Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2002, 02:39 AM

Default Soundelux mics-anybody used these mics?

Hi, I've been looking at the Soundelux range of mics, in particular the S99 multi pattern valve (tube !!) . <<www.soundelux.com>>
Has anyone used any of their range , and what results ? I can't find any reviews on the net, but hope to get a demo model shortly to try out.
They're made in the US, but I never see them mentioned in DUC etc. Interested to hear from anyone.
Cheers.
003 & Midas Venice desk
Mindprint DTC
Soundelux U99
Drawmer M-Clock
Old 11-08-2002, 05:41 AM

Default Re: Soundelux mics-anybody used these mics?

The Soundelux microphones were introduced to me about 4 years ago, but it wasn't until about 6 months ago that I started using them. I've not personally used the S99, but I have NO DOUBT it will be great! I've used the Elux251, U195, U99, and a few others. Their microphones are built using current components and technology with vintage designs. Don't be fooled by their horrible website, their microphones are VERY VERY nice!
Old 11-08-2002, 06:10 AM

Hi Brad,
thanks for the info ...looking forward to trying it out now. I meant the U99 infact,got the letter wrong !
Yes I wasn't going to mention their website - how can someone design such a sleek looking mic, and then show it on such a badly laid out website? How come we never hear of these mics, specially here in the UK?
003 & Midas Venice desk
Mindprint DTC
Soundelux U99
Drawmer M-Clock
Old 11-08-2002, 06:59 AM

I'm using a Soundelux U195 and love it. There is no comparison between this mic and some cheaper large diaphragm mics I've used. These mics are not inexpensive, but I believe the price is justified. Clarity and overall sound quality are strictly pro, and construction is top of the line. I use mine with a tube preamp for vocals and acoustic guitars, and it's nice and warm.
Old 11-08-2002, 08:45 AM

Soundelux makes some great mics. You might want to check out a Lawson Mic. I have a Lawson L251, it is a replica of a ELAM 251. I cannot say enough good things about it. Pro Audio Review just did a review of it and they liked it better than the Soundelux 251 replica. They also make an L47 a replica of a U47. The L47 is $2000, the L251 is $2500. Well worth more.
Old 11-09-2002, 09:35 AM

Thanks for the info,SonicProd -never heard of Lawson mics at all- I'll hunt around and see what I can find.
There is a dealer for Soundelux in the UK, ASAP Europe, and I'm hoping for a demo of Soundelux soon. Will post my results as & when.
Thanks for the replies - it's great to get un-biased responses from people!
003 & Midas Venice desk
Mindprint DTC
Soundelux U99
Drawmer M-Clock
Old 11-09-2002, 04:02 PM

I have used the Soundelux mics a lot, working
as an assistant engineer in Hollywood. The studio is Signet Sound, and we are owned by the same company as Soundelux, so we have and use all of their mics.

The studio used to be Motown Hitsville West, so we also have lots of vintage mics too, like
U67's, U47, C12, etc... and I must say that the Soundelux mics are always impressive and frequently requested. In fact, a good testiment is that we have top engineers working in our studio all the time, and many who have used the Soundelux mics now OWN some as well.

I have no incentive to push their mics, nothing in it for me, but I love their mics, and often will reach for a U99 instead of a U67, or the ELUX 251 if it's available (it sounds awesome!)
The U195 is also great. The only mic of theirs I really never really got excited about was the original U95, which doesn't suck by any means, but when you have some of the other vintage mics, like we do at the studio, it was not the first one I would reach for. On the other hand, the rest of the line holds up very well to the vintage selections, and I would just as readily use a Soundelux as a vintage.