How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-11-2015, 07:32 PM

Default Pro Tools sticky performance.

Hey guys,

Just curious.. I tested out my recording setup today for the first time. I was recording a live drum kit; 8 channels simultaneously at 24 bit 48k on a 32 buffer sample rate with no plugins going, and I was getting a lagging response from the faders when trying to adjust them in real time while recording. Is this normal, or some kind of unresolved issue?

My specs:
Mid 2014 15" MPBr
i7 2.8 GHz intel
16 GB RAM
1 TB SSD

Hardare:
Focusrite Saffir Pro 40

Software:
Mac OSX 10.9.5
PT 11 HD Native v.11.3

The session was being recorded onto the internal 1 TB SSD. Nothing heavy; Just recorded a few takes to test things out.

During playback, the faders ran smooth. It was only during record when they would get sticky and unresponsive along with the metering as well.

I'd like to hear your input, especially anyone in a similar recording situation/setup.

All drivers and everything is up to date.

Thanks.

Mike.
Old 02-11-2015, 10:48 PM

Is the MBPr fully optimized--every last thing done?

Try trashing prefs

Try a new empty session

Try larger buffer sizes

Try temporary moving all third party plugins out of the plugins foldrer.
Old 02-13-2015, 08:55 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools sticky performance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Is the MBPr fully optimized--every last thing done?

Try trashing prefs

Try a new empty session

Try larger buffer sizes

Try temporary moving all third party plugins out of the plugins foldrer.
I followed all of the optimizations for PT, except I'm using the internal SSD, which people say is faster than an external, and works just fine.

I haven't trashed the prefs, but I'll try.

The session was an empty session.

I suppose I could try larger buffer sizes, but when recording, latency is an issue, and realistically, something like this shouldn't be a problem at low buffer settings.

I can try the 3rd party plugins removal too. How do I go about that?
Old 02-13-2015, 09:05 AM

Not recording to a separate hard drive? It's a necessity.
Old 02-13-2015, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw rec View Post
Not recording to a separate hard drive? It's a necessity.

Absolutely not correct, this is a MBRr with a stupidly fast PCIe SSD. Many users are recording quite large sessions to the internal boot/system drive. Any external SATA based SSD or HDD will be significantly slower than just using this drive. You need to go to a Thunderbolt/PCIe SSD external drive to get the same kind of speed (like the $1k+ Lacie Little Big Disk Thubderbolt 2), something not justified for most users.
Old 02-13-2015, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Absolutely not correct, this is a MBRr with a stupidly fast PCIe SSD. Many users are recording quite large sessions to the internal boot/system drive. Any external SATA based SSD or HDD will be significantly slower than just using this drive. You need to go to a Thunderbolt/PCIe SSD external drive to get the same kind of speed (like the $1k+ Lacie Little Big Disk Thubderbolt 2), something not justified for most users.
This is pretty much what I figured. I made some new discoveries about more sticky performance too. I'm gonna start another thread about it very shortly.
Old 02-13-2015, 09:37 AM

Ah if it is about this problem I would just post to this thread, creating multiple threads for the same issue is a bad idea.
Old 02-13-2015, 10:27 AM

Can we stop this stupidity. Do you have any idea of the speeds of theses PCIe based drives compared to the piddling small bandwidth of a few tracks of Audio being discussed? Let alone what this "internal bus" you are referring to might be... there is no internal bus that IO like this can "saturate", do you mean the PCIe lanes? The internal processor transport? You have got to be kidding.

Or have you missed the reports of folks running heavy pro-sessions on these drives in a MBPr (modern ones with PCIe not SATA drives).

Avid documentation just has clearly not kept up with modern PCIe based SSD technology. Continuing to parrot this out of date information is doing nothing to help solve this users problem.
Old 02-13-2015, 11:44 AM

We have been discussing sticky faders with PT 11 for a month now.

My test session; ProTools 11.3.1, trash prefs, only core plugins with CC synths in plugins folder, reboot, record to separate internal drive, 16 audio and 3 CC synths.

Stick faders and jumpy play cursor.
Old 02-13-2015, 01:06 PM

I am in a hotelroom right now with a HUGE DJ/Producer whom you All heard of even if you don't like EDM music and we are working in PTHD 11 on a MBP Retina 512 GB 16 GB ram with over 120 tracks and possibly 25 VI and 95 plugins with only the ILOK2 key and eLicenser and One UAD-2 Quad Satellite unit, all recorded to internal drive and now we are mixing and adding stuff, no external drives and everything is Lightning Fast!! No need for extenal drives here We even have ALL the samples on the desktop and not one glitch .. Not one!

Of course this is only when we are not in the studio and need to set up the sessions/songs for live performance and I am extremely happy to report this masterful performqnce. Everything is fully optimized of course and we domise the disk cache in HD BUT last weekend we did the same on the same computer with Vanilla PT11 and all we needed to "fix" was a few bonced down VI for lower CPU use, on that session didn't have Disk Cache as I forgot to take the correct ilok with me hence Vanilla but damn these MBP's are sick!

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————