How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins

Old 03-29-2023, 02:23 PM

Default Re: Waves Creative Access?

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmusic9 View Post
Greed then fear as a company mantra does nothing to instill confidence in a company going forward.
Tin foil hat time:

They knew exactly what they were doing. Flipping the subscription bit on Sunday, after AVID released M1 Native Pro Tools on Friday the 24th. This was intended to catch studios and PT owners with their pants down, aka maximize folks exposure with lapsed WUP plans who weren't already on version 14. You want M1 native? Subscribe.
Old 03-29-2023, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noiseboyuk View Post
Controversial view ahead… that’s not the lesson I take from this.

I know it’s hard to imagine how they couldn’t have know the reaction was inevitable, doing it without warning. They figured they were big and bad enough to ride out some inevitable backlash, that enough would be tempted to make it worthwhile.

They were wrong. This is total humiliation. They saw the writing on the wall for the company. It is a delightful irony this happened the same week as the Israeli people’s fight back against the attacks on the judiciary. It’s not a popular view in a cynical world, but sometimes people power really does work.

So where do they go from here? They now have what they should have had all along. Their rich heritage from selling permanent licenses with a vast customer base, and their shiny new all-you-can-rent model. We saw their brave new world just on subs and it lasted precisely three days.

Unlike many, I love many Waves plugs. Clarity VX is best in class. Soundshifter, ancient that it is, is outstanding for what it does. I’m not fearful of the future of how they treat me. We won. They did actually listen - maybe not from the kindness of their corporate hearts, but because they faced an existential threat. So if they release something new that is great, unique and useful to me, I’ll probably be there.

I AGREE! I have made enough with Clarity VX Pro just on my last job in one day of mixing a series of short 30 sec spots to run nationally to well cover my costs with any of this in time value of money and so it's a no brainer. A great product and not natively supported, fixes a lot for me along with some of their Atmos plugins I have been using. Mix Hub is another one I use a fair amount. Still happy with the overall verdict in the end from Waves. Other people may not agree, but for me it's quite doable.

G

G
Composer/Sound Designer/Protools 2024.3 Ultimate, MTRXII-TB3, DADMAN MOM, Cisco SG350-10MP EthernetHUB, KLANG:quelle 4 Channel Dante™Headphone Amp, DVS,MADI, Mac Studio Ultra,128 RAM/4TB SSD, Ventura 13.6.5, DP 11.3, Logic Pro X 10.8.1 DOLBY ATMOS Facility/MPSE Motion Picture Sound Editors Avid Certified Professional ProTools/Dolby ATMOS
Old 03-29-2023, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnjlee View Post
Tin foil hat time:

They knew exactly what they were doing. Flipping the subscription bit on Sunday, after AVID released M1 Native Pro Tools on Friday the 24th. This was intended to catch studios and PT owners with their pants down, aka maximize folks exposure with lapsed WUP plans who weren't already on version 14. You want M1 native? Subscribe.
Waves had this plan over a month ago. Including the date. That's when they started asking everyone to register their codes. That was the reason for that.

Avid doesn't tell developers when they are planning for their next release. The date of release can move due to beta testing.
Old 03-29-2023, 07:42 PM

Looks like they're backpedaling and they've changed their story. It feels like my wife cheated on me and she's telling me she'll never do it again. I'm not so sure I believe it.

Last edited by thebeatless; 03-30-2023 at 08:13 AM.
Old 03-29-2023, 08:11 PM

Waves making perpetual licences and updates available again. Letter from CEO

https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=424097
Old 03-29-2023, 09:16 PM

I'm still getting emails saying I have to subscribe to update.

I goto my account and this is what it says.

As of March 26, 2023, the Waves Update Plan can no longer be extended for Waves plugins which are now available as subscriptions only. Waves subscriptions include all software updates plus VIP technical support for the included plugins.

Still.
Almost every plugin
Old 03-29-2023, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiolex1 View Post
I'm still getting emails saying I have to subscribe to update.

I goto my account and this is what it says.

As of March 26, 2023, the Waves Update Plan can no longer be extended for Waves plugins which are now available as subscriptions only. Waves subscriptions include all software updates plus VIP technical support for the included plugins.

Still.
Obviously time’s still needed for Waves to re-organize, for individual plug-in pages to re-appear again - only Subscription page is currently available.

When available, links for Moderator JFreak:

Waves C6
https://www.waves.com/plugins/c6-mul...4aAtyTEALw_wcB

Waves L3 and L3-LL Multimaximizers
https://www.waves.com/plugins/l3-ll-ultramaximizer
Old 03-29-2023, 11:45 PM

“We are currently putting all our efforts into making perpetual licenses available to you again, as quickly as possible. In the meantime, you can keep up-to-date on this webpage, where we will post real-time updates as they are available”

https://www.waves.com/news/perpetual...enses-are-back
Old 03-30-2023, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkJE View Post
“We are currently putting all our efforts into making perpetual licenses available to you again, as quickly as possible. In the meantime, you can keep up-to-date on this webpage, where we will post real-time updates as they are available”

https://www.waves.com/news/perpetual...enses-are-back
Yes, I got the same message last night. It appears Waves has been forced to back pedal on this fiasco. I shared all this with my wife last night as she is a Prof of Communications at a nearby university and teaches a class in Public Relations. This will make an excellent case study for any PR class. How to eat crow when you've screwed up big time!

I wonder how long whoever at Waves came up with this brilliant scheme has worked there, not counting tomorrow!

Old 03-30-2023, 06:28 AM

Credit when credit is due. Although I am still not wupping without AAXDSP support, well done Waves. Maybe the damage done is under control now.