Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S4/S6

Old 10-22-2013, 09:20 AM
Avid

Default Re: Snapshots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent_Sydney View Post
Layouts and its equivalency to custom faders is questionable.

Custom faders was a term used to describe several features on an ICON:
- Sort by track type (ie pull up VCAs or masters quickly)
- Sort by group membership - all members of the Dx group in the sweet spot quickly, no layout needed, it just read the PT session to find those and put them where you wanted them)
- VCA spill - workflow that toggles between those two states above
- Custom fader groups - similar to layouts but could be made from the console without mousing and could be recalled from DControl with a single button press
- Custom plugin maps to open plugins on faders with your choice of parameters in your layout when you focused on that plugin - fundamental for everything that doesn't map to the EQ/Dyn section, such as verbs/denoising etc
- Custom Fader group mapping - the most advanced feature, allowing you to put anything (plugin parameters, sends, pan pots) into any arrangement that could be recalled from the console at the press of a button, although a bit klugey to get into that state.

So far all the S6 chats Ive seen have only mentioned VCA spill workflow as coming soon and custom fader groups being like layouts. There's been little to no talk of all these other ICON specific features and how soon they will (if ever) make the transition to EUCON surfaces. Or how layouts can be edited or created from the surface, if it will be less button presses than making a custom group on an ICON, which would be the expectation from the mixers who drive "the worlds most successful large format console"

I've posed this question several times and its just been crickets and tumbleweeds in response from Avid. Hopefully they can step up their communication to ICON mixers at some point soon to set our expectations.

So far an S6 is looking like a step sideways to me, not a step forwards - that said, I haven't had an in flesh the demo and look forwards to the local teaming getting that happening before Xmas.
Custom Faders is on the roadmap to be added to S6. It is an important workflow that will be added, but we can't announce a timeframe as a public company for Sarbanes/Oxley reasons.

All that said, I'd point out a few side notes:
1. Many of the pro customers who are indie's and travel from facility to facility don't have or take the time to build and deal with Custom Faders. They typically rely on CF VCA's to navigate large sessions. (That's why I mentioned the VCA Spill workflow earlier and it's on the map).
2. The new Matrix mode allows for fast and easy navigation - you really have to sit and see it in person. Many people have reacted with great surprise at it. Danny Caccavo from Skywalker said this weekend at AES that he was "really impressed and positively surprised". I will be posting some of those interviews soon.
3. The track color coding below the faders and on the meter bridge really also help with navigation and setting up/managing big sessions.
4. Many ICON customers have reacted incredibly positively to S6 when they see it and get the demo - again, I will be posting their reactions soon.
5. We've also said that we want to support an 'exploded plug-in' view on the knob modules - that essentially will borrow the entire knob module to get to 32 color-coded parameters of a plug-in. (Again, on the roadmap).
6. As a point of reference, when ICON came out - it too was missing some user requested functionality and was developed over time, (roughly one release a year). We are prioritizing features and will have a team of engineers working towards multiple releases in the coming year.

Thanks,
Tom

[email protected]

Check out our Pro Mixing Webinars :
http://www.avid.com/US/resources/pro-mixing-webinars

Avid Pro Mixing Blog:
http://www.avidblogs.com/promixing/
Old 10-22-2013, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonx1 View Post
Layouts are extremely powerful. On the artist, I have layouts ans track show hide on a macro. So fast
With ICON, I could have custom faders show up on the console even if they're hidden in the session. I'm not able to do this with EuCon. Are you doing something differently than I am?

•2019 Mac Pro 3.5 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon W - 48 GB 2666 MHz DDR4 (OS 10.15.5) •HD Native PCIe, HD Omni, 192 I/o, Pro Tools Ultimate •Avid S3 + Dock •Blackmagic Intensity Pro (HDMI) •5.1 Room with JBL LSR4300 series

Additional Systems

•2010 Mac Pro 2 x 2.66 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon - 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 (OS 10.14.6) •HD Native PCIe, 192 I/o, 96 I/o, Pro Tools Ultimate •McMix (x4), McControl (x1), JLCooper Surround panner for D-Command ES, Avid Control •Blackmagic Intensity Pro (HDMI) •7.1.4 Room with JBL LSR4300 series

•2017 MacBook Pro 2.8 GHz i7 - 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 (OS 10.14.6) •HD Native TB, HD Omni, Pro Tools Ultimate •McMix (x1), McControl (x1), Avid Control * or * D-Command ES Main Unit •Fed into whichever system is the main system
Old 10-22-2013, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Graham View Post
Custom Faders is on the roadmap to be added to S6.
Great! I'm glad I was wrong!
Old 10-22-2013, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Young View Post
With ICON, I could have custom faders show up on the console even if they're hidden in the session. I'm not able to do this with EuCon. Are you doing something differently than I am?
No. What I do is have a layout set up for day dialogue and a track show hide marker for all my dialogue tracks. So when I hit the dx button, all my dx tracks show up and populate the controller exactly as I want them to. That's how I organize sessions. Really is super fast once it's set up.
Custom Build CPU, HDX 1, Omni, 192 I/O Digital
S6 M10 24 fader
Satellite Mac Pro, HDNative, 192 I/0
Black Magic HD Extreme
Old 10-23-2013, 03:00 AM

Thanks for the response Tom.
Glad to hear VCA spill workflows are on the roadmap.

As you say, many freelance mixers don't have the training or time or inclination to use the ICON custom fader functions to their fullest potential, however I'm pretty sure most of them would use custom fader plugin view to operate denoising plugins like W43, WNS, Cedar or the new Izotope DxDenoiser? We do over here.

Are you saying that on the S6 those sorts of plugin parameters are likely to only be available on pots for the foreseeable future?

Surely we aren't going to lose the ability to access plugin parameters from faders when mixing ITB?

And how easy/quick is it to store/make/recall layouts from the surface?
Old 10-23-2013, 03:11 PM

Hi Brent,

Hope you're well!
Just to follow on from Toms comments, S6 will take many of the features from S-5 and Icon and make improvements where possible, leveraging the hardware interface improvements such as hi-res OLED encoder displays, central touchscreen, channel display modules etc.

I can't directly discuss our plans or timing for unreleased features but will say we are well aware of the Icon functionality you list and have plans for implementing similar features on S6 but with improvements.

I'm not sure if you've seen how layouts are created on the surface of an S-5 but it is very fast like building CF Groups on Icon. Each layout allows you to mix and match tracks from any connected workstations, and assign them to any part of the surface (not just tracks from one DAW assigned only to the CF zone). So I could have a layout that brings VCA masters from multiple DAWs to the right side of my console while another layout brings the source tracks from a pre-dub to another part of the desk. Music guys could build layouts that include Logic tracks and PT tracks assigned to selected channels on the surface. And S6 will allow you to create them much more quickly from the tracks matrix page on the touchscreen.

Hang in there - we have some great stuff in store for this console, we just couldn't get it all coded for the initial software release which we are currently demoing.
Old 01-21-2014, 04:05 PM

I don't know how I missed it, but even Artist Control has memory of 48 snapshots. So S6 will most definetly have it.
Mac Mini i7 2018,
Reaper DAW,
Presonus Faderport,
Arturia Beastep for DAW control,
Former Pro Tools HD user (from V7 until V12.6).
Old 01-25-2014, 07:53 AM

I got hands on an S6 yesterday .
Nice. . But, lot's of my questions met with "that's coming in the next update" .

Sad to see that, like my little Artist Mix at home, the mix window in PT STILL doesn't follow the banking on the surface .

Hhhmm…
~ 2019 Rack Mac Pro 3.2 GHz 16 core 384 GB RAM Catalina 10.15.7 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2022.12.0 / HDX 2 + UAD2 PCIe OCTO+QUAD / HD I/O's x 4 + 1 x 96io / Digidesign Pre's x 3 / Avid S6 M10-24 -V22.12.1.34 ~
~ Mac Pro 8 core - clover - 13 GB ram - 10.6.8 / HD5 / Pro Tools 9.0.6 / Magma PE6R4 ~ ARCHIVE RIG

~ Mac Pro (Early 2009) - 2 x 2.26 GHz Quad-Core-32 GB RAM-10.13.6 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2019.10 / Apollo 16 / Avid S3 ~