How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments

Old 02-18-2018, 09:34 PM

Default Structure Free - no drag/drop from finder

Hi :
Pro Tools 12.8.3 on MacOS High Sierra 10.13.3
(educational institution, can't update PT for several months)

Drag/drop samples from finder onto Structure Free interface no longer working, only navigation from the Structure browser.

Anyone else experiencing, any solutions?

thanks for any help.
Old 02-18-2018, 11:54 PM

Default Re: Structure Free - no drag/drop from finder

..... note that I'm aware of the previous change whereby you can't drag/drop from the Clips List. The new problem is that you can't drag/drop samples from outside of Pro Tools directly onto the Structure Free patch.
Old 02-19-2018, 02:19 PM

As far as I know, you can only drag and drop from inside the Structure browser itself. I don't exactly when this got changed from being able to drag and drop from the workspace window, but it seems to be the only way to do that now. So, I don't think there's a fix as its not a malfunction...its the way it works now.

Old 02-19-2018, 02:51 PM

Is might not be a malfunction but it's a pita really, extra steps are almost never a good idea
Old 02-19-2018, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldM View Post
As far as I know, you can only drag and drop from inside the Structure browser itself. I don't exactly when this got changed from being able to drag and drop from the workspace window, but it seems to be the only way to do that now. So, I don't think there's a fix as its not a malfunction...its the way it works now.
Strange if true. Is Structure Free some sort of degenerative software project for Avid? At one stage you could drag/drop clips from the Edit Window, then that was reduced to drag/drop from outside of the DAW ... and now drag/drop eliminated altogether?

*Hopefully* it's merely Avid not keeping up with changes to Apple protocols? Hard to believe that the most crippled sampler in the world of DAWs could degenerate even more ....

Anyway, so this is the case for everyone, drag/drop is gone altogether ?
Old 02-19-2018, 05:11 PM

Yes, I'm on Windows and it's the same.
Old 02-19-2018, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon hunt View Post
Strange if true. Is Structure Free some sort of degenerative software project for Avid? At one stage you could drag/drop clips from the Edit Window, then that was reduced to drag/drop from outside of the DAW ... and now drag/drop eliminated altogether?

*Hopefully* it's merely Avid not keeping up with changes to Apple protocols? Hard to believe that the most crippled sampler in the world of DAWs could degenerate even more ....

Anyway, so this is the case for everyone, drag/drop is gone altogether ?
must be.. i also noticed you can't even go to next previous patch with simple press of a next/previous arrow.. either that or i am literally staring at it and can't see it. I seem to have to open and manually browse to every single sound to load it. That makes kontakt already 100x faster for me. Or even Engine. Or Uvi.
Old 02-19-2018, 08:47 PM

Its not that drag and drop are altogether gone. Its that you have to browse from within Structure's browser to do it is all. There's a whole history to the drag and drop function with Pro Tools. In the RTAS days it was possible only because AIR was able to take advantage of certain holes in the RTAS set up that would allow drag and drop directly from outside the program. AAX changed all that. I don't remember all the precise details now, but I do recall that Russ Hughes at Pro Tools Expert did an article on it (or maybe a video) a long while back.

After AAX, came some further changes to this sort of thing, all to shore up the AAX format in Pro Tools and make it more stable. You could in the earlier versions of PT since 9 and AAX came about drag and drop from the workspace window in PT, but that won't work now either with Structure. I'm not sure if that's a change with PT or with AIR itself.

In any case, just use the Structure browser and you'll be able to do it just fine. I do it all the time and its really not that much of hassle.

Old 02-20-2018, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNM View Post
must be.. i also noticed you can't even go to next previous patch with simple press of a next/previous arrow.. either that or i am literally staring at it and can't see it. I seem to have to open and manually browse to every single sound to load it. That makes kontakt already 100x faster for me. Or even Engine. Or Uvi.
Actually, that's not entirely accurate. Go to the main Structure browser and navigate to the folder where the patches you want to audition reside. Click on the first one you want to try and patch module will appear on the left side per usual. Now, just click on browser and drag and drop the next patch onto the module (I find it best to drag it to just left of where it says "Audio Out".) Rinse and repeat for as many patches as you wish to audition. There's no + or - button to do that, but Drag and drop this way will. Pretty easy actually.