Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2005, 09:13 AM

Default Performance and cross-talk problems

First Problem: I recently recorded a three piece band using my Digi001 running PTLE. I ended up with reference vocals bleeding on to every instrument track. Is there any way to avoid this in the future? Second Problem: I'm running two hard drives, but performance is still bad and even after I set the buffers to their highest setting, the session shuts down after adjusting a few of the effects. Is there any recommendations for external drives, and if so, can I retro-fit my tracks to those drives if I add them on? How do I do that? Currently PT is the only thing running on my PC (733mhz)
Old 11-02-2005, 10:11 AM

Default Re: Performance and cross-talk problems

Do you mean electronic crosstalk or acoustic bleed...

I'm under the impression that you mean acoustic bleed, in which case you'll either need a quieter singer or some means of isolating him from the rest of the group...like an iso booth or letting him do his scratch vox from inside the control room while the rest of the guys are elsewhere in the studio.
Old 11-02-2005, 11:15 AM

Thanks for the input. Actually, everyone went direct except for the vocalist. The drums were Roland V-drums divided over 4 tracks, and each of the four tracks have ghost vocals. I've been able to EQ most of it out by copy/pasting the drum tracks and isolating snare, hihat, ride, etc on separate tracks, but it's still present to some extent. Bass was direct-boxed into the console, and a reference track for guitar was done using a Line 6 POD direct.
Old 11-02-2005, 01:45 PM

Did you have a prefader send on the old vocal track or something...under normal conditions this is the only thing I can think of that may have led to a "ghost" as you call it.
Old 11-02-2005, 03:10 PM

Mmmmm...PC at 733 mhz. PIII/ Celeron? Whatever, that could be your first problem as far as performance is concerned right there.

Cheers,
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 11-02-2005, 10:04 PM

with regard to crosstalk, are you using a console or is everything plugged directly into the 001?

if you are using a console, i'd suggest it could possibly be a wiring/patching fault or a fault with the console.