Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win)

Old 04-28-2009, 03:05 PM

Default PT Running out of memory

Here is a problem we can reproduce on 2 different machines, it showed up when using PT as a destructive record dubbing recorder. After about 2 hours of continual punching in on a 22 minute session of 32 tracks (DPE tracks) the machine will give you an error -9006 PT is running low on memory.
The only way to regain control of PT is to close the application and relaunch the session, you will now have about 2 hours before it will repeat this exercise.
This problem started in 7.4 and is still present in 8.0, but did not exist in 7.3.
Digi support tell me that it must be my hardware (of cause) and so I put it out there for others to try so we can get this software issue fixed.
Just to be clear this only occurs on Windows XP machines
Old 04-28-2009, 07:17 PM

Default Re: PT Running out of memory

You could try the 3G switch. It's helped lots of us. Do a search on the LE windows forum. Before the switch Pro Tools can only use about 1.5G of ram. After the switch PT can use about 2.5G of ram. This only works with PT8 btw.
Old 04-28-2009, 07:47 PM

It is not a case of having not enough memory, the 3G switch will just allow the app to access more, it is that the app (PT) after each punch in and out goes up about 1 meg in memory usage per pass till it runs out of space.
More access to memory will mean it takes longer to get there but it will still at some point run out and give the same error.
It seems as if it is not clearing a buffer after each punch, you can see it build up under task manager. BTW this is a HD2
Old 04-29-2009, 10:59 PM

Try this, actually minimize the protools window - click on the "_" at the top right hand side. Watch the memory usage change in task manager from hundreds of megabytes down to way less than 100mb. This may buy you the extra time rather than rebooting!

cya
ghengis
Old 04-30-2009, 10:36 AM

I will look at doing this, in the mean time.
If there is anybody out there who has PT on XP it would be great if you could try this test. Thanks
Old 04-30-2009, 12:30 PM

Hi JohnR,
My XP machine does this as well. The fix I've found that works is dragging a audio file from the desktop onto the PT edit window. This will drop the paging file usage to what PT is actually using.
Hope this helps.
Best
Brandon
Old 04-30-2009, 12:46 PM

Not sure if this will help you but I decided to try running weak machine without virtual memory which it seems happier with. (Seems to work for me untill I upgrade shortly.)

If this problem is related to page file, you might consider switching virtual memory off and see what happens...
Old 04-30-2009, 06:28 PM

Thanks for the info, just to let you guys know this machine is a quad core intel system on a supermicro motherboard, the other is a quad core xeon on a tyan motherboard. All recommended Digi recommended tweaks have been done to XP that are listed on this web site.
Old 05-11-2009, 05:36 PM

Is anybody even using PT8 on a PC or as a dubbing recorder ?
Old 05-11-2009, 06:25 PM

Yes, we've got one PT8 system on an HP-8600 and I've had some strange problems, too. I believe my 'out-of-memory' error was due to a particular plug-in. Originally it was 'blessed' by Digi/AVID, but after I reported this problem they drop it back a version.

Have you confirmed your plug-ins recently? Especially since it looks like the list may be changing on a regular basis in these early days of '8'.