Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 05-29-2006, 06:05 AM

Default Importing Sonar5 songs to use in Pro Tools LE7

Congrats to me, i suppose, i finally made the switch. However, i have written many a songs using Sonar5 on a PC and want to bring those into the more robust and powerful PT7. Ahh there in lies the question of HOW? I tried to bring each individual wav file in and import to region list but the tempos and timing are way off. Then i have the problem of not having enough "voices" to hear all the imported tracks even if i could get them to work.

If anyone has done this before, that would be awesome. I suppose the last thing to do is just re-record everything in PT7 and disregard everything on Sonar. That of course would be my least favorite choice. Thanks in advance to all who reply.

---Chingas---

www.DeathIsWaiting.com
Old 05-29-2006, 06:30 AM

Default Re: Importing Sonar5 songs to use in Pro Tools LE7

Don't know if theres another way, but i would bounce the audio out of sonar5, track by track.
Then create a new session in pt, set the tempo and import the audio files.

About the track count ..
PT is limited to 32 voices of audio. 1 voice = 1 mono track, 2 voices = 1 stereo track.
There is an upgrade (music production toolkii) you can buy to get 48 tracks (not voices)

Best wishes
Old 05-29-2006, 06:51 AM

Thanks Bobbers. I did try doing what you suggested but the tempos just don't match, i really have no idea why. The other problem is for one song alone i need over 50 tracks, stereo, so somewhere around 100 voices. Am i really beat? I thought ProTools was the industry standard? How is it i actually have more flexibility with Sonar than Pro Tools?

As for the upgrade, thank you. However, is there an upgrade for voices as well or just track count. I can't seem to understand what one does with tracks he can't hear.

Thanks again.

---Chingas---

www.DeathIsWaiting.com
Old 05-29-2006, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Thanks Bobbers. I did try doing what you suggested but the tempos just don't match, i really have no idea why.
The imported audio dont fit the tempo in protools after you have bounced them from sonar ?

Quote:
The other problem is for one song alone i need over 50 tracks, stereo, so somewhere around 100 voices. Am i really beat? I thought ProTools was the industry standard? How is it i actually have more flexibility with Sonar than Pro Tools?
hmm...guess we have all been there. ProTools is well ... ProTools so it must be the greatest in every single way, right ? and in my opinion it is, but alas not with voice count.

Quote:
As for the upgrade, thank you. However, is there an upgrade for voices as well or just track count. I can't seem to understand what one does with tracks he can't hear.
No, its only for track count ...

When i started using PT i saw the voice count as a big, big no go! I thought this will never work. But you learn to work around it. Sometimes it still bug me and propably will until i have saved enough to buy a HD card

Im guessing that your 50 tracks project dont have audio on all of them simultaneously ? so that means that you can drag audio from other tracks up to fit on those and then use automation to enable/disaple plugins and so on. Or bounce some tracks together. Or convert some tracks to mono, if you dont need them to be in stereo.

And even if you have audio on all 50 tracks you can still do it. You will just have to mix them in sections and them bounce them down. Takes more time, yes - but it can be done
Old 05-29-2006, 07:55 AM

Thanks again Bobbers. Yeah the tempo thing is just plain old Weird. 100.96 out of Sonar5, 100.96 in at PT7 and to no avail. I even tried a few different key tempos, 120, 240, 80, 96 and still, nada.

As for the voices and not the ones in my head, it's a shame but at the same token a challenge. It probably is a much bigger selling point for the HD, TDM, ICON type systems. As for the challenge i am definately game. The underground work involved to premix my sonar files into a consolidated 16 tracks will be an impressive task but i'm sure i'll learn something down the road to help me later in my projects.

Thanks for your time.

---Chingas---

www.DeathIsWaiting.com
Old 05-29-2006, 10:29 PM

Not to open up a can of worms here, but if you just bought Pro Tools LE, I'm guessing you haven't bought any of the Music Production packs and you don't have very many plugins for Pro Tools yet.

If this is indeed the case, I would probably leave your Sonar songs in Sonar - you probably have more tools in Sonar right now if you've been using it for a while, and it would be easier to finish them there. Transferring to PT is worth it if you're going to have the songs mixed in a studio with PT, but otherwise, recreating all of the plugins, midi instruments, and automation is too much of a headache. You won't really gain much.

As for transferring the tracks from Sonar to PT, if you still want to do this, then there are two methods.

If you've already paid Digi $500 for Digitranslator, which allows you to import/export OMF files (which Sonar can do as well) then use it. Your plugins and automation won't transfer, but your audio will show up in the right places on different tracks for each.

If you don't have Digitranslator, then make sure you are using per-project Audio folders (Options-->Global-->Audio Data tab.)

Then consolidate all of your mono audio regions in Sonar by bouncing to clips (select the audio in the track, right click, then Bounce to Clip), making sure each track is made up of one continuous file that starts at the beginning of the song.

Bounce all of your stereo tracks to two new mono tracks a piece (select the audio in the track, Edit--> Bounce to Track.) You'll want to choose Mono as the Channel format, and may choose a different Source Category (tracks, buses, main output) depending on what you are trying to do.

Now that all of your audio is in mono tracks that are the full length of the song, importing into PT is pretty easy.

Start a new project in PT with the same bit and sample rates you used in Sonar. Make sure to use Broadcast Waves for your audio tracks instead of Aiff files (since all the Sonar files are Broadcast Waves this is just easier.)

Now set the tempo in Pro Tools. If you try to do this after you import the audio, it won't work right. Go to File-->Import Audio. Navigate to the folder where all of your Sonar tracks are for the song you want to import. Sort by Creation Date. Grab all of the files that were created the day you organized them in Sonar. Add them to your project.

Now you should have one PT track for every mono Sonar track.

Peace,

P.S.

For the sake of your expectations, it is important to clarify that you bought Pro Tools LE, NOT Pro Tools HD. Pro Tools HD is much more powerful and much more expensive. Pro Tools software interfaced with Pro Tools HD hardware is the industry standard. Pro Tools LE and its associated hardware is not entirely the same thing. The differences come down to track count, quality of pres, converters, and clocks in the equipment, and DSP hardware. In LE you'll have to monkey with latency settings when recording or mixing intensive projects. HD systems don't have to deal with this in the same way.

That being said, Pro Tools LE has some great advantages for project and home studio users over some of the other software out there, since Pro Tools HD is used so widely in studios. The core functions of the software behaves the same as Pro Tools HD, and you can use a lot of the same plugins, so using LE is great when you want to learn how to use Pro Tools- it can prepare you for being quite effective in the studio and save you a lot of time and $$ trying to figure out how the heck you do "x" in Pro Tools HD. LE also has an advantage in that files in LE and HD are interchangeable (as long as you don't try to take a Pro Tools 7.x file from LE into an earlier version of LE or HD.) This means you can work on your songs at home, then take them into a studio and mix them there (or pay a pro to do it.) Of course, you could run into incompatibility with plugins, but most likely the studio has most anything you would buy anyways.
Old 05-30-2006, 12:43 AM

Tunekicker, thanks for your detailed reply. I'm gonna check to see if i got translator. I bought my setup used and he had all sorts of stuff that carried over to me. If i got it, i'll try method one. If I don't i'll try method two.

I think i may have been going wrong with the tempo by not setting it up right away. I'm trying to remember what i did but nonetheless i will try what you said. I appreciate the reply, i'll let you know the success rate later.

As for the LE to HD, comparison, I'm simply shocked that Digi would let Cakewalk out do them in a few aspects. Especially one that is just so blatent. I've heard nothing but good things about Pro Tools that when I was shopping for a Project Studio I made it a point to get Pro Tools with a 002R. It never crossed my mind that Sonar5 had a few tricks that PT7 didn't, at least on the consumer level. Be-that-as-it-may, I am still 100% satisfied with PT7 and like i said replying to Bobbers, it poses a creative challenge for me that I'm willing to grab by the horns.

---Chingas---

www.DeathIsWaiting.com