Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Digidesign Hardware & Software

Old 02-08-2013, 07:39 AM

Default Activating Old Versions of Sound Designer & Pro Tools

I have an old Quadra 650 running OS 8.1 that has an old version of Sound Designer (2.8) and Pro Tools (3.2) on it that I haven't used in years. I went to fire it up the other day, and each application asked me to insert the install disk to authorize. Well, those disks have long since been lost.

Does anyone know of any way to activate these old versions without the original disks?

Thanks!
Old 02-08-2013, 09:34 AM

Default Re: Activating Old Versions of Sound Designer & Pro Tools

Nope, you need the floppy authorizer. The authorization is either kept on the floppy, which means the floppy needs to be inserted every time you launch the program, or you can copy the authorization from the floppy to the hard drive. However if you do that and the hard drive gets reformatted, or it fails, you're screwed. If you re-formatted the drive without moving your auth back on to the floppy first, your auth is gone forever. Same goes if you try and copy the floppy.

People always complain about having to buy an ilok, I never understand why when you compare it to the potential problems that this old method had.

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?
Old 02-08-2013, 11:36 AM
Avid

Post Re: Activating Old Versions of Sound Designer & Pro Tools

True, you need the floppy diskette that either has the authorization, or was used to authorize the computer.

And to clarify... if you formatted an authorized drive you could actually use the floppy to re-authorize that drive (the floppy knows which drive it authorized). I tested/confirmed this myself back in the day.
Old 08-23-2013, 12:42 PM

Default Re: Activating Old Versions of Sound Designer & Pro Tools

Send me PM off list, I could help you in getting these old software jewels back to life.