How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-17-2014, 04:18 AM

Default Cheapest way to get 5.1 in homestudio

Hi guys

I work as a sound editor for film and tv. Now and then I would like to be able to work at home.

I don't need a lot of plug-ins and tracks, but 3 things I need are:

1: Timecode option
2: AAF/OMF to PT conversion
3: 5.1 output

What is the cheapest Pro TOols solution for this? I start with no Pro Tools software to upgrade from unfortunately.

Is there anyway around buying Pro Tools HD, which is too pricey for my budget.

Thank you!
Old 01-17-2014, 07:51 AM

Default Re: Cheapest way to get 5.1 in homestudio

The first two are available in "regular" Protools. The third item (surround) is only available by buying an HD system.

The only workaround would be to buy regular Protools and then buy a Complete Toolkit license from someone, and then you can use that to upgrade to the HD11 software by itself.
Old 01-17-2014, 10:16 AM

In addition to nst7's advice, you also need an interface with at least 6 outputs(to cover the 5.1). Do you have a specific sample rate that your work needs to be? If 48K is good, then you have lots of options for an interface, including a used DIGI003, Focusrite Pro40 or LS56, MOTU 828Mk3, some RME boxes, or at a higher price point; HD Native with either an OMNI IO or an HD IO(buying an HD Native system gets you full HD software as well, solving the software hunt). What nst7 was talking about is Pro Tools 10(non-HD version) with the CPTK(which has been discontinued but may be available on the second hand market). It is also possible to buy HD software from eBay(but its around $1500). Lots to think about here, so ask lots of questions and educate yourself as best you can

BTW, buying Pro Tools HD 11 will get you HD10 as well(depending on what plugins you have, or want, having both may be very handy)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 01-17-2014, 10:54 AM

Surround mixes can also be done without the surround mixer. You just have to know what you're doing. That's how it was done before PT5/MIX.
Old 01-17-2014, 11:41 AM

"...can also be done without the surround mixer."

Agreed. My first home mixing was using a surround receiver (RCA 5.1 DVD input)
cheep Haffler 5" and a radio shack passive sub. (Powered speakers we not so prevalent back then nor was my budget).(PT's Nubus then to HD Mix (The single chip core)

Pro tools non HD with Sends (Pre and Post) for directional mixing.
Even with 5.1 panner outputs using send matrixes is viable and flexible.

Keep an eye out for PT's 9-10 with complete production tool kit licenses and you could upgrade then to HD11 software.

Save up for a HD native system.
Old 02-09-2014, 04:34 AM

Thank you so much, all of you, for you input.

@Albee1952 - - I have a Fasttrack C600 with 6 outputs that I'm quite happy with.
@JFreak and @DetroitT I was hoping there would be a workaround like this (until I save enough money for a HD system) I am not that skilled - - do you know of any places online that explains further how to do this:
"Pro tools non HD with Sends (Pre and Post) for directional mixing.
Even with 5.1 panner outputs using send matrixes is viable and flexible." Sounds like I need something other than my Fastttrack C600 as interface?

I will def also look in to the price of non HD 9 or 10 w production toolkit licences, and then upgrade.

Thanks again all of you.
Old 02-09-2014, 06:18 AM

You have your main stereo output as always, but in addition, you also have outputs to center speaker, two rear speakers (a matter of opinion whether this should be two mono channels or one stereo), and a subwoofer.

You set up your tracks having main output to the stereo output as usual. Basically building your stereo mix first. Then you set up sends for each channel that needs to be somewhere else than up-front stereo (the regular stereo mix).

So for example:
- Send A goes to center speaker output
- Send B goes to stereo rear speaker outputs
- Send C goes to subwoofer output

Then you just use those three sends to build your surround soundscape.
Old 02-11-2014, 03:16 PM

Cheapest native solution with no need for creative workarounds is about $5,000 (HD Native + Omni). Plus monitoring system and cable cost.

Understandably, this is way out of many people's price range (myself included). But think of it from the "time is money" perspective... The system will pay for itself quickly by facilitating a more efficient workflow.

EDIT: Are you freelance? This is a tax writeoff. Not freelance? Get your employer to cover some/all of the cost. In the grand scheme of things, a surround editing bay for less than $10,000 is pretty dang cheap. A used KIA costs more, and makes you no money. If you balk at the cost, there are other, cheaper DAW's that have surround functionality without the need for toolkits or expensive upgrades. Straying from Pro Tools should be a serious consideration, if you simply can't afford otherwise.
Old 02-12-2014, 02:41 AM

@JFreak I get it, thank you so much. Pretty sure this will be my solution, for a while anyway. Cheers!

@mesaone Yes I am working freelance - and for larger projects I am always hired to work in a studio somewhere else, - I will only be using my homestudio for smaller projects, so unfortunately it would take some time before the system pays for itself. And I agree with you, - - straying from Pro TOols is a serious consideration (I don't think I'll ever stray THanks a bunch!
Old 02-12-2014, 02:44 AM

This PlugIn could be helpful:
http://www.newaudiotechnology.com/pr...udio-designer/

It adds surround capability to PT without CPTK or HD needed.