Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools

Old 03-13-2023, 04:17 PM

Default Picture & chapter markers on single wav file

I have a single WAV file that I need chapter markers put in... "audio book" style.
I also would like to have a picture appear on the playback device when someone plays it.

It seems strange Protools can't do this within' its software... am I missing something on that?

If Protools can't do it, then is there an add-on I can buy, or a completely different software for less than $50 or even freeware that can do it?
Old 03-13-2023, 04:25 PM

Default Re: Picture & chapter markers on single wav file

www.shutterencoder.com might be able to do it...maybe.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 03-26-2023, 06:46 AM

Thank you for the lead, unfortunately it is not possible through Shutter Encoder. ...per their customer support.

I'm still looking if anyone knows of a program that can add chapter markers & a graphic to a WAV file.
Old 03-26-2023, 09:56 AM

Wave files are audio only. Not sure how any program could add a graphic/picture to a Wave file. Chapter markers, AFAIK, would be in the Wave file's Metadata, if it's possible to do that.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 03-26-2023, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttocS View Post
I have a single WAV file that I need chapter markers put in... "audio book" style.
I also would like to have a picture appear on the playback device when someone plays it.

It seems strange Protools can't do this within' its software... am I missing something on that?

If Protools can't do it, then is there an add-on I can buy, or a completely different software for less than $50 or even freeware that can do it?
Have you ever seen a "single WAV file" that does this? Can you give an example of a "single WAV file player" that reports this information?

If you give an example of a specific downloaded "audio book" folder with WAV files PLUS .*** files in it, which shows you chapter markers and pictures when you use a specific app to playback the audio, that's some kind of additional format. Not just the WAV files. There might be tricky ways an audiobook program would recognize simple WAV files by filename format, and attach the pictures etc, but I don't think it's through the WAV itself.

Also, If a program IS attaching non-specified metadata to WAV, it might not work in every app. I recently saw an example on the forum of non-spec iXML metadata chunks causing WAVs not to import properly.
||software: Sonoma 14.2 | PT Studio 2023.12 | Ableton Live 11 | iZotope RX, Ozone, Neutron | Arturia Pigments | Auto-Tune | Dubler2 //
||system: iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020) 10-Core-i9 | 128GB-DDR4 | 5700-XT-16GB | OWC Thunderbolt Hub and Thunderbolt 3 Dock //
||devices: RME Babyface Pro FS | Focusrite Clarett 2Pre | some AT mics | SM58 | Ableton Push 2 | Sennheiser HD 600 HP // Onkyo TX-8220 SR
||automation: SoundFlow | Stream Deck+ | Keyboard Maestro | SteerMouse | MacOS Shortcuts //
Old 03-26-2023, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nednednerb View Post
Have you ever seen a "single WAV file" that does this? Can you give an example of a "single WAV file player" that reports this information?

If you give an example of a specific downloaded "audio book" folder with WAV files PLUS .*** files in it, which shows you chapter markers and pictures when you use a specific app to playback the audio, that's some kind of additional format. Not just the WAV files. There might be tricky ways an audiobook program would recognize simple WAV files by filename format, and attach the pictures etc, but I don't think it's through the WAV itself.

Also, If a program IS attaching non-specified metadata to WAV, it might not work in every app. I recently saw an example on the forum of non-spec iXML metadata chunks causing WAVs not to import properly.
Hmm... great question, I was surprised to find that none of my CD's actually show a graphic in itunes nor Windows media player. itunes shows the song names where WMP doesn't even read song names.

So the graphic seems to be out for a WAV file.

I still wonder if "Chapter Markers" are possible. My client doesn't want to break up a 3 hour audio into individual files, but he wants chapter markers. It's not even an audio book. It's a lecture, and I can imagine distributing it as a WAV file isn't the norm, so I don't know how to test it.

Any hope for Chapter Markers being able to be inserted into a WAV file?
Old 03-26-2023, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Hmm... great question, I was surprised to find that none of my CD's actually show a graphic in itunes nor Windows media player. itunes shows the song names where WMP doesn't even read song names.

So the graphic seems to be out for a WAV file.

I still wonder if "Chapter Markers" are possible. My client doesn't want to break up a 3 hour audio into individual files, but he wants chapter markers. It's not even an audio book. It's a lecture, and I can imagine distributing it as a WAV file isn't the norm, so I don't know how to test it.

Any hope for Chapter Markers being able to be inserted into a WAV file?
Wav files will not (do not) have xml metadata for chapter markers. They also don't embed pictures. In mp3 and mp4 there are metadata tags for holding things like pictures, lyrics, extended info. Not wave files. Broadcast wave (BWF) has a limited space for metadata info but not markers. And then you'd have to count on whatever was playing it could even read that info. iTunes and Windows Media Player get their info from online databases -- not the files themselves (though both will read mp3 tags.) And info you add yourself in either of them goes into sidecar files for Wav files. Those are only local to the system it was done. (Though for Windows Media Player, those sidecar files can be found if you show hidden files next to the audio file. iTunes stores that info one central database together for all files in contrast.)

Everything you are asking for is usually done in the delivery/playback system. Like YouTube (or Vimeo or Soundcloud or whatever) has chapter markers. You can use a CD maker (like Wavelab) to make a CD and put "chapter markers" which are actually just track markers. If you import a CD image with markers, it will split at those markers into individual tracks. The idea there was possible continuous play but also jumping to "chapters". Some players can read a CD image direct and keep that information (like foobar2000 or vlc). But all that information is stored in the container and not in the wav file.

You are your client are looking in the wrong place to do this. Figure out the distribution medium and you'll find the place for the solution.
Old 03-27-2023, 08:30 AM

Quote:
I also would like to have a picture appear on the playback device when someone plays it....
As Bscout has pointed out, there's no accepted/implemented standard in WAV for region/chapter definitions and picture (though Pro Tools and others offer regions that may or may not show up in other programs). If you post on DAW-Mac (an old fashioned news list) there's a handful of members who post regularly and who do audiobook work and they'll know the authoring software/workflow: https://groups.io/g/DAW-Mac

Also, gotta be some Facebook groups for this kind of authoring.

But if you're looking to just post this sort of thing in some more-or-less universally readable format, then posting it on a web page as separate MP3/AAC chunks is probably the best way to go. Alternately, post it on YouTube which does have infrastructure for "index/chapter" markers - that's about as close to a 'universal' format as you're gonna get.

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6
Old 03-27-2023, 01:45 PM

Thank you guys... This has been a fantastic learning experience. Your suggestions have sparked some interesting options & I appreciate it!!!
Old 03-27-2023, 02:38 PM

your requirements sound like you need to check out some of the tools offered by Wondershare Filmora
their extensive tutorial pages will give you a clue as to what it's capable of.
annual or perpetual license available. inexpensive.