Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-14-2015, 03:21 PM

First question is, will your computer run Pro Tools. Please see the "Help Us Help You" Thread in the Stickies and post a Sandra Report.

As mentioned, as a minimum, you need PT LE 8 and the update to 8.0.5 to run Pro Tools on Windows 7. That's a paid upgrade from the PT LE 7 you have. However, it's been a long time since that upgrade was available. You may be able to find someone who will sell or even give you the necessary 8 and 8.0.5, but, to get a transfer of ownership, they need to sell/give you hardware since Pro Tools, until version 9 was authorized by a Digidesign/Avid interface. If your friend's PT LE 7.0 and Mbox has never been registered with Avid, I'd do that as soon as possible in your name.

You may be able to find an upgrade from PT LE to Pro Tools 11, but they too are few and far between. That is a paid upgrade and requires that the serial number from your Mbox has not been used for an upgrade. If you do find an LE to 11 upgrade, you will need an iLok2 for the license for Pro Tools 11 and downloads for Pro Tools 11, the Air Creative Collection and the proper drivers. However, you won't have access to Pro Tools 12 or any upgrades going forward, but you can purchase Pro Tools 12 and an Annual Support Plan for an additional $199 as an upgrade from PT 11. In addition to the upgrade to 12 you will also get 1 year of updates/upgrades and standard support. You have until the end of 2015 to make that decision.

If you do go up to 12 from 11, there's no need to install 11, but you will need an iLok2 for the Pro Tools 12 license and downloads for Pro Tools 12, the First AIR Effects Bundle, the First AIR Instruments Bundle, the XPand2 installer and the proper driver.

With either Pro Tools 11 or 12 you will also need the iLok License Manager software.

You really first need to post a Sandra Report to let us see if your computer is even going to be compatible with Pro Tools.

Unfortunately, at Pro Tools 7, you are very far behind and it is going to be complicated and costly to get up-to-date. If you are looking at getting into digital recording and Pro Tools is not a requirement/priority, I would seriously suggest you look at Reaper (www.reaper.fm) and, if possible find a driver that allows you to use the Mbox you have or, selling/trading in the MBox and purchasing a Focusrite Scarlett interface or similar that has the I/O you need.

HTH
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 05-14-2015, 03:50 PM

Okay, just found this:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/daw-s...questid=266125

Cheers,
SonoBus

Last edited by The Weed; 05-14-2015 at 06:04 PM.
Old 05-14-2015, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Weed View Post
But again, as far as I can see, it does not include the Annual Support Plan, which, to stay current, you would need purchase before the end of 2015 if you want to stay current, or the iLok2.
"1 year of standard support included" is listed under Features on that page - which means it does come with a support plan.
Old 05-14-2015, 06:03 PM

Thanks, I didn't get that far. Also includes the iLok2, so it's a pretty good deal if he wants to use Pro Tools. Still the question of whether his computer is compatible.

Up here I can only find an LE to 11 upgrade with no ASP or iLok2. I have a friend also wanting to move up from 7.

Cheers,
SonoBus