Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 07-22-2006, 07:55 AM

Default Digi 001 and Tiger - now what?

Just found out the hard way that my trusted Digi 001 is unsupported by OSX Tiger (by naturally upgrading my OS). I was never a fan of 6x. From the get go it put glitches and spikes all over my tracks so I kept with my trusty 5x version on Mac OS 9x. Last week I just increased my RAM to 2 Gig but found it had no effect on CPU processing ability in 5x (still kept having my sessions stop when too many plugins were used). So I upgraded my OS from Panther to tiger, went to the Digidesign website and found the "wonderful" news.

Okay, laugh. I can take it.

Now, I need some real advice. What do I do? Do I downgrade my OS back to Panther? Is that possible? Do I lurch forward into another big purchase into Digi 002 and version 7 (which I'm hearing is just as buggy as 6x was when it first came out)?

I'm just kinda in shock that Digi could just drop the 001 interface for Tiger. I now have obsolete hardware from a company that is not putting any more updates out for it - not even core audio. Come on Digidesign - how could you just leave your users in the cold? There's no way you can find us a way to keep 001 compatible in Tiger? Amazing.

I need some valid opinions here from you Pro Tools colleagues. What do I do besides be disappointed with Digidesign (and myself for assuming 001 would be compatible with Tiger)?

Growlyman

PS: Also, anyone out there have any explanation as to why increasing my RAM from 512 mb to 2 gig had no effect on plugin processing ability on 5x?
Old 07-22-2006, 08:28 AM

Default Re: Digi 001 and Tiger - now what?

Well for one thing the 001 is incompatible with the PCI bus on the G5s. I can also see Digi's position in not wanting to write code, and do testing on a discontinued product. They are primarily a hardware company. They want you to trade in your 001 for an 002 or move up to HD.

Yeah it is kind of a drag to be stuck at Panther, but my setup runs very stable with all the tracks/plugs I need. If you're hitting the CPU wall you might consider a CPU upgrade. Mine works great.

Also OS9 can only use 1.5GB of RAM. That's a limitation of the OS itself. With X the more RAM the better up to a point. Once you get your swap file activity down you'll see little benefit in adding more. Plug-in processing is mainly a CPU dependent thing.

You can go back to Panther, but you'll have to initialize/reinstall everything. Hopefully you backed up your previous system to another drive or disk image. Restore is so much easier than having to babysit all those installers, and reset all those prefs.
Old 07-22-2006, 08:45 AM

I did read that OS9 can only see 1.5GB RAM and I did hear from Digidesign that plug-in processing is mainly a CPU dependent issue. When you talk about a CPU upgrade, are you talking about swapping out processors (used to do that on IBM motherboards, but can that be done in MAC)? If so, what clock speed should I look for to get 5x smoking? Right now I have a G4 system with dual 867 mHz processors (of which only one is seen in OS9).

No, I'm don't think I want to go back to Panther. I really just want my 5x system to fly. Never thought that I could be considered "old school" by sticking with OS 9 and PTLE 5x.

Thanks SO MUCH for your post! I welcome any more info/opinions you have.

Growlyman
Old 07-22-2006, 09:25 AM

HI,

my 001/Panther setup works also very stable.

you can get CPU upgrades from e.g. www.sonnettech.com www.powerlogix.com or www.gigadisigns.com .

BUT since you don´t want to go back to Panther and work in PT5.x instead, I see no hard reason you should burn your money here. As PT5.5 supports only one CPU and Tiger doesn´t work with the 001.

OK, a single CPU 1.4 GHz or 1.8GHz upgrade WILL make youe OS9 System up to ca. 80% faster on OS 9.
But OSX and PT 6.x/7.X is far better with a dual CPU. Hard desicion.
I´d take a look again at the options like
- "upgrade" to a 002/ MBox2 or M-Powered with Tiger.
- Swap you Dual CPU for a faster Single CPU upgrade for PT5.x.

Quote:
PS: Also, anyone out there have any explanation as to why increasing my RAM from 512 mb to 2 gig had no effect on plugin processing ability on 5x?
because Plug-in processing takes CPU Power. The only performance increase in OS9 is when you use Virtual Instruments that can now load much larger Sample based instruments etc.
On OS X the performance hit is much more drastic since if you go beyond the magic 768MB
threshold, OSX stoppes swapping diskfiles (in OS9: Virtual Memory)
thus decreasing overall system load.

You see far less Mac Beachballs spinning.

just some thoughts
so far

regs
Old 07-22-2006, 12:39 PM

I made a decision a while ago to not upgrade to G5 so
i upgraded my CPU with an OWC processor. This made a huge difference
for OS9/PT5.2. It screams even with the 1.5Gb ram limit. I also have
PT6/Panther on another drive. Main reason i upgraded was for using
Rewire. The performance is not as fast but you have more compatibility
with 3rd party plugs since most have discontinued OS9. So, its a toss-up
to me with either 5.2/6.4. Its more important to upg the mic/mic-pres/comp/conv. I would do that first. I think the waiting has been wise. The 002 has been eclipsed by m-powered/project mix i/o imo and maybe an 003 later in the year. Looks like new desktop Macs coming in Aug/Sept. After the
dust has cleared, then i think you will have an easier time on what to do. The performance looks really good for the intel macs. I would wait a bit more and stick with what is working for you now till the dust has cleared.
Old 07-22-2006, 01:29 PM

Man you must be using some heavy-duty plugs if your 867 is choking on 5.1. My Gigabit ran 5.1 pretty good at 400, and it flat-out smokes now with dual 1.6. I don't boot into 9 much these days. Mostly just to play Unreal or use an occasional 9 app.

With 6.4 you can set the CPU useage on a dually to 99%. Though it's not fully dual-processor aware it' a nice little boost. OSX does take full advantage of duals though. Wether it's worth it to throw a dual CPU upgrade in a dual 867 is debatable. Depends on how long you need to use it for, and your budget.

You could always run a separate Panther system on another drive/partition from Tiger. I think somebody posted a while back that their 001 was working with the newest version of Tiger, and Core Audio. Might want to do a search on that.
Old 07-22-2006, 02:31 PM

HI M.Brane,

Quote:
I think somebody posted a while back that their 001 was working with the newest version of Tiger, and Core Audio. Might want to do a search on that.
It´s here:
001 + Coreaudio on Tiger

regs
Old 07-22-2006, 11:05 PM

Thanks to everyone who's replied so far. Quite the education I'm getting. I really appreciate it. This afternoon I purchased a chip upgrade for my G4. Looks like the culpret might be the specific G4 model I have. I guess the Mirror Drive Doors is a bottom-of-the-line G4 and there's very limited options in terms of upgrades (as far as I can deduce so far). I ordered a Giga Design replacement dual-processor chipset @ 1.33 gHz. Yes, OS9 will still only see one processor, but it does nearly double the processing power from the 867 mHz chipset. So hopefully this will soup up 5x (and you're right - I shouldn't be having issues to begin with at the speed of my processor and RAM amount already - not with only 14 plug ins going) and that will take care of the 5x issue.

The other thing I'm going to continue to research is to partition my hard drive and put Panther back on so that I can have PTLE 6.4 still available. This would make me have three bootable OS's but if that's what it takes, it sounds like the best/easiest/least painful fix.

So again, thanks for all the replies so far. I welcome any additional tips anyone wishes to offer.

Growlyman
Old 07-23-2006, 12:23 AM

I just tried the "Digi 001 works on Tiger" workaround for the last hour. No luck. I left a post to the original author. Hopefully he can shed more light on this "solution."

Growlyman