall the App Manager.
3-as said, you would need an internet connection to create a "Project", but you can create a "Session" without a connection.
4-You could choose a different DAW for the laptop(like Cuckos Reaper) that are cheap or free. Its pretty easy to export wave files for each track and import them into a Pro Tools session on another system.
5-post a Sandra report on the laptop so the experts can maybe spot some hardware issue you might not be aware of(for instance, if you are trying to record to the laptop's internal drive, and its NOT an approved drive. Many laptops use a 5400 RPM drive, which is bad for recording

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-08-2017, 05:47 AM

I think the fact that it even came out is a bummer. Seeing Avid spend time, money and - first of all - manpower on a project like this, when the company itself and their main products, for which I paid a lot of money, are in such a dire state.
It's so typical for Avid, they want it all, the advertising factor and the money. So they release a free feature-limited product but with limited storage and it is incompatible to their main product but then ... offer a paid storage upgrade......

Instead they should either have released:
- a feature-limited free product with unlimited storage that is compatible to the main product. So kids can work from their bedroom, then mix at that friend's studio... and buy the whole thing when they have gotten used to it and have the money.
or
- an time-unlimited demo version of the full product, limited to 3 projects. This wouldn't be suitable for professionals, but would allow students and newcomers to explore the powerful potential of the software.

But no, it's Avid...
Old 02-08-2017, 07:41 AM

Exactly Sonopolis - I thought they used to have a feature/track limited version of the software for exactly that purpose and thought that was what I was getting.

I thought First would only record to the web - instead of the internal HD. I was not able to get it open a session without WiFi. I saw a reply about being able to work offline after the session is initiated. I was unable to do that but I am not going to try it again.
Old 02-08-2017, 07:46 AM

Jeffro - I realize I could do multiple songs in any of the three sessions but if I can't record to my own internal HD then I am limited to ??gigs of online storage until I BUY more online storage.

Is there a way to run First and record directly to your audio HD?

I am OK with the idea of online storage as a 2nd or 3rd back up. But not with streaming online audio to run a session.

I realize that getting First as free software would be fun for someone that isn't working on serious projects. Fun for a classroom tool as long as it is going to get erased each hour for the next class.

Still happy with the Scarlett for the purpose I bought it for and the free plugs also made it a smart purchase for $100.
Old 02-08-2017, 07:49 AM

I understood it is part of collaboration.
Old 02-08-2017, 07:50 AM

Jeffro - my PC seemed to have a virus immediately after installing First. It didn't matter if I was actually running First or not. As soon as my PC fired up I could open task manager and watch as First starting running applications. It would also automatically high-light some of my desktop folders (mainly the First icon) and create some other weird visual glitches.
Old 02-13-2017, 04:33 PM

First time poster here, yes, Pro Tools first is a bummer.
I CANNOT get it to work with my Scarlett Focusrite 18i8.
My computer is a Dell with a dua core i7 processor, I have 8GB of RAM and am fed up with Pro Tools|First.
I think I'll try using something else, anything but Pro Tools.
Old 03-12-2017, 09:47 PM

+1 for the OP.

This software is horrific. Nothing works.

AVID - What were you guys thinking putting this lousy pile of garbage out into the wild?