Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2015, 12:37 PM

Default Re: will PT 11 ever work with El Capitan?

I would NOT at ALL think pt 11 will be officially qualified with El Capitan.

PT 12 is the newest and doing a few dot releases for 11 to fix some stuff was cool, but in reality i imagine those days are behind us. in fact i though i read the final version was going to be 11.2.3... Maybe another "dot" release is in store but doubt thats gonna include a new os... I imagine 12 and the new os is where the time resources will go when it comes down to it for the programmers.

is you are NOT on HD i think the update to 12 from 11 is only $99 so its not really a huge expenses.

System
MacPro 12 Core • 24 G Ram • 10.12.6
PT 12.8.1 • Mbox 3 Pro • Plug-ins Verified
4 HD • OS ssd | Audio ssd | Sample Library ssd | Storage
MAXPower eSATA 6G Card • Wiebetech RTX100H-Q
Kensington Trackball Works/Orbit Optical
Bluetooth off/Airport on and off.
Old 10-15-2015, 12:42 PM

Of you already a Mac of any sort and have previously installed an os from the AppStore, go into the AppStore and redoubled it and then look up how to make a bootable usb stick. Make a partition with that older os? It's all pretty easy! I used an apple script in terminal to make a sub stick and it was EASY!

For what it's worth, I have a partition with a fresh install of OSX 10.11 with 113.2 and it seems to work ok so far with all my plugins. The splash window is white for a few seconds but then goes to normal with no other known issues so far after 4-5 days of testing!
Old 10-15-2015, 06:34 PM

I upgraded to El Capitan and Pro Tools 11 would no longer import files, instead i had to drag the files from finder into the clips list. When I drug them from the clips list to the edit window the created tracks as expected however the mixer was unresponsive when trying to mix. I had to create the tracks first then drag the clips individually. Also my Midi Controller would not work because of some HUI error. I didn't bother to waste anytime trying to figure out the Midi problem. Maybe it would have worked, but I couldn't live with the work arounds so I went back to Yosemite. Also when I hit the play button in Pro Tools to playback the tracks the transport and meters were glitchy like, intermittently freezing as I moved the mouse around. DONT UPGRADE TO EL CAPITAN!
Old 10-15-2015, 09:37 PM

It is my personal belief that we are in a new age of software. The main PC players (mac/win) are implementing an environment of rapid change to accommodate both their revenue model and development shift. The part that is good is that as advancements happen in peripherals, phones and all other manner of devices - these are more quickly accommodated. The bad news is that only the latest versions of things will keep up. The tried and true way of setting up a complete system at a point in time and freezing it will always work - and will be a very good choice for many.

The simple answer to the question in this post - will PT11 work in El Capitan is - "to some extent - how much will depend on many things including the users use of all the features! It is logical to expect that over time and by the next OS - this will become less stable. If you need PT to work on a current and future Mac especially - I believe you will always need the current PT version.
Design Engineer: http://www.propowerinc.com/resume.html
Old 10-16-2015, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8up4life View Post
I upgraded to El Capitan and Pro Tools 11 would no longer import files, instead i had to drag the files from finder into the clips list. When I drug them from the clips list to the edit window the created tracks as expected however the mixer was unresponsive when trying to mix. I had to create the tracks first then drag the clips individually. Also my Midi Controller would not work because of some HUI error. I didn't bother to waste anytime trying to figure out the Midi problem. Maybe it would have worked, but I couldn't live with the work arounds so I went back to Yosemite. Also when I hit the play button in Pro Tools to playback the tracks the transport and meters were glitchy like, intermittently freezing as I moved the mouse around. DONT UPGRADE TO EL CAPITAN!
This is the fault I think you are seeing (see picture below).

I had so far only done mix sessions previously prepared under an older OS version and had no issues but am seeing this issue as well. This is in PT11.3.2.
Nothing major because the work around is very easy, slightly annoying maybe.

Old 10-16-2015, 05:26 AM

It's just as simple as this:

If you afford to buy a new Mac, you also afford to upgrade PT

If you don't afford to buy new PT, you will have to run old Mac.

Simple?
Old 10-16-2015, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
It's just as simple as this:

If you afford to buy a new Mac, you also afford to upgrade PT

If you don't afford to buy new PT, you will have to run old Mac.

Simple?
Simple, yes, but not accurate, nor applicable. I wish it was so simple.

It's too bad that PT version #s, and Mac models, and OS iterations weren't all dictated by one simple factor because our lives would be so much easier. Instead, there are seemingly countless reasons why someone owns a specific computer, or why they stick with a particular version of ProTools, or why they should or should not jump to a specific OS. And affordability has nothing to do with any of those *technical* choices.

This isn't even getting into qualified vs. unqualified, which is another incredibly misleading (though much less complex) phenomenon which we've all toyed with. I now let other people's personal experiences tell me what's will work and what won't as Avid's classification system is politicized and therefore almost entirely unreliable.
Old 10-16-2015, 09:43 AM

El Capitan working fine with Pro Tools 11.3.2 here on a newest Mac Mini.
disclaimer: I just have an edit/overdub desk and am not an engineer by trade. Haven't tried it with huge sessions and/or tons of VIs
But yeah, as far as working and no errors, it's been smooth sailing (though I doubt it will ever be supported)
Old 10-16-2015, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChance View Post
El Capitan working fine with Pro Tools 11.3.2 here on a newest Mac Mini.
disclaimer: I just have an edit/overdub desk and am not an engineer by trade. Haven't tried it with huge sessions and/or tons of VIs
But yeah, as far as working and no errors, it's been smooth sailing (though I doubt it will ever be supported)
Make a new session and try importing audio...
Old 10-16-2015, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroBartAudio View Post
Make a new session and try importing audio...
Ahhhh.... good eye! Yeah, didn't work for me, either. 'Import Session Data' works fine, as does dragging/copying audio into the new session's audio folder, then dragging it into the session window.... but you're right, just the standard 'Import Audio' is no bueno