Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-11-2012, 11:34 AM

Unhappy should I switch to PT 10 from Logic 9???

Hello PT users-

I am a long time Logic user who also owns Pro Tools 9 native - pretty much only in order to transfer sessions into Logic 9. I am still using Logic 9.1.5 as I tried upgrading to 9.1.6 and it was a BAD experience so I rolled back to 9.1.5.

Just yesterday I opened a song that I had recorded for a band, to continue to work on it from previous day... now when I open this song, Logic has decided to not recognize the correct sample rate and is now playing these recorded tracks at 44.1k.....when both my hardware (Metric Halo 2882) as well as Logic are set to 88.2. This, as well as other small odd behaviors are starting to get in the way of my work so I am seriously considering jumping over to using my *version* of Pro Tools 9 native or possibly buying PT Ten Native.

I have not researched Pro Tools Ten as I am actually pissed-off that Pro Tools Ten came out only a little over one year from when I bought Pro Tools 9! I know most of you understand that... right?

My question- should I purchase Pro Tools Ten Native version? If so, why? Does Pro Tools Ten Native at least give me the ability to control Software Monitoring like Logic 9 does?? I bought Pro Tools 9 under the assumption that it was finally a "nice" DAW that would at least function at the same level that Logic 9 functions.....boy was I wrong!! All I got for my 400 bucks was the ability to NOT have to use the Mbox Mini that came with Pro Tools 8.... and let me tell you how terrible the audio quality is from that little blue box!!
I could not believe that AVID-Digi would actually sell something that right out of the box has a terrible background whine and ground buzz... so from my very first purchase of Pro Tools which was 7.4 with a voucher to upgrade to Pro Tools 8 Ive had terrible results which I was under the assumption that my purchasing Pro Tools 9 would take care of.
That of course was incorrect. So you can see my trepidation at giving AVID another 300 to 500 bucks for Pro Tools Ten Native.

Ive been using Logic 9 with my three Metric Halo 2882+DSP 2d units very successfully until recently. If I want to have the same functionality with Pro Tools it is my understanding that I would have to buy Pro Tools Ten HD plus some kind of AVID firewire/HD card or module etc which in all likelyhood would cost a total of between $3000.00 to $5000.00 I am a working audio engineer-producer that relies on this income in order to live paycheck to paycheck so I simply cannot afford to shell out that kind of money for Pro Tools HD. It would also be very tough to come up with the $ just to buy the native version of PT Ten however if PT Ten Native has the same functionality as Logic 9 does I would try to make it happen.

Anyone??

Thanks

David
Old 04-11-2012, 11:56 AM

Default Re: should I switch to PT 10 from Logic 9???

Seems Like You've Answered Your Own Question's, If Your Looking for the Same Functionality, Why Would You Move?
Old 04-12-2012, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabdickson View Post
Seems Like You've Answered Your Own Question's, If Your Looking for the Same Functionality, Why Would You Move?
That makes sense to me
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.