Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2009, 03:26 PM

Default Auto-Tune EVO - file size & performance issues

Hi everyone,

Did a real quick search for this topic but didn't see what I was looking for. If any of you can redirect me to recent info, please do so. :)

Here's the issue: I've got Auto-Tune EVO and as soon as I insert it into a track, two things happen - first, it completely saps my processing resources. It's just slow. Every action I take with it (enable this button, reload this plug-in file, close out the plug-in window, etc) take a handful of seconds on up to a minute or 5 (especially when reloading old plug-in saves). The second thing is the Pro Tools session file becomes enormous. For example, my current session went from 3.5 MB to 139 MB when I inserted Auto-Tune EVO in three vocal tracks. Of course, the session also became slow as molasses in terms of processing commands. BUT, as soon as I removed EVO as an insert, all my processing power came back and the Pro Tools session file size shrunk back down to a manageable 3.5 MB

My questions are:
1) Anyone else having this issue?
2) Am I doing something wrong?
3) Is EVO functioning wrong and I need to reinstall this?
4) Most importantly, is there a work-around, update or solve to this issue?
5) Is Melodyne a better way to go?

I'm working in PT8.cs3 (won't update beyond that because Digidesign is dropping support for some plug-ins) on Mac OS 10.5.7 on an old G4 MDD system and my 003 controller. Works just fine, as much as I wish I had some more memory and faster processors. But, I need the old dual platform system so I can access all my old 001 sessions on OS 9x.

Any and all help is appreciated. You can email me directly at Growlyman@(remove no spam)gmail.com .

Thanks everyone.

Chris
Old 12-02-2009, 01:58 PM

Default Re: Auto-Tune EVO - file size & performance issues

Just re-asking this question. I've gotten no responses so I'm guessing no one else has had this issue? Anyone care to guess what the problem is? Do I have a bad Auto-Tune install?

Chris
Old 12-02-2009, 02:50 PM

Auto-tune is not unlike an Amp sim in the sense that they are resource hogs. Try using it as Audiosuite and processing the track after you've made your pitch corrections, instead of using it as a plug. This way it will free up more resources.

Also, it's always a good idea to make sure all of your plugs are up-to-date.

HP Pavilion P6000, AMD Athlon II X2 240 (2.8GHz), FOXCONN 2AB1 MoBo, 16GB DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce 8400GS, Two WD Caviar Black Internal500 gig, One WD External 300 Gig, Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit, SD2, Metal Foundry, Focusrite Saffire 6, PT 9.03 (stable), Gibson Les Paul Studio (Drop D), Fender Tele (nashville tuning), hand built Carvin Bolt (finished!)
Old 12-02-2009, 06:01 PM

Melodyne might be another option.

The plugin has never used much CPU on any system I have used it on and the results are infinitely better than Autotune.

Old 12-02-2009, 06:55 PM

Thanks pals,

I posted this note on the Antares forum too. No one else reported this problem, but a few others led me to the latest download. Installed the update and, sure enough, the system resources issue stopped. It's not necessarily reducing the Pro Tools session file size of previous saves with the old plug-in. Must have embedded a whole lot of data that can't be removed unless you remove and reinsert the plug-in, which I can't do because of all the automation I wrote in already. BUT, I did try the updated plug-in in a new session. Inserted, saved... no huge file size increase, no maxing out of system resources and no 7-10 minute save times. Pulled out the inserted plug-in, and again no issues.

My guess is I had a bad install of the previous version, but now that I have a smooth update, onwards and upwards!

Thanks again.

Chris