Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2015, 09:02 PM

Default Upgrade to PT12 : $99 or $199 ?

Trying to compare the 2 options, and wondering if my understanding is correct: the $99 upgrade version from 11) provides exact same package **minus** the Eleven rack and support, is that right ?

Considering I have never used Avid direct support, I don't think I would use the guitar treatment features (Eleven rack), just wondering if that's ok to go just with the $99 option ? Am I missing something else ?

And with this upgrade, am I losing anything I have with PT 11 (plug-ins, AIR instruments, and so on ? ) Is MIDI implementation any better (for external hardware definition) than PT 11 or similar ? And how about behaviour with Native Instruments Komplete 9 ?

I'm on Mac OSX 10.8.5 BTW.

Thanks !
Rob
Old 10-30-2015, 09:12 PM

Default Re: Upgrade to PT12 : $99 or $199 ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanstrad View Post
Trying to compare the 2 options, and wondering if my understanding is correct: the $99 upgrade version from 11) provides exact same package **minus** the Eleven rack and support, is that right ?
That is correct. But you do get "7-Days Installation Support" with that $99 upgrade. I haven't ever used that, but I'd assume it's a week that you can contact them for help installing the software and getting it to talk to your sound card.

Quote:
Considering I have never used Avid direct support, I don't think I would use the guitar treatment features (Eleven rack), just wondering if that's ok to go just with the $99 option ? Am I missing something else ?
If you don't want/need support and don't want/need the Eleven plug-in, then you're not missing anything else.

Quote:
And with this upgrade, am I losing anything I have with PT 11 (plug-ins, AIR instruments, and so on ? ) Is MIDI implementation any better (for external hardware definition) than PT 11 or similar ? And how about behaviour with Native Instruments Komplete 9 ?
Not that I know of. There might be some improvements with the NI stuff, I'm not positive. Maybe not. Check over at the Virtual Instruments subforum here to make sure.

12 has more features (and the indispensable disk cache function) so you should be fine. But some users are reporting that they lose their "bundle" license when upgrading - they start out with a 10/11 license, expect to upgrade to a 10/11/12 license, but only receive a 12 license - but I didn't encounter that problem. Just be vigilant about it, if they don't give you the proper license then you should contact support immediately. You do have that 7-day install support, after all.

Quote:
I'm on Mac OSX 10.8.5 BTW.
That meets the requirements. Make sure the rest of the requirements are met, too - ideally you would have a quad-core i7 and 8+ GB RAM. Bonus points for a solid state hard drive, negative points for a fusion drive. The conventional wisdom is that any computer capable of running PT11 can run PT12.

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...m-Requirements
Old 10-31-2015, 01:23 AM

Along with these questions,, can a guy, after having PT's 12 for a few months, then decide to get the Eleven rack plugs etc. (another $99). Or do they have to be bought together?
Thanks, Mike
Intel Core i7 4790K 4.0GHz | Asus Z97-Pro LGA 1150 Intel 6Gb | Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB DDR3 2400 | Asus GT640 Silent 2 GB GDDR3 | Samsung 850 Pro SSD's, WD Caviar Black HDD's | PSU Corsair 750W ATX12V | Windows 10 | Presonus Studio One | 003R PT's 12.8 | Waves Platinum | Ivory/Piano | Berlin Woodwinds, Nocturne Solo Violin | SPITFIRE Solo Strings | EastWest Hollywood Strings, Brass, Pro Drummer, and Stormdrum 2 | VSL | Vienna Ensemble Pro | M-Audio Code 61, FaderPort 8 |
Old 10-31-2015, 02:11 AM

Quote:
You won´t miss anything with PT12 as PT Native never has offered more than today. Check out all the cool (HD) stuff
has been implied with PT12 Native with the latest updates.
http://www.avidblogs.com/new-pt12-3-and-ptdock/

Further version 12 under normal circumstances does work better, smoother and tighter at the same time as well as it
goes a lot easier on the CPU than 11.

Btw you won´t miss any plugins or AIR instruments because you had to use AAX64bit with 11 already and the standard
Pro Tools plugins and AIR plugs/VIs still will be included in the PT12 bundle. It´s only the additionally introduced bonus
plugin bundle (came with the 12.2 update) which will not be included in the $99.- offer.

All the best to you!
Old 10-31-2015, 06:35 AM

Thanks to all. Very useful!

One other point: do you install it as any update or should i remove 11 first?
Then will it keep all settings (including projects made under 9 to 11)?
Old 10-31-2015, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Thanks to all. Very useful!

One other point: do you install it as any update or should i remove 11 first?
Then will it keep all settings (including projects made under 9 to 11)?
If I personally replace a major version of Pro Tools, means 11 instead of 10 or 12 instead of 11, I always
even do a clean install of the whole system. Many pros here in the DUC tend to recommend this too.

However if this would be too much action for you finally, you should uninstall 11 before installing 12 at least.
As far as Pro Tools plugins/VIs are concerned your settings should be restored via your Pro Tools sessions
but as a precaution you just may save your personal presets to an external device.

Btw updates within a major version of Pro Tools, means 12.2 instead of 12.1 etc., I simply install over the
existing ones as well of course. Since PT12 there got an app installed called -Pro Tools Application Manager-
which finally does the job automatically. I kinda like it.

Last edited by VRW; 10-31-2015 at 11:30 AM.
Old 10-31-2015, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianosound View Post
Along with these questions,, can a guy, after having PT's 12 for a few months, then decide to get the Eleven rack plugs etc. (another $99). Or do they have to be bought together?
Thanks, Mike
they appear to be a separate purchase ... i went the 99.00 route because i really never call support ... and no need for the plugins or eleven ..

just my .02 ....

Macbook Pro july 2014 2.5ghz 16gb ram 512gb SSD - OS11.6.5 - PT 2021.3
Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 10-31-2015, 03:16 PM

Thanks john1192,,, I was kinda leaning that way. I would imagine that if I were to need the plugs, that they wouldn't have a problem taking my money?! Either way (as others have said), $99 is not a bad deal at all!
Mike
Intel Core i7 4790K 4.0GHz | Asus Z97-Pro LGA 1150 Intel 6Gb | Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB DDR3 2400 | Asus GT640 Silent 2 GB GDDR3 | Samsung 850 Pro SSD's, WD Caviar Black HDD's | PSU Corsair 750W ATX12V | Windows 10 | Presonus Studio One | 003R PT's 12.8 | Waves Platinum | Ivory/Piano | Berlin Woodwinds, Nocturne Solo Violin | SPITFIRE Solo Strings | EastWest Hollywood Strings, Brass, Pro Drummer, and Stormdrum 2 | VSL | Vienna Ensemble Pro | M-Audio Code 61, FaderPort 8 |
Old 10-31-2015, 03:35 PM

So i too am wondering this question. If I look at the specification the 99 anual upgrade makes no mention of the PT11, where the 199 monthly does. I dont really care that much but I want to keep my PT11 as its my investment and most of the how too videos etc that I like to reference are all PT11 (groove3.com for example) and I want to be able to work in either version. Im just curious if anyone has upgraded in the last week or two specifically can confirm what their license said. See below:

Pro Tools 12 upgrade with Annual Upgrade and Support Plan

Includes Pro Tools 12, 11, and 10 licenses and activation (must surrender your current Pro Tools 9–11, Pro Tools Express, Pro Tools M-Powered, or Pro Tools MP licenses)—download required (includes software/plug-in installers and user guides)
1-year Annual Upgrade Plan (includes access to all new Pro Tools releases, renewable annually)
1-year Annual Plug-in and Support Plan (includes access to bonus plug-ins and support, renewable annually)

Pro Tools 12 upgrade with Annual Upgrade Plan

Includes Pro Tools 12 license and activation (must surrender your current Pro Tools 10/11 licenses)—download required (includes software/plug-in installers and user guides)
1-year Annual Upgrade Plan (includes access to all new Pro Tools releases for one year), renewable annually
Old 10-31-2015, 03:54 PM

$99.

I didn't need the support.

I have Eleven already.

I fancy the new plugins but would prefer to buy them rather than renting then.

Stephen

https://www.waves.com/r/djgsi6