Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-02-2006, 11:54 PM

Default automation is too dense?

I am printing a couple of tracks with virtually no automation. It's a 100 minute movie. Protools 6.4.1 keep giving me a warning message that "automation is too dense -- try thinning automation". The faders are doing nothing. Why is protools complaining about automation that isn't there?

sincerely in sync

c-post
Old 07-03-2006, 02:56 AM

Default Re: automation is too dense?

not a very helpfull answer but i had the same thing a couple of monthes ago..
the only thing i found was to reinstall pro-tools to make it works...
Old 07-03-2006, 03:12 AM

We had this happen a few times.

This is what we did to get it work:
We created more space on the harddisk the session was saved on. Changed our Pro Tools Buffer settings and CPU. And put the video files onto another harddisk - not the one your session is on.

Hope it helps.

Tim
Old 07-03-2006, 09:45 AM

I recently installed protools 6 for the first time. I am also just now having a problem with an old session,

"DAE ran out of time while sending audio over the PCI bus. Try reducing the number of tracks, or using a playback engine with fewer voices per DSP (-6042)"

again, the session is not busy at all, 2-4 tracks at most, plus quicktime video. I have a feeling this is a settling-in adjustment, as you say, probably a buffer setting or something.

While I greatly appreciate Protools' consistency in the location of controls from PT 5 to PT 6, I am disappointed in apple's OSX in that multiple applications are no longer accessible (HIDE/SHOW) from the upper right corner of the bar. They renamed Controls Panels to System Preferences. Also, where do I now adjust the DAE buffer settings? It's little changes like this that drive me CRAZY.

sincerely in sync

c-post
Old 07-03-2006, 04:14 PM

Quote:
[…] I am disappointed in apple's OSX in that multiple applications are no longer accessible (HIDE/SHOW) from the upper right corner of the bar.
Command-Tab: Brings up “Jumbo-Tronic” version of the Open Apps list.

Command-Tab (Once): Switch between last two invoked Apps (only).

Keep Command pressed, App Menu remains on screen. Use Tab to move from app to app. Shift-Tab reverses direction.

With the App Menu on the screen, now you can also…
Command-H: Hide front-most application (but not ProTools).
Command-Q: Quit front-most application.

Execute as many of the above as you need/want without having to exit until you’re done.
Kinda beats beats OS9, no?

IHTH.

We’ll fix it in the shrink-wrap. (Frank Zappa)

Old 07-03-2006, 05:47 PM

Actually what I found is if you apple+tab out of Pro Tools into say, the finder, but don't let go of apple, then tab back so Pro Tools is selected, just hit H while apple is still held down and it will hide Pro Tools. (Hold apple Tab, tab, H). But it's actually faster to option click on anything besides Pro Tools to hide Pro Tools.
Old 07-03-2006, 07:07 PM

Considering you are just moving up to OSX and PT6 -- there will be a learning curve... and although some things are "different" -- you will find OSX to be a very elegant OS with tons of under the hood power, if you should care to go there. Or you don't have to...

I've been using OSX on my business machines since April 2001 - and exclusively for all work for about 3 years (PT6 was released in spring 2003 - that's when I gave up OS9 for good)

OSX is a mature OS with plenty of workarounds and tweaks -- in some ways, way more than OS9 ever had...

Some will say X is not as fast as 9 -- but that's simply not true... yes, there is a level of overhead built in, but the machines are so ****** fast now, so what? The fact that OSX can run on a 9 year old G3 is credit to the designers... but it won't run well...

When you have 5 minutes, read www.macosxhints.com - los of fun info and cool tricks.

Have fun!