Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack

Old 10-07-2015, 08:23 AM

Default Re: New here-potential buyer with a question

So far, my 11R has done everything that I have asked it to do within it's realm. Sure, there are better units but for what I need it for, it works very well. Why Avid let this go, I have no idea. I'm guessing that the 11R's capabilities are just scratching the surface of what it "could" do with further development by a good engineering team. Wouldn't it be something if Avid actually did that, brought out an "Eleven Rack II" that was every bit as good as the $2000+ units at less than half the price? (That's a Hint, Hint aimed at Avid BTW)
Old 10-07-2015, 11:26 AM

Thanks again gentlemen!
I have read most of the manual.. and was hoping that by utilizing FX1/2 I could have a second instance of the drive block... sadly it looks like they have allowed this capability with nearly EVERY other effect EXCEPT the drives. Same problem I have with the Mustang Floor Great sounding unit rendered useless by simple design flaw. you cant move the loop. It is fixed right in front chain, before EVERYTHING, and only one efx type per chain (more or less)

Was hoping for a good one and done product, as my needs are very simple.
clean amp, wah, dirt box one for some dirty tone, dirt box two for more saturated tone, delay and reverb. (I hate changing to different presets)

I guess I will have to use an outboard pedal in the loop for one of the dirty drives. I understand the loop can be placed near the front of the chain, between wah and dist.

No biggie, may even experiment with using a comp to push one of the drive pedals harder.

I still think this unit will suit my needs as they are bone head simple!!
The sound samples I have heard and seen on youtube are pretty remarkable.

Thank you again!!
Old 10-07-2015, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarded View Post
Thanks again gentlemen!
I have read most of the manual.. and was hoping that by utilizing FX1/2 I could have a second instance of the drive block... sadly it looks like they have allowed this capability with nearly EVERY other effect EXCEPT the drives. Same problem I have with the Mustang Floor Great sounding unit rendered useless by simple design flaw. you cant move the loop. It is fixed right in front chain, before EVERYTHING, and only one efx type per chain (more or less)

Was hoping for a good one and done product, as my needs are very simple.
clean amp, wah, dirt box one for some dirty tone, dirt box two for more saturated tone, delay and reverb. (I hate changing to different presets)

I guess I will have to use an outboard pedal in the loop for one of the dirty drives. I understand the loop can be placed near the front of the chain, between wah and dist.

No biggie, may even experiment with using a comp to push one of the drive pedals harder.

I still think this unit will suit my needs as they are bone head simple!!
The sound samples I have heard and seen on youtube are pretty remarkable.

Thank you again!!
Or just do more playing in settings in the amp sim block itself. Or switch rigs to a different amp sim (which is slower than just a CC change).
Old 10-08-2015, 06:35 AM

thanks for the info!

I have placed my order.
New for $300... they are making me buy it at that price!!
Seems like a stupid good deal for what it does.
I have a midi pedal board already so no extra expense getting up and running.

I plan on playing through a small tube combo, into the fx return, so that should go a long way towards giving it a realistic feel.

I do appreciate the help!!!
Old 10-08-2015, 09:21 AM

I personnaly had mixed results with effect return of a combo. Don't drive it too much as the power amp will start to impregnate it's own signature and same thing with the speaker. Also don't expect to have a full stack sound out of a 1x12" open back combo.

Neverthless, my 11R is a really nice piece of equipment in the studio and live.
You may have to create presets for different environments, easier than trying to have one preset that work great in all of them.
Old 10-08-2015, 01:47 PM

Hey DonaldR. Thanks for taking the time.
I will surely bear that all in mind when it gets here.
I have a somewhat decent powered monitor I may use if the amp don't cut it.

I won't really have to worry about the other I am a church musician, my setup hasn't really changed spots in 15 years. LOL

I do appreciate the advice and will probably have plenty of questions forthcoming.
Old 10-09-2015, 12:51 PM

I currently have 3 setup, each have it's on set of rigs
1- tube power amp with a 4x12" cab, cab sim off
2- EV ZLX12P powered PA speaker, cab sim on
3- solid-state 1x12" combo, cab sim off

Config 1 is when I want to play guitar alone loud and fun.
Config 2 is when I play live, using the ZLX12P as a monitor. I also use this config to dial my patches for direct to FOH and when I want to rehearse new material. To me it sounds like I'm the guitar player on the track :)
Config 3 is when I go jamming with friends, usually using only 2-3 rigs

I will replace config 1 and 3 in the future with config 4: a matrix gt1000fx power amp and 1-2 matrix NL12 cab(s).