Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-2015, 02:45 PM

Default Launch Error: Pro Tools hardware is either not installed or used by another program.

Hi guys.

I need urgent help with opening pro tools. I keep getting the same error message when it comes to the end of the splash screen saying "Pro Tools hardware is either not installed or used by another program." and instantly closes afterwards. I am trying to run from my only working soundcard which is the Sound Blaster X-Fi HD with ASIO drivers. I have tried installing separate ASIO4ALL v2 drivers which gave me hope because pro tools then loaded up but when I was in the set up for the ASIO drivers to select my card and I get no sound. If it helps I am running with Pro Tools 11.3.1 Vanilla, Windows 8.1 64 bit, 8GB Ram, i7 Processor and I am mixing with headphones for now because I do not own any working speakers as of now.

Please shed me some light
Thanks
- Sean
Old 04-25-2015, 03:01 PM

Default Re: Launch Error: Pro Tools hardware is either not installed or used by another progr

Inside PT, open the Setup>IO window and look at the OUTPUT tab. If you see more than 2 outputs, try each pair. On my system, the onboard sound card is 7.1 capable. Turns out that 5&6 were the outputs that work using the green output jack with headphones

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 04-25-2015, 03:10 PM

Default Re: Launch Error: Pro Tools hardware is either not installed or used by another progr

Hey :),

I only have one output and i'm still getting no sound do you know if there is any other way of me using my sound blaster sound card??
Old 04-26-2015, 02:05 AM

Hopefully, someone else will have better advice as I am out of ideas. I am NOT a fan of ASIO4ALL and consider it a "last resort". I much prefer a "real" audio interface. Have a read at the link above that says "Help us Help You....." and post a Sandra report as it might help.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 04-01-2016, 06:28 PM

I know there is a way to do this, I had it working on pro tools 9 then 12, now I'm using 11.3 and having the same issue. I forget how but when I figure it out again I'll post again. It's something simple I know.