Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2008, 04:06 PM

Default Session Template Questions

2 things:

1) When i open a stationary pad session template and choose Create New Session, it opens a new session as expected, but also in the same location as the Session template, it makes a copy of the session (session template copy 1) as well. Is there a way to make this not happen?

2) I have a session template that i want to always have some stock audio in every session. I work in post and i have a timed 2 pop for a specific series as well as some title card music and theme song that i want in every session that i open from the template. Now when i open a new session from the template. the audio is there but it's not in the New session Audio folder, it's in the Session Template Audio folder. Is there a way to make it so that every time i open a new session from this template that the audio in the session is copied to the new session's audio folder?

Hope it's clear what i'm asking. thanks
Old 05-23-2008, 07:30 PM

Default Re: Session Template Questions

i have my template in its folder ready to go

when i want to start a new tune

i copy the folder (which includes a 7 min wav of smpte and a kick and snare sample i did for click loop groove

the session will have the name of the original so it will need to be re named.

i have no idea if other work this way but
this has always worked wonderfully for me

Old 05-23-2008, 07:33 PM

1) how are you opening the template? creating a new session then importing the template should work

2) importing all from the template would work but, also I keep templates w/ 1k @ -20 dBFS for bars in the Shared users folder, inside of a read only folder, and have the system drive set to Transfer in the Workspace

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 05-24-2008, 02:02 AM

We have a similar scenarion here, how we deal with it is :
Create a new session, and than import the template session - into the newly created session (inc. audio).

easy.
Old 05-24-2008, 10:40 AM

1) When you open the template, do so from within ProTools (using the “Open…” command) and not by double-clicking the template in the finder.

2) When invoking the “Import Session Data” command, pay attention to the settings found in the “Audio Media Options” area of the window. The pop-up menu offers three fairly self-explanatory options. “Copy From Source Media” or “Consolidate From Source Media” are what you want. (For more, see pg. 268 of the PT 7.4 Reference Guide.)

IHTH.

We’ll fix it in the shrink-wrap. (Frank Zappa)

Old 05-24-2008, 11:03 AM

I create a template session. Every time I want to create a new session, I simply duplicate that folder and rename the folder and session file in Finder?

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp
Old 05-24-2008, 11:19 AM

Nothing wrong with that, Barry. I try to perform as many disk-related tasks entirely within ProTools, under the impression that this helps with the application’s upkeep of its database files.

IHTH.

We’ll fix it in the shrink-wrap. (Frank Zappa)

Old 05-24-2008, 08:02 PM

Pro Tools Import Tracks feature is so good that I don't even make templates anymore.

I just import the tracks and window configurations that I want.

Saving I/O setings is important though.
Old 05-24-2008, 08:54 PM

Quote:
1) When i open a stationary pad session template and choose Create New Session, it opens a new session as expected, but also in the same location as the Session template, it makes a copy of the session (session template copy 1) as well. Is there a way to make this not happen?
Another way around this is to drag n drop your template session onto your PT alias in the dock, that way no annoying "copy" in your folder

b.o.l.
e
Old 05-25-2008, 06:22 PM

Here's still another way:

Create template and dbl click from the Workspace Browser.