Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 03-20-2002, 04:09 PM

Default Woops: I mean IMPORTING AUDIO From LOGIC!"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I've started -like many, i suppose- to use logic for midi and PT for audio. I record the midi in Logic as .wav to open in PT.
But i'm having a HORRIBLE time trying to align the audio into the grid. i don't get it. i must have to reconfigure some settings somewhere. each program reads in different bar/beat scales: Logic = 1 1 1 1 at beginning and PT = 1 1 000. are they different time scales?

worse: say bar 2, beat 1 in Logic. SMPTE reads 01 secs .286. i get quite a different reading in the PT SMPTE. why? even the samples are different?

HOW IS IT THAT YOU GUYS IMPORT AUDIO FROM LOGIC TO PT IN A FAST, ACCURATE MANNER?
Old 03-21-2002, 08:49 AM

Default Re: Woops: I mean IMPORTING AUDIO From LOGIC!"

Firstly, I'd question why you burn to .wav in Logic in the first place. Why not export your midi file from Logic once you're happy with the arrangement, then run the midi from PT?

OK, so you're using Plug-in instruments, then you're stuck with creating audio files to import. So, as long as you've set the TEMPO in PT to the same value as in Logic, any files created in Logic and placed at the same bar in PT will be accurate enough.

1/ Create your bounced audio file in Logic in the normal way, making sure that it begins at an exact bar start.
2/ Save it as "blah blah BarX" where X = the bar number. This will make it easy to import lots of audio files. There is no need to create huge files if a midi part only plays 8 bars three times in the song for example.
3/ Import into PT, making sure that a/ The tempo is the same. b/ The sample rate is the same. and maybe c/ The frame rate is the same (not sure about this but it certainly couldn't hurt).

I have ported over many many songs from Cubase VST to both Logic and PT in this way, and never had a problem.

Hope this helps

Simon
Old 03-21-2002, 08:52 AM

Default Re: Woops: I mean IMPORTING AUDIO From LOGIC!"

Hi,
If I'm reading you right, you want to finish the project in Logic. Assuming I've got this right, then record a few 'clicks' at the beginnign of the audio track (you can do this when bouncing the audio out of Pro Tools, and then use these click for alignment in Logic.

Cheers,
Mark