Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 05-21-2002, 02:29 PM

Default error -37/save copy/digi please fix this

we've been doing post on a fairly large new tv show and have recently had problems with disk errors (-37) while attempting to do a save session copy as......
after a great deal of work -- including following digi's advice of shortening file names (around 100 of them) we seem to have figured out that the save session copy works fine -- as long as all the files that the session needs are located on the same drive to begin with.

anybody else having similar problems?????

please correct me if i'm wrong, but, isn't that the whole point of the "save session copy as" function -- to pull all files together into one place -- ????? what a royal pain in the ass!!!! and extremely &^#$cking time consuming. but not as time consuming as trying to figure out what's wrong with a "save session copy as" -- as each failed effort to save session copy as takes between 10 and 30 minutes, on a tv show......

i should add perhaps that all of these files import and play back fine, it's just during the "save session copy as" that the files can't hack it.

digi -- please fix this little problem -- when we want pro tools we nood "pro" "tools"!!

or at the very least, may i suggest implementing either a "log" function, so that we know which files are not working in the save session copy, or allow the copy to partially copy, so we can figure out roughly where the problem is.

you can't believe how frustratiing it is to just reach your hand into a darkroom, move it, and wait for half an hour to see whether a light switch comes on, before you can try another spot.....if a may stretch a metaphot a little......

this problem has been occurring for us on our two seperate MIX systems, each operating using mac 9.2.2 on g4 933 and 867. drives are all digi approved, disk warrior proofed, and dedicated strictly to audio.

digi, please answer this post.
Old 05-22-2002, 07:06 AM

Default Re: error -37/save copy/digi please fix this

Oh Man...I feel your pain. I've been there. I don't even bother trying to do this anymore. the odds are bad. I wish digi would address this too.
Here's my workaround:
Create a new session on the drive you want to consolidate too.
Import all tracks for the session you want to consolidate, asking PT to "copy from source media". Then set the destination folder and you should be good.

The oone (big) problem with this technique is that you lose all your memory locations/markers. I wish these could be imported as well. DIGI?!?

Also, make sure your i/o setup is the same, including buss labels and stuff, for a smooth transfer.

good luck.

but DIGI, we shouldn't have to mess with this. Please fix it already.

www.tompaul.com
Old 05-23-2002, 11:11 AM

I thought I was the only one!! Good to hear I'm not totally messed up.
I work on a TV show and I'm constantly copying sounds from other episodes. When it comes time to do my save copy in, I get error -37.
I've tried opening a new session and importing the tracks, but even then I get the same error. It's terrible.
Digi needs to fix this asap. It's killing us. [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img]
Old 05-29-2002, 11:34 AM

digi, all of us having this problem are professional, high-end users. i would think it would be in your interest to post some response.
i have always been a huge protools supporter. at the moment you have control of the post world, but the nature of capitalism is that alternatives will arrive. when they do, it will be to your benefit if you haven't thoroughly alienated the people that pay your salaries......
again, i would truly appreciate some response on this matter.
Old 05-30-2002, 09:39 PM

digi tech support,
i know you're out there, because i see you pasting answers to other people's problems.
if you would kindly address my question, even with a simple, "i have no idea how to help you", or, preferably, "we're looking into it", it would make me feel so much better.

at this point, my biggest question is, would there possibly be a reason why all files for a given session would need to be in a single folder for the save session copy as feature to work?
because that is what appears to be true, although i have a hard time believing it.

p.s., just in case anybody's actually reading these things, tonight i got a new error message, it's very exciting.
"an assertion occurred in ff_audioproperty.cpp, line 33"
Old 05-31-2002, 05:52 AM

Yeah, this one's bitten me a couple of times too. It isn't that my audio is spread around on multiple drives. Rather it is because on large projects I often have copies of the same files in different directories (sound effects edited by different editors on the same job). So while the filenames are exactly the same they are in different places and therefore no problem. Until you save a copy as. Something goes wrong with Pro Tools ability to resolve identical name issues. This only happens with large projects. I've never been able to duplicate it with small test cases.

To verify this, I recently spent about 4 hours resolving filenames by hand. Drive A had a bunch of files in "Audio Files". Drive B had a bunch of files in "Audio Files" and a bunch more in "new Audio Files". There were duplicate filenames between these two directories on Drive B. I first renamed all filenames to new names by hand. This alone was not enough to fix the problem. So I them combined all files from "new Audio Files" into "Audio Files". From then on I've been able to save a copy as.

It is an aggravating, wallet-affecting, spirit-killing problem.
Old 05-31-2002, 09:33 AM

richard,
thanks a lot for the insight.
that is really good information, which makes perfect sense.
i've been importing tracks from multiple sessions, which could certainly result in duplication.

basically, i'm resigning myself to the fact that pt can't "save session copy as" consistently for files that are not located in a single root audio files directory.

which is outrageous!!!

digi, this is like asking an accountant to keep all records from all clients from any given year in a single folder....i guess you just pray to god that you never want to trace where you grabbed a particular file from.....and that you never want to collaborate on a scene with someone, or, god forbid, be in the position to hire someone to do work for you.

since i haven't heard a word from you digi guys on this -- in ten days -- i'm getting the feeling that i won't.

maybe digi isn't interested in dealing with people who work for a living any more -- at this point it's all about the "mbox".
Old 06-01-2002, 02:57 PM

good suggestion, postman.

my trouble has been that there is never any way to determine with certainty what files are causing the problem (as i said above), because pt does not save a log or record of the error that it encountered (created).

but what has created the problem for me is:
1. import tracks from several sessions.
2. import audio from several folders.
save and close session
3. open a new session.
4. import tracks from the other session (which has both tracks from previous sessions and newer files.
5. import files from various places.
6. attempt to save copy as

that should produce similar results, though it might require a bit of work.

in order to be sure, i would reccomemend that digi create very large sessions, of say an hour in length, with perhaps 64 tracks and somewhere around a thousand small files for each session.

it would be important to spend time processing these files using audiosuite plug-ins, as the appended names that this process gives the files may be part of the problem -- though this is difficult to verify. at times it seems as though the 29 character limit seems to have no relevance to this particular problem.

the resulting large sessiond are, unfortunately, extremely time-consuming to troubleshoot, as the save session copy command takes around half an hour to perform on large sessions.

but then, as richard says, problems don't seem to pop up with small test sessions, so obviously this is a problem that requires actual work to create.

and, of course, it wouldn't be particularly easy to share the sessions which i have that definitely have problems, as they are very large;
save copy as (in cconjunction with removing unused files) is the very feature which is necessary to be able to conveniently transport these files to, say, a mixing stage.
Old 06-01-2002, 03:08 PM

ps
thanks everyone for sharing your stories and aggravations.

i would appreciate continued insight.....i suspect that we'll be on our own in figuring this problem out for digi.

it soudns like at least a few of us are working on tv shows...which means that we'll be continuing to confront this beast for a while at least. perhaps we can all post up what is working and what isn't.

One big obvious step for me was to begin by testing my session before i get to work on it -- i.e. if i have 3 episodes at the end of the session and want to import a fourth, i try a save session copy as after i have imported the fourth and before i get to work making the new episode. i then use the new clean copy, and am extremely careful about the files that i import -- instead of using "add" uder audio import, i always use copy.

so far, saving them to a new folder hasn't ben a problem for me, richard.

my biggest complaint, really, is that i end up bveing too afraid of importing tracks from old shows (other than the four that are sort of "pre-approved"), i've just been redoing the work instead, so that the file paths remain uncomplicated.

on my last 3 episodes, i've had problems with only one, which resolved fairly quickly -- and mysteriously. i feel compelled to say again -- digi -- that the most frustrating thing about this mess is not knowing with certainty what the problem is.
Old 06-02-2002, 12:10 AM

A repeatable sequence of steps that always creates the problem, so that a digi developer can follow the steps and see the problem firsthand, would be a useful.