Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools | Intro Discussion

Old 03-29-2023, 09:41 AM

Default Pro Tools First not loading session - "looking for versions on cloud"

I normally only work in my studio using PT Ultimate, but recently a client asked me to record some things on site, so I installed Pro Tools First on my laptop, took a small audio interface with mic inputs and some mics.

Of course I tested this setup beforehand. I did not want any surprises. I noticed that PT First needs an active internet connection to work and stores things in a cloud. I did not really like the sound of that, but I decided to go on with it anyway.

I went to the job, I used my phone's hotspot to supply the internet connection, everything went a ok, no issues.

Luckily I was smart enough to export all recorded material right there on the spot, because back in the studio the session won't load. On my laptop it just does nothing. I click the name of the session in the "open file" dialogue,
the dialogue disappears and then a whole lot of nothing. When I try to open the session in my studio in PT Ultimate it shows me the message "Looking for new versions on cloud..." but it stays there forever. Nothing actually loads.

How do I fix this? As I said, I do (thank God) have all the audio.... but I made markers in the session to be able to tell what is what... so I need those....

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 03-29-2023, 09:53 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools First not loading session - "looking for versions on cloud"

PT First is deprecated and replaced by PT Intro.

Nobody can help you unless you give specific information about your setup. Please read the Help Us Help You document linked to the forum header.
Old 03-29-2023, 11:16 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools First not loading session - "looking for versions on cloud"

Please take a look at the Cloud Changes post from Avid, which will describe the current state of Pro Tools First and how to access projects.

I believe you can download Pro Tools Intro, which will open the old PTF projects if stored locally.

System Details
Old 03-30-2023, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkgear View Post
Please take a look at the Cloud Changes post from Avid, which will describe the current state of Pro Tools First and how to access projects.

I believe you can download Pro Tools Intro, which will open the old PTF projects if stored locally.
Thanks.

If I read correctly what it says there, I should have no problem opening local sessions with PT First even though it's depreciated. It says:

The following activities are NOT AFFECTED by this change:

Ability to launch and use any existing installed versions of Pro Tools | First
Ability to access all previously saved local Projects
Ability to access all previously saved Cloud Projects (Read Only until saved locally)
Ability to create unlimited new local Projects (the limit of 3 total Projects was removed previously)

Also, it says on that page that I wont be able to upload new Projects to the Cloud. Which is odd, because the Project I created on my laptop, shows up in the Projects section of the Dashboard dialogue on my studio computer, and I never copied anything to there myself.

I will try your suggestion to attempt opening the file with Intro. The local files are present on my laptop still.
Old 03-30-2023, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkgear View Post

Ok, so I figured out why it would not load the session. PT First stores the session files in -Documents/Pro Tools/Project Cache/... A folder which on my laptop is an iCloud folder. MacOS decided to store those files in iCloud to save disk space on my laptop. Therefore, the files could not be accessed by PT First and the session would not load.

So, now it did actually load... But, it's completely empty. No recordings, no markers. Only tracks.

Unfortunately PT Intro does not load the project.

Last edited by PS_vrsm; 03-30-2023 at 04:42 AM.