Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack

Old 08-19-2015, 04:38 PM

Default Re: 11R SPDIF intermittent problems?

Is the session set up to use the Eleven Rack as the clock source? Most likely mistake is it is using an internal clock in that session.
Old 08-19-2015, 04:53 PM

This is with no DAW open, just jamming, monitoring through Mixcontrol software mixer, where i can change the sample rate manually.

I'm thinking I'll be doing sessions at 48 from now on anyway, but it's still odd...
Old 08-19-2015, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jclark5093 View Post
This is with no DAW open, just jamming, monitoring through Mixcontrol software mixer, where i can change the sample rate manually.

I'm thinking I'll be doing sessions at 48 from now on anyway, but it's still odd...
Well you stated by saying when you "open a project..." so that was with a DAW. So you change the clock rate in MixContrrol.. and you are remembering to always change it on the Eleven Rack as well right (and setting the ER to Internal Clock)?

It is possible you have a system that has something broken at 96kHz. There are no known general problem with the Eleven Rack at 96kHz , but there could always be just a busted unit. You might check with your interface vendor for any known problems there. if you had any other device capable of receive or transmitting at 96Khz it would also be easy to debug which box is the likely problem here.

If you do end up needing/wanting to record at 96 kHz another test to try is to connect a second S/PDIF cable from the interface S/PDIF Out to the Eleven Rack S/PDIF In and try to get the Eleven Rack to clock from that. If the Eleven Rack S/PDIF Out or interface S/PDIF In ports don't work at all at 96kHz then it will still of course fail, but maybe an interesting test.
Old 08-19-2015, 08:05 PM

Right now I have it set with 2 cables, in/out, 11R is always slave and can't change clock setting on 11R, it auto changes when it receives new rate (from the SP40).

You're right, I did open a project, and that's how I discovered it. The project (in logic) automatically changed my SP40 (and mix control showed this) to 96k. That, in turn, sent the update to the 11R and it showed on the panel that 96k was the sample rate, but started the clicking business. I'm going to take a quick screen video later to show what I'm talking about, maybe someone can identify the correct technical terminology for what I'm seeing.

The weirdest thing is that it worked at 96 yesterday, when I recorded that logic session with the 11R!!! (To see how it functions in non-PT daws). I end up just powering down the 11R so the clicking will stop haha, it feels ridiculous that "production" hardware could be this finicky.
Old 08-19-2015, 08:15 PM

Question Re: 11R SPDIF intermittent problems?

Clicking could occur if both devices are set to Internal sync (even if both are set to the same Sample Rate - you need to 'resolve' them by having one be the master and other the slave - you can still send audio either direction).

Can you open the Eleven Rack control panel (Apple > System Preferences > Eleven Rack) and make sure the Digital Input/Clock Source is set to S/PDIF?
Old 08-19-2015, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Right now I have it set with 2 cables, in/out, 11R is always slave and can't change clock setting on 11R, it auto changes when it receives new rate (from the SP40).
You seem to be going around in circles, remember when I suggested starting of as simple as possible with one S/PDIF cable and the ER as the clock source and the clock rate set manually set in the Eleven Rack and session. Does that work? At all sample rates? If not what debugging did you do? Swap to a different S/PDIF cable? Wiggle the cables/connectors? Power cycle everything?
Old 08-19-2015, 08:23 PM

Jeffro - I'll check that next chance I get.

Mr Ramm, yes, simple as possible first. And it worked so immediately and so responsively (in regards to clocking the SP40 via the 11R master) that I went ahead and plugged in the second cable to see if I could use it in slave mode since my SP40 is on more often than the 11R. It worked great. I can now use my ADA8200 as the master over ADAT, the SP40 gets the clock (Max 48) and then the 11R gets 48 from the SP40. Things were running smoothly Monday and Tuesday. Today opening one of the same sessions that worked fine, suddenly doesn't work. Nothing has changed in my system or cabling.

Maybe boot order? Maybe I'm turning on the sp40 and 11r and the same time and the 11r boots faster, and is left orphaned without a master? Doesn't sound stupid, I'll play with boot order later and see what happens...
Old 08-19-2015, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Jeffro - I'll check that next chance I get.

Mr Ramm, yes, simple as possible first. And it worked so immediately and so responsively (in regards to clocking the SP40 via the 11R master) that I went ahead and plugged in the second cable to see if I could use it in slave mode since my SP40 is on more often than the 11R. It worked great. I can now use my ADA8200 as the master over ADAT, the SP40 gets the clock (Max 48) and then the 11R gets 48 from the SP40. Things were running smoothly Monday and Tuesday. Today opening one of the same sessions that worked fine, suddenly doesn't work. Nothing has changed in my system or cabling.

Maybe boot order? Maybe I'm turning on the sp40 and 11r and the same time and the 11r boots faster, and is left orphaned without a master? Doesn't sound stupid, I'll play with boot order later and see what happens...
Go back to first principles, unplug stuff and test if 96kHz works from the Eleven Rack to the SP40 at all with as simple as setup as you can.. which is one S/PDIF cable, Eleven Rack internally clocked and the SP40 clocking from it's S/PDIF In. test at all clock rates. Add more crap to this pile once you know if it is working. And while doing basic debugging unplug absolutely everything else you do not need.

And that Berringher ADAT preamp only does ADAT at up to 48kHz (no SMUX support). Right? So how are you operating a session with or clocking anything from that ADAT at 96kHz? Tick, tick, tick, do we have a winner?
Old 08-19-2015, 08:56 PM

No no, that was a different session, I was just providing evidence that it behaves well as a slave as does the SP40 with the Behringer as master. It was not on for the 96k session, and the sp40 is set to internal whenever the Behringer is not in use (one less cable, right?)

I get it. I'll test again with 1 spdif cable.
Old 08-19-2015, 08:58 PM

I have lost clock on this thread