Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-26-2017, 11:26 AM

Default "Dae Loaded" freeze digi 002 rack PT's 7.4Le

I have been running pro tool 7.4Le on windows vista (64) with a mbox2 for years with no issues. I recently purchased a Digi 002 rack on the reverb site, because I wanted more inputs. I purchased an approved firewire card. I've trashed preferences, downloaded recent pace and reinstalled PT's several times. Every time I attempt to load PT's it hangs on "DAE loaded". I've also tried pushing "n" upon loading and changing RTAS to 1, but when I do PT loads and then no sound on any inputs and "clock error". I've searched and searched, but I can't seem to find anything that works. Please help!! Anything would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

P.s. I'm new here and accidentally posted this to the MAC thread instead of windows first. Sorry!
Old 03-26-2017, 07:14 PM

Default Re: "Dae Loaded" freeze digi 002 rack PT's 7.4Le

2 things come to mind here.

#1-did you put the Pro Tools installer disk in the drive, or have it easy to find(like on the desktop) so that Windows would be able to find/install the driver? Look in Control Panel>System>Device Manager>Sound and if the 002 is listed, then the driver is likely installed(assuming no yellow flags)

#2-is there any way to verify that the 002 actually works? The reason I ask this is because almost EVERY 002 ever made may suffer from the well-documented "power harness" issue. You might consider popping the top cover and re-seating each connector 5-6 times each(the scraping action can clean thru any oxidation buildup on the pins ans sockets). With the rack version facing you(and lid off) the power supply is bolted to the right side panel. One connection there(approximately 12 pins) and follow that harness out to 2 more connections and work them all several times.

#3-When you do your Pro Tools install, are you following the instructions in the "getting started guide"? And never(as in NEVER) plug or unplug the firewire cable when the computer or 002 are powered ON. Make connections with everything OFF. Run the installer with the 002 OFF and when the installer tells you to connect the interface, power the 002 ON, wait about 10 seconds, then click OK, let it finish and then reboot. Also, remember that any popup windows mentioning "New Hardware Found" are to be completely ignored(don't click on them at all and they will go away on their own).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 03-27-2017, 10:23 AM

Thank you very much for your suggestions! I really appreciate you taking the time to try and help! That being said, here is what I got.

1. My computer is recognizing my 002 rack without any flags.

2. It's hard for me to determine whether or not the rack is fully functional, but all lights are working upon startup including the 1394 light on the back of the unit, 44.1 light and the mute light. It make what I assume is normal startup sounds as well (a few clicks and brief hum). The front 1394 light turns on when PT's is loading before it freezes on "Dae loaded". I re-seated the "power harness" after reading about that in these forums.

3. Yes, I follow the install instructions and do not turn the unit on until asked. Once I do the prompts say loading 002 drivers. I do not do any hot changes with the firewire cable and ignore the new hardware found messages.

I'm getting to the point where I'm beginning to think it's a compatibility issue with Vista. Are you aware of any compatibility issues with the 002 rack and vista? I just find it weird that my mbox2 has always worked perfectly. The only issue I've ever had was due to explorer 8, which was solved when I uninstalled it. The main issue I have is if I upgrade to windows 7 I'll need to also upgrade pro tools and I can't seem to find a trusted retailer who has it available. If I go full or 12 I'll have to upgrade further in windows and my rack and mbox won't work. I don't have the funds for a new os, PT's and interface either, so you can see my dilemma. Any suggestions or other troubleshooting advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again!
Old 03-28-2017, 06:34 PM

I do seem to remember Vista 64 bit NOT working. Is there any way you could convert to Vista 32 bit? Moving to Windows 7 would force you to go to LE8.0.5, but at that point, I would consider moving to a newer version. PT10 would be a decent option and could probably be had second-hand for $200(and add $40 for an iLok2). 11/12 are a serious move due to the full 64 bit capability, but without 64 bit Windows 7 and lots of RAM(like 16GB or more), you might not feel the improvement(especially if your current Vista machine is a dual-core).

Old 03-29-2017, 01:33 AM

Thanks Again for all of your responses! I purchased a download code for vista 32 ($16) and did a clean install after backing up what I I wanted....and the rack and pro tools work perfectly!!! I'm so excited after weeks of messing with it I can finally get back to making music!! Thank you very much for your help!
Old 03-29-2017, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelto29 View Post
Thanks Again for all of your responses! I purchased a download code for vista 32 ($16) and did a clean install after backing up what I I wanted....and the rack and pro tools work perfectly!!! I'm so excited after weeks of messing with it I can finally get back to making music!! Thank you very much for your help!
That's great news