Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools | Intro Discussion

Old 07-22-2019, 04:21 AM

Default ilok question

So, last month i filed an RMA for a lost ilok. i only had the old protools express version (i hadnt used it since 2014), i was going to get back into recording myself instead of driving to my current engineers studio, so i was just going to use express to work on some ideas etc in between sessions. well i couldnt find it so i filed the RMA you know the deal......well i found the ilok the other day lol

but i have already decided on having a new laptop built so i can just get back into it the way i need to.(its arriving the 1st) im going to buy the full version of protools in a couple weeks, question is if i just make new accounts with a different email etc, can i use the ilok i found? or will i have to buy a new one? i know i can do the ilok cloud, but id prefer to have a physical object storing it all. (unless you guys believe the cloud is a solid method)
Old 07-22-2019, 08:13 AM

Default Re: ilok question

What does your ilok look like? Most likely it is a green/blue ilok (ilok1). Those won’t work with recent versions anyway. You need an ilok2 (black with blue ring) or ilok3 (metal)

So no point wasting time.

(And the cloud is flaky. Don’t bother. Just buy a new ilok. )
Pro Tools Ult 2024.3, HDX 2, MTRX/SPQ, RME BBF Pro + MADIface Pro • S1 x 2, Fire HD10 + Max11, Dock, iPad Air5 • Mac Mini 14,12, 12 core, macOS 13.6.5 • RAM 32GB, SSD 4TB, GPU 19 core • QNAP TVS-872XT 148TB TB3
Old 07-22-2019, 10:42 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelsMad03 View Post
So, last month i filed an RMA for a lost ilok. i only had the old protools express version (i hadnt used it since 2014), i was going to get back into recording myself instead of driving to my current engineers studio, so i was just going to use express to work on some ideas etc in between sessions. well i couldnt find it so i filed the RMA you know the deal......well i found the ilok the other day lol

but i have already decided on having a new laptop built so i can just get back into it the way i need to.(its arriving the 1st) im going to buy the full version of protools in a couple weeks, question is if i just make new accounts with a different email etc, can i use the ilok i found? or will i have to buy a new one? i know i can do the ilok cloud, but id prefer to have a physical object storing it all. (unless you guys believe the cloud is a solid method)
Like what BScout said. Latest Pro Tools needs an iLok2 or iLok3 USB Dongle. The found iLok will not work with the latest version.

-Tope
Old 07-22-2019, 10:44 AM

It's the 2nd gen version actually. I was jw since it's been reported lost will it work with a new account and software
Old 07-22-2019, 10:54 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelsMad03 View Post
It's the 2nd gen version actually. I was jw since it's been reported lost will it work with a new account and software
It will not work anymore if they completed the process of the reported iLok as lost. The iLok will be disabled.
Old 07-22-2019, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
It will not work anymore if they completed the process of the reported iLok as lost. The iLok will be disabled.
What Tope said as Pace disables the iLok reported within a few hours and then the reported iLok is useless for ever and cant be reinstated. To the Bin it goes.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 07-22-2019, 04:36 PM

I figured as much hahaha. Thanks guys!