Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 03-27-2023, 08:46 PM

Default AAE -9173 CPU Power Error - Reborn

I have been reading posts & sites about this issue but I'm still hoping for new info:

I have a session I've been working on & it's been fine. I left it for a day & returned to the msg:

Pro Tools ran out of CPU power. Try de-activating or removing Native plug-ins (AAE -9173)

I'm running Win10 PT v 2019.10.0

I tried to open the session w/o plug-ins (Holding down SHIFT key) & when I active one plug in, like Dyna Comp, I get the msg. I can open a lower capacity session, it will work, close it & open the problem session & get the msg, then go back to the lower session & get the err msg. After that, all sessions display the err msg.

I've went thru the troubleshooting editing as applicable & messed w/my I/O & buffer sizes, disk allocation, etc, but same msg.

The only thing I can think I've done:

Opened Plug-In Manager apps

I opened IK Manager
I got a msg about Revalver going with Head Space & opened it

Are these apps in the background messing w/my sessions?

btw: I am watching my CPU & it is constantly running <10% with Memory around 50%

ALSO

When Pro Tools is open & this occurs, it affects audio on other apps!
I tried to play a YouTube video & it was distorted
One of my online guitar students Skyped me & it was also distorted
I closed PT & it sounded fine

I have a PreSonus Studio Live III Digital Board

Currently PT & the board are 1024 block size & Buffer Size, I've messed w/this to try to fix it

I seriously can't find what's causing this

I have tried sessions with minimal plugins & even created a new session called BLANK SESSION w/no tracks & no plugins....BLANK, & pressed play & got same msg

(restarted many times)

I'm asking for any recent issues anyone's had like this or insight?
I haven't been able to find any solution in the info I've seen

I am now copying my session to take to my Home computer to try there

If anyone has any insight I would really appreciate it - the session I'm working is not my own!
Old 03-29-2023, 05:38 PM

Default Re: AAE -9173 CPU Power Error - Reborn

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrDayve View Post
...I've went thru the troubleshooting editing as applicable ...
1. Slowly and methodically do EVERY optimization step here:https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...ndows-10-Guide
2. Slowly and methodically do EVERY troubleshooting step here:https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...ndows-10-Guide

Even if you "think you probably did them all / some don't apply to me" etc --- until the problem is resolved --- check every step again! Then, report back.

(AVID: please update the Avid Knowledge Base to include:
Windows 11 Optimizations and Troubleshooting)
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume
Old 03-29-2023, 06:22 PM

And to add to the good advice above.

Low % CPU use and still getting CPU errors is very common, not an interesting observation, it does help support the idea you have a plugin related problem.

Memory % means next to nothing. Not relevant here.

I trust removing .aaxplugin files from the plugin folder as a better test much more than holding down shift while opening a session. Again follow the actual steps in the troubleshooting guide.

I still would be suspicious of a corrupted session, do you have a previous backup of the session try that. Maybe you have a plugin that is helping corrupt a session. If you have one session that always causes this problem try a save copy in, of that session. If that does not improve things, try importing into a new session, or try importing just the audio data into a new session, if its a small session, that alone might let you manually reconstruct stuff.

If it's currently checked... uncheck "ignore errors" while you troubleshoot... that should really be off anyhow.

What sample rate are you running at?

Is the driver the the Studio Live III interface up to date? Is Pro Tools the only app using that interface? Don't assume... check or shut down all other apps and especially make sure Windows sound is not using it. Pro Tools problems affecting other audio makes it sound like you are doing this, which is really a bad idea on Windows (Windows multi-client ASIO driver support is a crap-shoot, if it works at all it may not be reliable).

And if totally stick, it's still a good idea to post a SiSoft Sandra report. You never know what weirdness somebody here might spot.
Old 03-29-2023, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
... I still would be suspicious of a corrupted session ...
Yes! Except I think he said he's getting the same bug on a new blank session ...
Click for resume
Old 03-29-2023, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EGS View Post
Yes! Except I think he said he's getting the same bug on a new blank session ...
I'm trying to help him see if he can get that session working or not.

Sounded like at times other sessions work OK, others not ... which is why I raised the possibility that there is a plugin that is corrupting stuff.

As we are saying... start with removing plugins and testing. **Always suspect plugins**.
Old 04-03-2023, 07:51 PM

Thanks All. (wasn't able to check back in b/c I been working the session)

Yes: it is/was a weird situation where one session I would open would ruin every session after it:

So I would open a session fine. One would have millions of plugins & tracks & run fine. I'd go to the "bad session" & it would bomb w/the CPU msg. Then everything I open after that produced the same msg/error.

I closed reopened PT & made a blank session w/o problem. Closed it, opened bad session = bomb. Reopened blank session = bomb.

WHAT I DID

I opened my bad session w/all plugins disabled. Turned each on one at at time until I got to the master bus which had SPAN. Turned on Span & it bombed.

Started over w/all disabled. Turned on Span first & it bombed.

Started over w/all disabled. Turned on all but Span. Removed Span from the session. Added it back in. No problem since.

I don't blame Span; I think the point about a corrupted session is valid. Somehow, someway, Span got corrupted in my session. (I wanted to blame Waves going subscription based, happened around same time ;-) )
Removing & readding Span fixed it.

I also took this session home & tried it on my home PT machine & it worked fine (I don't have Span on my home machine) (same iLok fwiw).

I have Span on many other sessions w/much more activity than this session, so I don't get it. It's just weird.
Old 04-04-2023, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrDayve View Post
... Somehow, someway, Span got corrupted in my session... Removing & readding Span fixed it...
Great job tracking down the issue to a single plug. Now, I'd do one more thing: uninstall the plug from the computer, run CCleaner reg-clean, & re-install plug.
Click for resume
Old 04-06-2023, 06:13 PM

ty that's good advice
Old 08-24-2023, 07:45 AM

When I get -9173 on my rosetta2 PT sessions, I go to the Setup page and change the cache to a different number and it works. The number itself does not seem to matter. But recycling the cache seems relevant.

In my opinion is related with the memory management.

M
Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.6.0 - Monterey
MacBook M1Pro 10-16GB
Dangerous Music Summing - Focusrite Dante Rednet2 - Amek/Neve, Focusrite, TC Electronics, Mytek DA, Apogee ADDA