Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > FireWire & USB Audio Interfaces (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2015, 02:42 AM

Default No audio playback from my mbox mini

Hi everyone I'm using an mbox mini into a macbook pro. i have 2 problems but i think they may be linked. I use both Garageband and Protools LE. In GB i am able to record but there is no playback. If i try to open protools LE it say there are "Required software extensions missing" and gives a link to a page that no longer exists??? I had updated to the latest version of GB but everything was working for a few days then for no apparent reason the above happened. Hope someone out there can point me in the right direction
Old 09-21-2015, 01:31 AM

Default Re: No audio playback from my mbox mini

I have un/re installed both the mbox mini....tried to reinstall Pro tools and know its telling me it needs an earlier version of OS. i.e. v10.5.5. i am currently using v10.10.4. It goes from bad to worse would love some help?
Old 09-25-2015, 11:26 AM

Please, tell us the exact data of all your stuff!
Which exact model of MacBook Pro (year, processor, model ID, Ram)?
Which model of MBox, series 2 or 3?
And which exact version of Pro Tools LE, 7 or 8 (the exact sub version, for example, 8.0.1, 8.0.3 or 8.0.5)?

Only if you give us the exact info we will be able to help you seriously!

At first view it seems that it´s all messed up a bit now. Neither the MBox 2 nor the MBox 3 will run on OSX
Yosemite 10.10.4 and much less will PTLE work with OSX Yosemite anymore unfortunately.

The last Mac OSX the latest version of Pro Tools LE (LE 8.0.5) was compatible with, was Snow Leopard OSX
10.6.8! LE definitely was not made to work with any later Mac OS.

So I think you need to "clean up" things a bit and find the fitting parts and fitting system for all your stuff.
If you want to keep your MBox and Pro Tools LE you will have to roll back your Mac OSX for sure.
On the other hand this could cause problems with Garageband as this one probably needs a more recent OS?

Check it out there.
MBox Mini 2
http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...ers&popup=true
(latest OSX supported is Mavericks 10.9.4, Yosemite 10.10.x not supported)
MBox Mini 3
http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/d...x-Mini-Drivers
(latest version of OSX supported is Yosemite 10.10.3, 10.10.4 is not supported anymore)
Pro Tools LE8
http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...oad%2Fen393667
(you may scroll down a bit to "Pro Tools LE for Mac OS X Compatibility & Upgrade Information" and see that
Snow Leopard 10.6.8 was the last ever supported OSX for PTLE)

If you want to keep the more recent stuff, you could upgrade your Pro Tools and get a new, more recent
audio interface for example. Both will then work with Mac OSX Yosemite 10.10.4/5, so will do Garageband.

The best of success to you.
Old 11-26-2015, 12:54 AM

Thanks for that info. Im pretty sure its an MBox mini 2. Im using ProTools LE 8 and my mac is a 2010 model. The version of OS has upgraded to El Capitan 10.11.1
Old 11-26-2015, 02:10 AM

No Avid Audio interface works with El Capitan.
Old 11-26-2015, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahzael View Post
Thanks for that info. Im pretty sure its an MBox mini 2. Im using ProTools LE 8 and my mac is a 2010 model. The version of OS has upgraded to El Capitan 10.11.1
Neither Pro Tools LE8 nor the MBox 2 Mini will work with Mac OSX 10.11 El Capitan unfortunately.

The last Mac OSX LE8 was compatible with was OSX Snow Leopard 10.6.8., have a look there.
http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...nload/en393651
The last Mac OSX the MBox 2 Mini was compatible with was OSX Mavericks 10.9.4., check it out there.
http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/d...2-Mini-Drivers

So you only have to options which are
1) to roll back your Mac OS to Snow Leopard and go on like before
2) find a retailer in Australia who still offers the LE-to-PT12-upgrade for about US $199.-.

Unfortunately this kinda upgrade is not officially available from Avid anymore, so you would have to check
some pro music shops in your country for some left overs.

If however you cannot find one and still would want to get Pro Tools 12, the most affordable option you will
find there.
http://audiodeluxe.com
If you register with them (which is free) and open a free account, they will offer you Pro Tools 12 (versions
11+10 included as well) + 1 year upgrades and support for US $350.- only. This will be half the price you
would pay normally.
As this is only codes and numbers, no hardware, you can buy it from Australia as well.
Just login, put the article in the cart and they will show you the reduced price.
http://audiodeluxe.com/products/avid...-101112-bundle

You might be aware of that you will have to replace your MBox with a more current interface if you want to
stay on OSX El Capitan. There will be no drivers for the Digidesign 2 series interfaces for El Capitan anymore.

The best of success to you whatever you decide to do finally!