Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-13-1999, 11:26 AM

Default Can\'t find session icon

I'm doing a CD for a local band on PT24. There are ten songs and each is a seperate session. On nine of the ten, I've had no problem finding the session icon when I went to archive, but on one song I simply can't get it to appear. Even if I use the find accessory on the Mac, all the folders and files come up, and I can still recall the session without a problem for laying down more tracks.

But I can't archive on Mezzo until I get the session icon (the "reel" thing that says "24") to appear. And no matter what file or folder I click on, I just can't get it to appear.

Anyone know what the problem might be?
Old 12-13-1999, 03:18 PM

Default Re: Can\'t find session icon

If you don't have a session icon, how DO you recall the session without a problem? It would be a good trick to know.
Old 12-13-1999, 03:33 PM

I use the MAC "FIND" command and type the name of the session into the box. A screen will come up which has several files and a folder. Double-clicking on the last one which says "folder" will EITHER give me the session icon OR the session will simply boot up...as though I HAD clicked the session icon.

But I'm having no problem getting into the session. I've had the problem with that particular session for almost two weeks now, and I'm always able to get in and record, and it keeps the new tracks without any problem. Just can't find the $^%*!! icon.

I'm worried because this Pro Tools system is used by about 20 people (it's at a university's NPR radio station) and somebody could very easily accidentally (or deliberately) delete my session -- though at the moment there'd be no reason to (plenty of hard drive space available). But un-archived files HAVE been deleted in the past.
Old 12-13-1999, 05:10 PM

Have you rebuilt the desktop? That cures most icon-related problems.
Old 12-13-1999, 07:03 PM

How about "Save as" under a different name...will that session also vanish?
Old 12-13-1999, 11:19 PM

If rebuilding the desktop does NOT fix the problem, I would not suggest continued work in that corrupted session. If sounds kind of scarey to have the session open simply by opening the folder it's in...

And if I were working on a system that was shared by even 2 other people, I'd try my best to back up all my work regularly, and keep the backup in my personal posession.

Besides the two above very-good suggestions, you could also try a 'save copy in' and see if that gets things right, or you could try to track-transfer all your tracks into a properly-identifying session (IF, that is, Track Transfer can find this mysterious session). Or you could simply re-edit everything when this session goes completely bad.
Old 12-14-1999, 07:42 AM

Thanks, folks, for the suggestions. Robert, I did try "save as" and renamed the session, to no avail. The EXACT same thing happened. MrKewitAll, I actually DID try making a copy of the session and I have the same problem with the copy, so there must be something very unusual about how the session was filed away. However, I did take your advice about not continuing with that session. I exported the files, created a new session and imported them into a new session. I DO get the session icon with the new session.

Tim, I'm not sure I would know how to rebuild the desktop. What's involved? We're getting a Pro Tools system at the TV station in February, so I might as well learn this stuff.