How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-16-2016, 10:31 AM

Default Pro Tools 12.5.2 with Spl Crimsom

Hello everyone,

I'm new to this forum, tried to look for an existing thread but didn't find anything.
I'm using the Spl Crimsom audio interface, on a pc, with a win 8 operating system, 64 bit, 12 mb memory ram and I'm not that new to DAWs.
The problem for me is when I import any session on PT, contains 20 tracks more or less, I can't record any new audio track because on the play mode it plays the last recorded track with a 300-500 ms delay.
Of course I changed the buffer size to 64 (this is the minimum I can get), changed the almost all the parameters to the lowest ones so that there will be no latency - but nothing helps.
Is there anyone else here using SPL crimsom and knows how to fix this?
crimsom doesn't have a stand alone software, nor a dsp.
Old 07-17-2016, 03:16 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools 12.5.2 with Spl Crimsom

UP
Old 07-17-2016, 05:00 AM

Welcome to the Community

In order for us to have any chance of helping out we need much more info so please review this page : http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=300050

And post back with as much info as possible.

Thanks

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 07-17-2016, 06:30 AM

I'm having these issues with Crimson, as well as CPU spikes in versions 10, 11 and 12. Please contact SPL support and describe what you are experiencing, as they are currently working on this. My experience with Crimson with Pro Tools and Windows has been that it is practically unusable. Other DAWs work fine. I've been at it for months with both Avid and SPL support, with no solution yet.

Last edited by tnipe; 07-17-2016 at 06:42 AM.
Old 07-18-2016, 04:50 AM

Well I got word from SPL support that they couldn't find anything wrong with the drivers, and they think it is system related or Avid related. They might be right, as other DAWs function correctly. But for now I'm getting another interface to see what happens.
Old 07-18-2016, 05:02 AM

Usually it helps to use larger buffer. Why do you want to use the smallest? Most artists can monitor themselves using 256 buffer @48kHz and there is no reason to go below that (what the artist considers "delay in the cans") -- and when mixing, why not have the largest buffer?
Old 07-19-2016, 01:01 AM

Hello everyone,
thank you for you help.
I contacted SPL support a few days ago and yesdterday I got this reply:
well, Avid must have changed the input monitoring in the recent PT versions. Normally switching off the green „I“ in the track will mute the monitoring, but this only now works for unarmed tracks. If the track is armed you have several option:
1. Mute the track in order not to return it to Crimson
2. Turn on Low Latency Monitoring in PT/Options. Now the monitoring is handed over to Crimson

In Crimson you use the analog monitoring in real time. If you need to add reverb you can do so by inserting a reverb in the track and setting the Mix to 100% wet and -of course- unmute the track or turning off LLM. Now the latency does the pre-delay for the reverb and the mix between vocal and reverb is controlled with the Monitor Mix control on the Crimson and/or the track fader in PT.

Well, I've tried those possibilities already, but it didn't help.
JFreak - I'm talking about record mode, and not mixing. When mixing, I know I can use the larger buffer sizes. When I want to record overdubbing, meaning adding a new recorded track to the session (which I remind you, was recorded in another studio... I never recorded on PT at my home studio because of this problem), the new track doesn't sync with the original time line, it is always delays by a few ms.
When working on other DAWs this problem doesn't occur.
Anyone else tried solving this and succeded?
Old 07-19-2016, 02:14 PM

Up.

Now that I've filled in my computer overview (see my profile), I expect to get more information about this problem :)
Please!
Old 07-20-2016, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamarMal87 View Post
Up.

Now that I've filled in my computer overview (see my profile), I expect to get more information about this problem :)
Please!
Hey, check Window - System usage in PT. When you're experiencing the latency while recording, is your CPU showing 100% usage here? SPL says their drivers are ok by the way. I got a RME interface, and the latency problem is gone for me. But I still get CPU spikes, but the difference for me now is that everything works normally, where as with the Crimson I would experience a lot of issues. But still, I would think there is something with my system/PT that caused this, and not the Crimson drivers. I would hit up Avid support if I were you.