Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Artist Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2011, 06:47 PM

Location: Planet Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Observable Universe
Lightbulb Feature Request: Assignable "Midi faders"

Feature Request: Assignable "Midi faders"

Considering the flexibility of EuCon along with the fact that the Artist system already has 4 midi ports, wouldn't it be great if one could asign specific midi controllers, port and channels to any faders in the EuControl application?

For example, I would find extremely useful if I could use 4 of my 20 faders for different midi controllers on a desired channel and port (volume cc7 - I believe the current default, modulation, and any other misc midi controllers)

Pressing SEL could enable "channel select mode" in which the knob above each fader would let you select the midi channel. The ON could let you select one of the 127 midi controllers the fader would operate on.

Or a similar system could be developed.

These settings however would have to be "locked" on the particular fader and would also be saved along with the Layout.
Old 10-26-2011, 02:47 AM

Default Re: Feature Request: Assignable "Midi faders"

As a follow-up to this excellent suggestion: what is the current purpose of these 4 MIDI ports? Should I be able to use them for something? They are visible in the Audio MIDI setup in Mac OS X, but they don't seem to be sending anything.
Old 10-27-2011, 12:30 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by heilei View Post
As a follow-up to this excellent suggestion: what is the current purpose of these 4 MIDI ports? Should I be able to use them for something? They are visible in the Audio MIDI setup in Mac OS X, but they don't seem to be sending anything.
Hey guys,

The virtual MIDI ports are for Mackie and HUI emulation...not for general MIDI.

However in Logic there is a way to build MIDI faders in the environment.

First, create a track you'll use just to control MIDI CC, and another one you'll record to.

In the Environment, create a fader object, a monitor (to see what the fader object is sending), a transformer, monitor (to make sure the transformer's doing what you want it to), then sequencer input.

The Fader object should show value as number, inputs and outputs set to control, and set filter to other.

The transformer object should be set to Apply operation and filter non matching events.
Here you can fix the type of data to which CC you want to write.

In the arrange window, make sure the track you are recording to matches the channel you specified in the TRANSFORMER object, and that value as is set to num.

Make a MIDI region, put some notes in it, and automate away.

I know it's not the most elegant way to do this -

Cheers,
JC
Old 10-27-2011, 02:52 PM

Interesting stuff.

And once you get it going, save the results as a template, for next time...
Old 10-29-2011, 11:15 AM

Location: Planet Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Observable Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC Haydon View Post
Hey guys,

The virtual MIDI ports are for Mackie and HUI emulation...not for general MIDI.

However in Logic there is a way to build MIDI faders in the environment.

First, create a track you'll use just to control MIDI CC, and another one you'll record to.

In the Environment, create a fader object, a monitor (to see what the fader object is sending), a transformer, monitor (to make sure the transformer's doing what you want it to), then sequencer input.

The Fader object should show value as number, inputs and outputs set to control, and set filter to other.

The transformer object should be set to Apply operation and filter non matching events.
Here you can fix the type of data to which CC you want to write.

In the arrange window, make sure the track you are recording to matches the channel you specified in the TRANSFORMER object, and that value as is set to num.

Make a MIDI region, put some notes in it, and automate away.

I know it's not the most elegant way to do this -

Cheers,
JC
Thanks for the tip but that's too complex for me and time consuming.

I was making this suggestion:
1: to make it possible for the Euphonix console to control a sampler, like Kontakt or VSI, outside the daw.

2: to make it possible for the Euphonix console to control plugin faders, like in the Blue Cat series of plugin, where any of the 127 cc can be assigned to a particular fader.
For example their remote control and multiband mixing console:
http://www.bluecataudio.com/Products...RemoteControl/
http://www.bluecataudio.com/Products/Product_MB7Mixer/