Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2003, 08:19 PM

Default How does LE compares to Nuendo or Cubase?

Hi, I've been using steinberg products for about a year now. I really like the Digi002, I just wonder whether how does LE compares to Nuendo in terms of plugin qualities, reliability, software synth/sampler functions, etc. Thanks in advance for your comments.
Old 09-06-2003, 04:34 PM

Default Re: How does LE compares to Nuendo or Cubase?

I used SX for a year. Prior, I was on Logic 4 - I found logic very pro and worked the way I liked. When Logic went Mac, I went SX. I never got SX feeling right. Too much confusion - ie parts, regions, files, events, clips etc and when making multiple takes, I never knew where I was going and which take was a file or a region . Also, the mixer annoyed me since I couldnt see inserts and sends at the same time. I had to open a rack to see returns. The audio editor and sample editor - I never knew which was which. I couldnt drag across a region to create a loop - I had to drag itty bitty handles. Markers were a pain, I also had too many problems - audio breakup, freezes, constant rebooting the audio engine to get sound out of both speakers .... Don't get me wrong, as a music creation tool, it is the probably the best - its VSTi is second to none. BUT, as a recording machine, it got in the way of me and my music. Now comes Pro Tools - thru an 002R, I am getting a quality of sound identical to the original performance - all the nuances are captured. I can't believe the clarity. The software is exactly what I like - easy routing - in fact I ditched my Mackie mixer and use the Pro Tools Mixer exclusively. I always know where I am, which region I am listening to - the regions list on the right side is invaluable - check out playlists - you get to keep the original region intact and fuddle with a copy. The 6.1 interface is great. The selector lets me drag and create loop points for playback and editing without any effort. I can drag to highlight and then cut and paste. It is so easy and quick to use that anytime I have a musical idea, I launch Pro Tools , arm a track and record - audio or midi. I didn't do that with Cubase.
BTW - I purchased a new computer - a Dell 3.06 - the Cubase dongle wouldnt load. It works on my old computer but not my new one. Tech said to reformat- still didn't work, Tech said to re format - I said no so they hung up on me. Digi tech support is all pro. Now, with all the RTAS interfaces coming out in the Native Instruments line, Reason, Sampletank and many more, I believe as a music creation tool, it will also surpass SX.
Let the flame begin....
-HD I/O 8x8x8. -HD Omni -Avid S3

-API 2500 -API 5500 -UA 2-1176 -UA 2-610
-Neve 1073, Chandler LTD-1 -Eventide H8000FW -Lexicon PCM96
-Bricasti M7. -Joe Meek channel.

-Waves Mercury, Flux all, Softube All, Plugin Alliance all, McDSP all, Sonnox All, MH production, Wave Arts,a bunch more
-Moog Voyager XL, Nord Piano, Hartmann Neuron, ARP Axxe, Gibson Les Paul, Mesa Boogie Roadster, Kemper, Taylor T5 and T5-12
Old 09-06-2003, 07:02 PM

This is not a flame!!! I've been a SX user for quite some time now and was more than satisfied with what I could do with the app, but I decided that since PT was the tool of choice that I'd better get it so several months after 002 came out I went for it. From day one the DAE would spike my cpu and I was using all Digi recommended hardware and settings per the manual and from tech support who advised that I had more than enough resources to run the app, but It would come together for me. I had more than enough ram and cpu but couldn't record more than 6 tracks at 24bit/96Khz with several effects.

With SX I can easily get 20 stereo or more tracks with effects and the quality of my Steinberg rig sounded brighter and the imaging was a lot better. I record through the Aardvark Q10.

Needless to say I didn't keep the Digi002 especially now since SX 2.0 will be shipping shortly and from all the info I've seen it going to be a big step up in regards to ease of operation and routing.

You also have the option to download demo of Cubase SX.

Just my thoughts,

The Sleeper

Oh no, not the sprinklers again.
Old 09-06-2003, 10:34 PM

Hi Fatbelly-
What sound hardware are you using?
Old 09-06-2003, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Hi Fatbelly-
What sound hardware are you using?
he did mention he's using the Aardvark Q10...
Old 09-06-2003, 10:46 PM

But for some reason the guy above is still in the DUC forum. Something must be working, no?

I could type a really long explanation about why I like Pro Tools, but simply said, my studio consists of a Digi001, Reason/Recycle/Rebirth, several Akai sample CDs (all converted to Reason format via Reload), a pair of Mackie HR824 monitors, headphones, and a midi controller. I love my setup and wouldn't go back to Cubase SX for anything!

Cubase has always had some advantages over everything else, but it's also one of those apps that most people can't stop yelling at! It's like a 50/50 shot as to whether it's gonna work the way you need it to, or are the [tons] bugs going to stop you. If the bugs get in the way, look out, because it's no secret that Steinberg has horrible customer service, is very slooppy, and makes life painful for customers. Not to mention, Nuendo 1.0 thru 1.6 was probably the best product and effort Steinberg ever made to consumers. Afterwards, Cubase SX 1.0 comes out, they delay the release of Nuendo for an extra year (and piss off a bunch of people), SX 1.0 has tons of bugs, so they scramble to fix it, finally they release Nuendo 2.0 and make all those people [somewhat] happy until those Nuendo 2.0 customers find out Cubase SX 2.0 is coming and will have features that Nuendo 2.0 will not have. Now, I realize they are two seperate products, but Steinberg charges $1299 for Nuendo and they advertise it as their flagship product. One of the great hypes of N2.0 was all the wonderful midi features of SX will be in there.

Talk about bad business practice!

Anyway, yeah, Pro Tools, love it!

Regards,
Mark
Old 09-07-2003, 06:20 AM

If you notice I didn't say PT was garbage. PT is an excellent program that has a great deal of options that I really didn't want to let go of, but I couldn't get it to work with my system.

Now I have to admit that my sound with current setup does sound better, which has more to do with the clocking of my Aardvark Direct Pro Q10.

The reason why I'm still in this forum is because I'm going to purchase the 002R because I want and need to be able to offer the option to my clients.

I never meant my comments to be a flame, the guy asked a question and I offered my point of view because I've used both apps. I did keep the 002 for several weeks so I became very familiar with the app in terms of ease of use/recording/routing/mixing/effects etc.

PT is a great program and I'm looking forward to getting it up and running successfully. I wish that it 002R had word clock inputs so that I could clock it to my Aardvark, PT functionality and Aardvark qualities.

No need to be defensive, I'm not peeking in starting flames I love PT, as well as SX which is about to get even better.

Fatbelly Slim

Oh no, not the sprinklers again.
Old 09-07-2003, 06:49 AM

If the aardvark has spdif outs, you could use those to clock the digi002 to that box...

Bastiaan
Old 09-07-2003, 01:43 PM

FatBelly,

The spike you were getting in your CPU may be the infamous denormalization problem, which is not a fault of the CPU, but a fault of the plug-in code. D-Verb is the culprit many people have had a problem with.

Thread here:

http://duc.digidesign.com/showflat.p...=&fpart=1&vc=1

There is a link in that thread to an excellent explanation of the denormalization problem from digitalfishphones.

Cheers,
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction