Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 01-18-2009, 06:03 AM

Default Is there any way to use a Win pc as a Mac?

Hi,

I currently use PT7 on a Mac, but since my new PC is way faster than the Mac.
I consider to move to the PC to use PT.

My problem is I am an assistant engineer at a commercial studio, our PT HD rig is based on Macs, so need to remember the Mac shortcuts.

Is there any way to use a Mac keyboard and use PT on Win like using it on a Mac? If someone has took this route, please let me know what you had to do.

I'd appreciate.
Old 01-18-2009, 07:13 AM

Default Re: Is there any way to use a Win pc as a Mac?

I *think* that you might be able to but you have to find the right drivers for it. I was looking for this a while back because I like the new iMac slim keyboards, but you need to be able to find a driver that is tweaked for Windows. Also, I'm not sure if the shortcuts would transfer seeing as those Mac shortcuts are built in a Mac OS and PCs recognize different shortcuts - that would be my guess at least. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 01-18-2009, 07:28 AM

Look for a utility that allows remapping the keys(I know they are out there somewhere). Really, I think you only need to remap the windows and Alt keys to match the apple and option keys so it should be simple once you find the utility.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 01-18-2009, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Look for a utility that allows remapping the keys(I know they are out there somewhere). Really, I think you only need to remap the windows and Alt keys to match the apple and option keys so it should be simple once you find the utility.
There is one command (that I know of) that is still different. It's the Tab to Previous Region Boundary command:

MAC- opt+tab

PC- cntrl+tab

-Justin
Old 01-18-2009, 12:25 PM

or push L

a little more ergonomic
Old 01-18-2009, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiogeekzine View Post
or push L

a little more ergonomic

Yes! very true... but its use depends on preference of course. I tend to only use that area of the keyboard (L, P, ;, and ') if I already have my hand of the mouse.

-Justin
Old 01-18-2009, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
I can easily write a Skunk Works script for that. Just let me know which keys need to be remapped and I'll get it done and post it in the Skunk Works thread. No need for a whole new driver.

Having said that, I should also create another script to do the opposite because I want one of those cool slim Mac Keyboards and use it with my PC rig.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 01-18-2009, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan View Post
I can easily write a Skunk Works script for that. Just let me know which keys need to be remapped and I'll get it done and post it in the Skunk Works thread. No need for a whole new driver.

Having said that, I should also create another script to do the opposite because I want one of those cool slim Mac Keyboards and use it with my PC rig.

Shane
Please do this! I really wanted one of those slim mac keyboards but the only reason I wasn't getting it was because I didn't know if it worked on my PC...the only alternative is the Logitech ultra slim keyboard they came out with...but it doesn't look nearly as sweet.
Old 01-18-2009, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eviani View Post
Please do this! I really wanted one of those slim mac keyboards but the only reason I wasn't getting it was because I didn't know if it worked on my PC...the only alternative is the Logitech ultra slim keyboard they came out with...but it doesn't look nearly as sweet.
A remapping script is easy to do, but I need to know what is what...and I need some guinea pigs to test it up here in the cloud.

Free for LE users...$500 for the TDM version because their special. I'll make the remapping "sound" better for that crowd.

As a side note, there was a guy years ago that planned on putting his Tyan Opteron Quad in a Mac case. Not sure if he actually pulled it off though.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 01-18-2009, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan View Post
A remapping script is easy to do, but I need to know what is what...and I need some guinea pigs to test it up here in the cloud.

Free for LE users...$500 for the TDM version because their special. I'll make the remapping "sound" better for that crowd.

As a side note, there was a guy years ago that planned on putting his Tyan Opteron Quad in a Mac case. Not sure if he actually pulled it off though.

Shane
I know I'm in the wrong forum, but I've learned more here....I'm an M-Powered user, I'd be GLAD to test this out on a mac keyboard if you could make a script for that