Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started

Old 05-17-2018, 10:31 PM

Default How to decrackle an audio file?

Hi everyone,
I keep having troubles with some older piece, one of the audio files has a lot of decent crackeling. Maybe when I did the thing first, years ago, I did not check if there was some clipping in one of the files I used for composing the one which causes trouble now.
I had tried out quite a lot of things, but the crackles seem to be in the mixed file and cannot be avoided by any EQ or limiter. Also, decreasing track loudness does not help.
I even had used Audacity's decrackeling tool, which did not remove any of the crackles. (As if the crackles were not in the file, but are created while playing the file.)
Is there any relyable plugin available which I could insert in a ProTools session?
(Of course I am not looking for the mose expensive one.)
Thanks.
Old 05-17-2018, 10:51 PM

Default Re: How to decrackle an audio file?

Do you have a current subscription plan? If so, download RX6 Elements from your account products page. It’s free. Otherwise download the demo which will work long enough for what you need.

Or you can try Waves X-crackle.
Old 05-18-2018, 12:35 AM

Thankx for fast reply.
I shall try our iZotope. I came across this application which sells at high prices, so this special offer is worth a lot.
I will tell here how I get along with this one.
Old 05-18-2018, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wire57 View Post
Hi everyone,
I keep having troubles with some older piece, one of the audio files has a lot of decent crackeling. Maybe when I did the thing first, years ago, I did not check if there was some clipping in one of the files I used for composing the one which causes trouble now.
I had tried out quite a lot of things, but the crackles seem to be in the mixed file and cannot be avoided by any EQ or limiter. Also, decreasing track loudness does not help.
I even had used Audacity's decrackeling tool, which did not remove any of the crackles. (As if the crackles were not in the file, but are created while playing the file.)
Is there any relyable plugin available which I could insert in a ProTools session?
(Of course I am not looking for the mose expensive one.)
Thanks.
I've not tried Audacity but Adobe Audition and when I have to decrackle a file I find I really have to work the control settings of the tool in use. Also I don't go for trying to remove everything at one time either. A lot of people try to get rid of every bad bit at one time and that doesn't work. Automatic settings also don't really work.

QAPLA!
Old 05-18-2018, 04:36 AM

Just wish to say, iZotope is doing an excellent job. HiFi.
Old 05-18-2018, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wire57 View Post
Just wish to say, iZotope is doing an excellent job. HiFi.
The iZotope stuff is top notch. One of the best purchases you can make is the iZotope Music Production Bundle.

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 05-26-2018, 03:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnedwards View Post
DE click is valuable for reestablishing for old vinyl and other turntable accounts that are loaded with shatters, pops and crackles. DE snap can likewise expel an assortment of short motivation commotions from different sources, including a few ticks caused by advanced mistakes.

QAPLA!
Old 05-26-2018, 03:33 AM

Downloaded the demo for the RX Elements bundle and working with declick to recover some vinyl I have. Went to click on the ? for the help file and got an error message saying the program couldn't find the file at the intended location and to reinstall the program. So I did and got the same error message. Thinking it needed to see the internet I connected the ethernet cable and still got the same message.

Anybody know where the help file is supposed to be located? OSX 10.10.5
Or is this one of those restrictions of the demo like not being able to save things?

Related: anybody have any idea if Izotope will put this or the full RX6 on sale this weekend? They already have a couple of plugins on sale so there's hope.

edit for additional:
If one wants cheaper prices then take a look at B&H. When logged in to one's account RX6 Standard is $359.10, RX6 Elements is $99.99, RX6 Advanced $1079.10 and an upgrade from RX Elements to RX6 Standard is $243. Went to check prices on Audio Deluxe and the site appears to have gone whack-a-doodle and discounts aren't showing in the cart.

Edit for additional info:
Shut down and restarted Firefox, cleared the cache and cookies for Audio Deluxe. It looks like the discounts are showing but not for Izotope s/w (not including those on discount for this weekend). Other s/w than Izotope shows the May2018 discount code in the cart.

QAPLA!

Last edited by musicman691; 05-26-2018 at 08:13 AM. Reason: added pricing
Old 05-26-2018, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Gone.
Old 05-26-2018, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post

Related: anybody have any idea if Izotope will put this or the full RX6 on sale this weekend? They already have a couple of plugins on sale so there's hope.
The RX sales were in April this year. The upgrade pricing in this sale period was pretty good; I had planned to do the Standard 5 to 6 Advanced upgrade for $400ish (usually $700ish), but the Advanced feature set wasn't attractive for me so I did Standard 5 to Standard 6 for $129 through AD.

I know you follow the sales and have seen that Izotope has something on sale all the time. I don't think RX will pop up soon, as they just did it.