Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools | Intro Discussion

Old 07-11-2019, 07:26 PM

Default Good Alternative Rock Tone

Hello Pro Tools Community!

I’ve recently begun experimenting with recording as my band wants
to start working on an album. I’ve got some pretty good mixes going
but I can’t get a guitar tone that isn’t too distorted or not distorted enough.

My “sound goal” - I love the guitar tone in this: https://youtu.be/h3VbquoyZ4w

My equipment -
I’m recording in the latest version of Pro Tools First
I’m recording through a Scarlet Solo audio interface through
the DI. I purchased the Eleven MKII amp sim, and I use a Boss ME80 pedal board.

What I’ve tried (recording methods) -
I’ve plugged the pedalboard directly into the DI on the AI, I’ve tried doing the previously listed and running it through a clean amp with the MKII sim, and I’ve tried plugging the guitar into the DI and using the amo sim only.

Suggestions on getting a similar tone?
Thank you so much!
Old 07-11-2019, 07:56 PM

Default Re: Good Alternative Rock Tone

I would use either the pedal board or the plugin but not both at the same time. Choose an amp and dial in the amount of drive you want and don't add any distortion pedal in front. Research on the gear that was used in that recording you are referencing. Double track and pan hard LR
Old 07-11-2019, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amagras View Post
I would use either the pedal board or the plugin but not both at the same time. Choose an amp and dial in the amount of drive you want and don't add any distortion pedal in front. Research on the gear that was used in that recording you are referencing. Double track and pan hard LR
Thanks for the info. Here's some info I probably should have included in the OP. I've only played using default amp settings and preset settings by my bands lead guitarist. I've never known how to properly get good guitar tones or what they sound like. I'm looking for help more in that sense, how to use the bass, mid, treble, and gain knobs, etc. Everything I've come up with sounds over distorted or under distorted.

I came up with this tone, and it sounds really good imo, but I haven't been able to recreate it and I didn't save it anywhere. I just know it was done using the MKII plugin.
Old 07-12-2019, 05:38 AM

Maybe this can help understand the tone controls on a guitar amp, it's a tutorial about clean tones but it explain more than that
https://youtu.be/0ta7tHO-4Iw
Or this
https://youtu.be/xfH7_NI0Fj4
Old 07-13-2019, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gosintary_ View Post
Thanks for the info. Here's some info I probably should have included in the OP. I've only played using default amp settings and preset settings by my bands lead guitarist. I've never known how to properly get good guitar tones or what they sound like. I'm looking for help more in that sense, how to use the bass, mid, treble, and gain knobs, etc. Everything I've come up with sounds over distorted or under distorted.

I came up with this tone, and it sounds really good imo, but I haven't been able to recreate it and I didn't save it anywhere. I just know it was done using the MKII plugin.
If you like your guitarist sound then I would use his. If you are able to mic his amp? When I mic my amps, guitars amps anyways I generally use 3 mic’s 1 on axis, another off axis and the third a room mic and then mix the three with a bit of playing around you should be able to get it pretty close. Also I usually run through a DI first which then splits off a send a guitar signal directly to the desk and one to the guitar amp. I also turn off any effects like reverb and such (except the overdrive if I’m liking it) as I like to add that later. There are some nice guitar plugs about as a amagras suggested.... I like BIAS FX myself. There are a million ways to find that ultimate guitar sounds and can be quite a journey to get there so good luck
2.2GHz 6 core 8 gen Intel Core i7 processor (TB’s to 4.1GHz)
32 Gb of 2400MHz DDR4, 1T SSD, Magic Mouse and Keyboard
Pro Tools 2022.7 -23.# - HEAT applied, RME Fireface UCX II
........and a bowl of M&M's
———————————————————————————