Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 11-12-2011, 09:36 AM

Default Re: Audio tracks stop playing back/outputs disable

A lot of things seem to be affecting Pro Tools 10 outputs, and making them stop.

Today, I'm working on a mix. Have everything pretty well set for basic levels. There's one stereo guitar overdub that has no output assigned, because I was saving it to comp, and didn't want it getting into any rough mixes.

So I assign it to output A 1-2. It plays back as expected. But down about 15 tracks ALL the keyboard outputs are not working. I see meter activity, but they are not playing back. They are assigned to B 1-2.

I have an OMNI I/O HD interface and a legacy 192 interface with an extra D/A card in it for 16 outputs.

The Omni handles analog outputs 1-8 (A 1-2, A 3-4, A 5-6, A 7-8)

The 192 handles analog outputs 9 - 14 (B 1-2, B 3-4....B 13-14)

I have the 192's last output pair (15-16) assigned to the Enclosure AES output, which goes to my Benchmark DAC.

Maybe this is an Expanded System problem? Magma Chassis connected to multiple hardware I/O's? It's never outputs from one interface or the other that are susceptible, ALL of them are. It is completely random whether it is from outputs A 1-8 or outputs B 9-14. Sometims a combination of the two, like some drum outputs (A 1-2), some Vocals (A 7-8) etc.

But it is a problem, and happens everyday. Changing outputs, importing audio to new tracks, instantiating plugins on the fly, Instantiating plugins while idle. ALL these things can cause random outputs to stop, requiring a "toggle" or a Pro Tools restart.
Pro Tools 10/11 HD, Mac OS 10.8.2, Mac Pro 2 x 2.4 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon (June 2012) 64 Gig RAM, Avid HDX Card, OMNI HD I/O, 192 HD 16x16, Artist MC Control, Firewire audio drives, Sony Bravia 42" HDMI monitor, Acer 24" monitor
Old 11-12-2011, 10:45 AM

I've experienced this a few times on 9.0.3.
Old 11-12-2011, 11:09 AM

definitely still happening every day upon any session import data (pt10HD lion/mac). also when you drag audio onto the edit window from the finder.
Old 11-14-2011, 01:23 AM

Guys,

Just to let you all know, I sent an ASC bug report to Avid since we're not getting any response from so called "Digi Tech Support" here (although he seems to be here answering back to people criticising the upgrade price, but not respecting the people who've actually have upgraded and have got problems). They've already ignored my last ASC report from 10 days ago about something else, so let's see how we get on with this one.

Missing 200 employees is probably why I suspect.

Poor show I say.

Cheers all.

Steve Bush
www.music180.com/pros/5887
Old 11-14-2011, 08:30 AM

As an assist to coders...

Is this a Mac only issue? Is anyone on Windows seeing this?

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 11-14-2011, 08:31 AM

+1

Master fader stops passing audio 3-4 times a day on 10. Fixed by restart.

Please fix! Anyone who's still left in there!

Rubicon

MP 2019 28 core, 384gb 8T
Old 11-14-2011, 08:47 AM

Had Digi really not chimed in here once on this thread? Can anyone confirm if they know about it's existence? Wow, this is possibly the worst bug I've ever heard about. Any bug that crashes a system at least 'crashes' a system.

With this bug, you can have zero confidence even using the program!
Old 11-14-2011, 09:04 AM

+1

This happens to me occasionally. Seems to happen to me when I am changing outputs on tracks.

Does any body have a workflow that definitely recreates this problem every time?
160 GB RAM
macOS 11.7.4
Noisebox Studios -Utah Recording Studio
Old 11-14-2011, 11:03 AM

Guys,

To be fair, I'm not ruling out a possible plugin conflict here. By that I mean, I took the opportunity to grab the very latest versions of all my 3rd party plugins as I went through the "birthday" process (ie: totally fresh build up of OS and PT from clean, reformatted everything). Of course that doesn't mean that at least one of these manufacturers doesn't have an issue with PT10, but at this point I haven't had the chance to track it down. Like I said above, I will try to find the time to isolate a 100% repeatable scenario, but I have to work on some jobs for the next few days at least (needless to say I can't do my work without the plugs listed below, so I just have to keep my wits about me in the interim).

Quick and dirty "non-standard" Plugs list

Autotune 5 & 7
Antares Harmony EFX
Brainworx (most of them)
Eleven TDM
HEAT
Massey (All of them except DRT or DTM)
MoogerFooger
POD Farm 2
PTIEP (All of it)
Sonnox Oxford Limiter
Slate Digital FG-X / VCC / Trigger
SPL Transient Designer and TwinTube
Stylus RMX
VocAlignPro

Anyone else got similar plugs that might help us isolate the potential problem area??

Cheers

Steve Bush
www.music180.com/pros/5887
Old 11-14-2011, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzi45Z View Post
+1

Does any body have a workflow that definitely recreates this problem every time?
Yes, several things will cause this

Import any audio and let it assign to a track (not the clip bin).

Import a mixer channel with audio in it using "Import Session Data".

Those things will ALWAYS cause random outputs to drop out on my rig. These things will SOMETIMES cause it:

Instantiate an RTAS plugin. The channel you're on will work. Others will randomly stop.

Import several mixer channels via "Import Session Data" without bringing in the audio.
Pro Tools 10/11 HD, Mac OS 10.8.2, Mac Pro 2 x 2.4 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon (June 2012) 64 Gig RAM, Avid HDX Card, OMNI HD I/O, 192 HD 16x16, Artist MC Control, Firewire audio drives, Sony Bravia 42" HDMI monitor, Acer 24" monitor