Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11

Old 10-13-2014, 11:57 PM

Default Can someone help me understand CPTK purchase options?

Hey Guys,

I understand its no longer available trough AVID but as a second hand purchase..

My questions are as follows.

1: Can I just buy the CPTK 2 for my PT10 and it will work? (I see one never used for sale but it says it Digidesign Music production toolkit 2 for M powered and LE systems) Will this work with my 10?

2: Why did they stop doing this? Is it now PT 11 and 11 HD native in replace of this? I have 11 but I have not yet start using it.

3: Is there any prior requirements I need before getting a CPTK upgrade?

Does anyone have a retail price on HD native, on AVID right now it says coming November?

Thanks!
Old 10-14-2014, 01:33 AM

Default Re: Can someone help me understand CPTK purchase options?

Quote:
1: Can I just buy the CPTK 2 for my PT10 and it will work? (I see one never used for sale but it says it Digidesign Music production toolkit 2 for M powered and LE systems) Will this work with my 10?
CPTK2, yes. MPTK, does nothing for you.

Quote:
2: Why did they stop doing this? Is it now PT 11 and 11 HD native in replace of this? I have 11 but I have not yet start using it.
I'm not going into this tonight. in short money. And it's 11 and 11HD, no HD native as I think your referring to it.

Quote:
3: Is there any prior requirements I need before getting a CPTK upgrade?
no

Quote:
Does anyone have a retail price on HD native, on AVID right now it says coming November?
no clue what your talking about, you want a HD system the price is what it is from your dealer of choice

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

PT11 System Requirements link http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/C...m-Requirements

Thank you,

Craig
Old 10-14-2014, 05:44 AM

Thanks for the reply.. I understood there was talk of a HD system that does not require avid hardware (i.e excel cards) Am i talking out of my ass here?

I figured that if CPTK customers got a free upgrade to 11HD, then that made sense? Maybe I am misunderstanding ..

On this note, do you know where I might find someone selling CPTK2?

thanks
Old 10-14-2014, 06:48 AM

That is indeed the tricky part. I missed upgrading my (now useless) DV Toolkit 2 to CPTK by a couple of days (you snooze, you lose.) Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there a "block" on CPTK I-lok asset transfers now? I've seen a few on Ebay, but buying software assets this way makes me nervous. BEST way would be to buy the bare-bones basic HD system, and re-sell the hardware you don't need. Minimum $4000 proposition, and that's with an 00x-family tradein. The ONLY way you can (could?) get the software-only upgrade is you already own CPTK.
Old 10-14-2014, 07:41 AM

Just to add a few things here:

The Music Toolkit and DV Toolkit features were added into Protools standard version since PT9, so those won't add anything (although see note at the end of my post), and you already have the features in Protools if you have PT9 or later.

Avid has never sold HD software on its own, but only as part of buying an HD system. But for a while they had the CPTK. This would unlock most of the extra HD software features for people with regular Protools. This included expanded track count, surround mixing, VCA tracks, and some other features.

The CPTK was available for Protools 8, 9, and 10. When PT11 came out, the CPTK was discontinued, and won't work in PT11 or any future versions. In doing this, Avid basically cut off the option of being able to get these extra features in regular Protools. So the only way to get these features now is to buy a complete HD system (hardware and software).

However, for those who had, or have, the CPTK, Avid has an option (which I believe will be ending soon) to have a special upgrade of PT9, 10, or 11 plus the CPTK to upgrade to HD11 software by itself without buying hardware. This can be done by anyone with a CPTK license on their Ilok (along with a license for PT9, 10, or 11) regardless of if they are the original CPTK owner, or if they bought if from someone second hand. But keep in mind that once you do this, you will have HD software, and you will be locked into the higher price of HD software upgrades from now on (vs. the price of regular upgrades).

As for HD hardware systems, there is now only HDX (very expensive, replaced the old TDM/Accell systems), or HD Native. If you buy either system, you get the HD software included. You can then use that HD software with any other interface, or your computer's built in I/O, if you don't want to use the HD hardware. HD Native is the cheaper option, but still starts at $5000 (or $4000 if you trade in a 002/003 or Mbox Pro).

One note regarding the old Music Toolkit:

If you have indeed found an opportunity to buy one new in box that has never been registered to anyone, and it's not that expensive, you may still want to buy it just for the extra plugins that come with it. Things like TL Space and Eleven LE can be useful.

When I say not that expensive, I mean under $100. If it's too expensive, it's not worth getting for the plugins, because you can just buy those plugins second hand (although TL Space is not cheap).

If you decided to buy it, you would register the Toolkit, but not install it. The registration will deposit the various plugin licenses in your Ilok account, and you can download the latest installers and use the plugins.

Note again, that this would only be the case if it is new in box and has never been registered to anyone.
Old 10-14-2014, 08:42 AM

Pro Tools Expert had a GREAT idea, which would be for us to be able to buy, ala carte style, the particular features we want. My main interest is surround capability, and I would certainly welcome the option to buy just that particular feature. And whereas I'd rather NOT replace my 003 console, it's at EOS anyway. (That being said, though, I'd likely get a UA Apollo rack, and a Slate Raven MTi)
Old 10-14-2014, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the reply.. I understood there was talk of a HD system that does not require avid hardware (i.e excel cards) Am i talking out of my ass here?

I figured that if CPTK customers got a free upgrade to 11HD, then that made sense? Maybe I am misunderstanding ..
they way you wrote it it sounded like you wanted to buy a retail HD license only, that is not an option

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

PT11 System Requirements link http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/C...m-Requirements

Thank you,

Craig
Old 10-14-2014, 11:15 AM

it sounded like you wanted to buy a retail HD license only, that is not an option

Yes, as Inspector Cleuseau would say, "Not any more." But if you had PT10 + CPTK you could have at one point. But it wasn't free.
Old 10-14-2014, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
Just to add a few things here:

The Music Toolkit and DV Toolkit features were added into Protools standard version since PT9, so those won't add anything (although see note at the end of my post), and you already have the features in Protools if you have PT9 or later.

Avid has never sold HD software on its own, but only as part of buying an HD system. But for a while they had the CPTK. This would unlock most of the extra HD software features for people with regular Protools. This included expanded track count, surround mixing, VCA tracks, and some other features.

The CPTK was available for Protools 8, 9, and 10. When PT11 came out, the CPTK was discontinued, and won't work in PT11 or any future versions. In doing this, Avid basically cut off the option of being able to get these extra features in regular Protools. So the only way to get these features now is to buy a complete HD system (hardware and software).

However, for those who had, or have, the CPTK, Avid has an option (which I believe will be ending soon) to have a special upgrade of PT9, 10, or 11 plus the CPTK to upgrade to HD11 software by itself without buying hardware. This can be done by anyone with a CPTK license on their Ilok (along with a license for PT9, 10, or 11) regardless of if they are the original CPTK owner, or if they bought if from someone second hand. But keep in mind that once you do this, you will have HD software, and you will be locked into the higher price of HD software upgrades from now on (vs. the price of regular upgrades).

As for HD hardware systems, there is now only HDX (very expensive, replaced the old TDM/Accell systems), or HD Native. If you buy either system, you get the HD software included. You can then use that HD software with any other interface, or your computer's built in I/O, if you don't want to use the HD hardware. HD Native is the cheaper option, but still starts at $5000 (or $4000 if you trade in a 002/003 or Mbox Pro).

One note regarding the old Music Toolkit:

If you have indeed found an opportunity to buy one new in box that has never been registered to anyone, and it's not that expensive, you may still want to buy it just for the extra plugins that come with it. Things like TL Space and Eleven LE can be useful.

When I say not that expensive, I mean under $100. If it's too expensive, it's not worth getting for the plugins, because you can just buy those plugins second hand (although TL Space is not cheap).

If you decided to buy it, you would register the Toolkit, but not install it. The registration will deposit the various plugin licenses in your Ilok account, and you can download the latest installers and use the plugins.

Note again, that this would only be the case if it is new in box and has never been registered to anyone.
Thanks for this thorough explanation.. So with HD native what hardware comes with that?

PS can anyone tell me the diffrence between the CPTK 1 and 2?

thanks!
Old 10-14-2014, 01:17 PM

CPTK 1 and 2 designations only had to do with which extra plugins were bundled at the time if you had bought them brand new.

For your purposes, if you buy a CPTK 1 or 2 license from someone off the forum, it will be the CTPK license only, with no extra plugins. In either case, it will be all you need to unlock the extra features in PT10.

Or, either license will suffice if you use it for the special upgrade of CPTK plus PT10 to HD11, etc. In that case, you will surrender the regular PT10 (or 11) license and surrender the CPTK license to get the HD11/10 license.

As for HD Native systems, it comes down to how many inputs/outputs you need as to which bundle you decide to get. The minimum is the Omni, which gives you 4 analog ins (and up to 4 digital ins) and 8 analog or digital out. The Omni also includes built in monitor control, and 2 built in preamps/DI's. Beyond that would be one of the HD IO's, which are just line ins only, and you would need a monitor controller, and external mic preamps.

You would also need to decide if you want the PCIe card version, or the Thunderbolt version.