Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2013, 02:02 AM

Default Keyboard access of menu commands broken in 11

Has anyone else noticed that custom keyboard shortcuts, created with the Mac OS System Preferences interface do not work in PT 11? A related issue is that accessing the menus by typing "control+F2" is not working either. Nothing happens when that combination is pressed.

Dang.
Old 06-27-2013, 05:08 AM

Default Re: Keyboard access of menu commands broken in 11

Yes, Tried a variety of Font Book and Font Cache cleaning.
Surprisingly I was able to get 1 Mac made shortcut to work in 11.
The rest just trigger the correct menu to flash but don't engage the shortcut.

Also (For me)
PT's stock shortcut for suspend all groups is not working (Shift Command G)

Seems there're shared fonts in the application contents.
Old 06-28-2013, 03:37 AM

What is the relationship between fonts and the custom keyboard shortcuts?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
Old 07-22-2013, 02:32 AM

Same here.

Apple made custom Keyboard shortcuts don't work, I only get the menu flashing in blue but nothing happens.
The only shortcuts that work are F13-F19, any others which use letters don't work (I've checked with the shortcut manual, they're not taken...)

The suspend all groups (shift command G) is behaving weird for me as well. It doesn't work (the "Pro Tools" menu item flashes blue and nothing happens).
But as soon as I click on Pro Tools>Services>[the empty slot between "No Services Apply" and "Services Preferences..."] then the suspend all groups shortcut suddenly works. but the other custom shortcuts still don't work. It seems to be fine until I reopen Pro Tools, then I have to click the blank spot in that menu again...

I'm using PT HD 11.0.1 (currently newest version)
Old 08-28-2013, 09:49 AM

I found a solution to the custom shortcuts issue. This will work provided you've already setup some shortcuts in PT 10.

Open com.digidesign.ProTools.plist in User/Library/Prefences with an editor like TextWrangler

Copy the section marked "NSUserKeyEquivalents" from <key> to </dict>

Then open com.avid.ProTools.plist and paste that info between <key>NSNavPanelExpandedStateForSaveMode</key>
<true/> & </dict>

That should activate some of the shortcuts you had before. Unfortunately, you still won't be able to edit these shortcuts via System Preferences>Keyboard

But hopefully that helps you out.

It doesn't completely resolve the issue. You can't replace active PT 11 shortcuts with custom ones, but you can add shortcuts where there weren't any before.
Old 08-29-2013, 04:04 AM

I've found that certain keys and key combos will work ( and you can set up the custom shortcuts from the normal place in system preferences). As mentioned above, f13 - f19, command + any function key (f1-f19) and command + 8 or 9 (on regular keyboard not numpad).

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
Old 09-11-2013, 05:11 AM

I am seeing the same problem here.

I have 10.3.7 and 11.0.1 installed (which are meant to work together).

But the fact that they are both named 'Pro Tools.app' is confusing and I think probably against 'best practices'.

If I want to add a shortcut to PT 10 then there is only one 'Pro Tools.app' in the list. You can't tell if it is 10 or 11, and I'm not sure if the OS can tell either?

If you choose 'Other...' at the bottom and specifically navigate to and choose the PT10 'Pro Tools.app' then when I load PT10 I am NOT seeing the keyboard shortcut listed in the menu. If I load PT11 then it is listed in the menu, but as others have noted, it does not work. The menu flashes, but nothing happens.

In PT11 I am very disappointed that they have gone for their own buttons and other UI elements instead of using a standard OS X interface. I thought this was meant to be a 'from-the-ground-up' 64 bit re-build?!?

You can see that this is some kind of 'skin' or one-stage-removed 'wrapper' type app or something rather than a 'native' OS X app. This is maybe affecting the strange menu behaviour?

At the very least they could rename the apps to be 'Pro Tools 10.app' and 'Pro Tools 11.app'. And this may help Pro Tools 11 not to break Pro Tools 10 when it otherwise could be working OK? They are meant to co-exist, right?
Old 09-11-2013, 10:31 PM

You can change the name of Pro Tools.app version ten to something like Pro Tools10.app (just like any name change).

The problem you are outlining sounds like this: You want to create custom keyboard shortcuts for PT 10 but even if you navigate through "other" to the PT 10 app in the OS X shortcut interface, the shortcuts you make only show up in PT 11 (where they don't work).

A work around for this problem is navigate to the file ~home/Library/Preferences/com.avid.ProTools.plist (this is where custom keyboard shortcuts for PT11 are stored). Copy that file and change "avid" to "digidesign" and you will have the shortcuts in PT10.

FWIW, I have found that certain key combinations will work for making custom keyboard shortcuts via the Mac System Settings shortcut feature. For example command+any function key will work, f13-16 works, command+8 or 9 (on the regular keyboard) works
Old 09-11-2013, 10:33 PM

BTW, Mountain Lion stupidly hides your Library directory by default, there are many discussions like this that explain how to show hidden files.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread...art=0&tstart=0
Old 09-16-2013, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitT View Post
PT's stock shortcut for suspend all groups is not working (Shift Command G)
Still broken in 11.0.2, too.
macOS 10.14.4
Lynx Aurora(n)/HDX/Sonnet Echo Express III-D
don gunn