Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools | Intro Discussion

Old 05-27-2019, 01:51 PM

Default Simple operation questions

I used an older version of Protools years ago, but can't figure out how to:
- scrub...the simplest editing too -- but can't find it
- when I try to save, it says can't reach the server (I'm logged on)

Protools is probably overkill, but I'm used to it and just want to use for simple audio projects -- one or 2 tracks (on my local hard drive).

SPIDER
Old 05-27-2019, 08:22 PM

Default Re: Simple operation questions

Re "scrub", look near the top of the EDIT window for the "button" with the speaker on it(F8, maybe?). With that selected, click and drag across an audio clip. For anything else, nobody can offer much advice with zero info on your setup

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 05-29-2019, 12:52 PM

Not being able to reach the server could be a lot of things.
On your side, make sure your system or network isn't blocking the calls to the Avid cloud services. Maybe turn off your virus scan and firewall just long enough to test if it works.

System Details
Old 05-30-2019, 07:47 AM

OK...got everything working. I can create, edit and save projects to my hard drive -- no server needed.

But SCRUB editing still doesn't work. See the attachment -- there is no icon (speaker) for this. "Help" says I should be able to click F9 and move back and forth on the waveform to hear the audio, but nothing happens. All the other editing functions work OK.

I spent years back in the day -- with razor blade in hand -- editing tape this way (rocking the reel back and forth to find the edit point) and in the past Protools could mimick this perfectly.

Thanks,
SPIDER
Attached Images
File Type: jpg protools_editwindow.jpg (40.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-30-2019, 09:45 AM

Hmmm, This might be another limitation of "First"? It works here. Your screen shot shows that there is more info available than you have displayed, so maybe take a look at what's hidden(again, subject to the limitations of the free version). On regular Pro Tools(EDIT window) at the far right corner of the area where you see tools and transport buttons, there is a circle with an arrow pointing downward. Clicking on that allows you to select what tools and info appear across the top. You may need to make a choice to invest in the full version of the software, or explore other cheap/free software(Cuckos Reaper can be fully demo'd for free, but I'm not sure if scrubbing is a function they offer).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave