Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-26-2011, 06:47 PM

Default Magma chassis

I just purchased the Magma chassis so I could expand my HD3 and upgrade to PTv9.

However, my PC does not seem to recognize the Magma. I have talked to Avid support and they suggest I talk to the Magma support. I intend to call Magma tomorrow.

Has anybody here had trouble using a Magma chassis with an ASUS Rampage III Formula mobo with X58 chipset and an i7 6 core CPU?

Thanks,

-Andres
Old 05-27-2011, 11:18 AM
Avid

Default Re: Magma chassis

Which Magma chassis model is this?
Old 05-28-2011, 08:26 AM

the Magma chassis is a PE6R4. I have been on the phone with Magma support and Avid support several times-back and forth--and I still cannot get it working. I can see the Digidesign DSP card in the Device Manager and Magma says that the cards are all recognized but the drivers are not being loaded correctly. Digi support said that the Magma serial number has to start with a 'B2' and my serial number starts with a 'A3' so they say that I need a hardware upgrade from Magma.

Where I stand now is that Magma has confirmed that the B2 serial number issue has been fixed and that all Magma chassis' now have the upgrade and since this is a new chassis that is no longer an issue. So now I go back to Digi support next Tuesday after the Holiday.

-Andres
Old 06-15-2011, 02:12 PM

a bold move to try,
install PT8 instead and see if that works,
i am using 4 slot chasis, and have no problems, if you can see the cards then it's installed right "that simple"
if you can't see some cards, then make sure that the drivers from PT installed ok "reinstall-repair" and check that IRQ address of the ACCELL card isn't shared with the AGP, if it is, try a different PCI slot on the motherboard for the host card. i found that to be a common issue, as the Core card is ok to share IRQ , but not the Accell card .... just a thought.

Old 06-15-2011, 04:22 PM

The whole point of this/these exercise(s) is to upgrade to PT 9 and subsequent updates.

Most of the folks making this effort to get a Magma chassis, or find a Sandy Bridge PCI motherboard seem to already have PT 8.x working fine on their existing systems. Downgrading to PT8 defeats the purpose.

Media Man
Old 06-15-2011, 07:42 PM

You've probably already gotten past this possibility, but is it all possible that this is an "old" chassis that has been sitting on a dealer's shelf for some time, and therefore might not have the upgrade?
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 06-15-2011, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andres Gonzalez View Post
the Magma chassis is a PE6R4. I have been on the phone with Magma support and Avid support several times-back and forth--and I still cannot get it working. I can see the Digidesign DSP card in the Device Manager and Magma says that the cards are all recognized but the drivers are not being loaded correctly. Digi support said that the Magma serial number has to start with a 'B2' and my serial number starts with a 'A3' so they say that I need a hardware upgrade from Magma.

Where I stand now is that Magma has confirmed that the B2 serial number issue has been fixed and that all Magma chassis' now have the upgrade and since this is a new chassis that is no longer an issue. So now I go back to Digi support next Tuesday after the Holiday.

-Andres
Open the Magma cover-check revision on daughter card should be B2 rev for it to work on both PC and MAC . A1-3 work for MAC but not for PC. Had similar problem b4 and they exhange my daughter card wtih b2.