Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-16-2018, 09:11 AM

Default Re: Any reason to renew?

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Roche View Post
Might sound good at first blush but upon reflection, perhaps not really.

Such a Forum would simply encourage more injection of the tedious, emotional based, claptrap bitch fest replies, that are in fact a waste of time and energy, and already populate the existing forums .

Given that people's situations are as varied as the individuals themselves such questions can really only be answered by each individual for themselves. From an objective standpoint this question is likely Rhetorical at best.

Unless you are privy to Avids decision making process, the future is unknowable.
Thus the decision is really pretty simple and should be totally objective driven. Given what is front of you currently, either it is worth it to stay current, or it isn't.
The only objective and salient reply in this thread so far is Drew's "wait until NAMM" then decide .
The rest is pretty much a tempest in a teapot.
thx for a little support .. hey, can't hurt to ask .. and understood what drew says .. just get tired of the same thing over and over .. should be a better way to help these folks understand what is NEw, without it being repeated .. truly a waste of time ..

it is just like the "Help Us Help YOu" Document that NO One New to the Forums reads, and we have to direct them to it .. i was hoping that at some point that would be a mandatory read before you could post or the very least make them post their Signature with System info before Posting .. but hey, i asked that too .. shot down in flames !!! .. haha

yes, there are a lot of sub-forums .. Q: have all those sub-forums helped clean up main forums at all ??? or has it just cluttered up the OverAll Forums ???

cheers john

Macbook Pro july 2014 2.5ghz 16gb ram 512gb SSD - OS11.6.5 - PT 2021.3
Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 01-16-2018, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john1192 View Post
thx for a little support .. hey, can't hurt to ask .. and understood what drew says .. just get tired of the same thing over and over ..
John,
You work hard on here!! Give yourself a break once in a while!!

Skip over those threads you've answered 1000 times.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 01-16-2018, 10:31 AM

I am really a fan of Protools HD and its ok to work with, but i am a little bit disappointed. 428 Euro per year and the updates are containing minimal enhancements. The workflow is the same for some years now.
Other DAWs improved their workflows. For example the splitscreen (Logic was the first) is great and intuitive mechanic. One Click or Shortcut for the piano roll or notation... This is very helpful even if you work with 2 or more displays. Then Daws have a pitch correction included or a great possibility to use Melodyne. Another point; why the limitation of Inserts and Sends...
and so on... I hope, Avid is still creative... Then the 428 Euro are worth the price... But now, there is nothing really insteresting or a game changer...
Old 01-16-2018, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Mazurek View Post
John,
You work hard on here!! Give yourself a break once in a while!!

Skip over those threads you've answered 1000 times.
haha .. i hate to see the new people not get help in a timely manner when just reading that help us help you post is so easy to understand ..

i have received alot of help here over the years .. and appreciate everyone .. just like to give back a little ..

cheers !!!

Macbook Pro july 2014 2.5ghz 16gb ram 512gb SSD - OS11.6.5 - PT 2021.3
Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 01-16-2018, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john1192 View Post
thx for a little support .. hey, can't hurt to ask .. and understood what drew says .. just get tired of the same thing over and over .. should be a better way to help these folks understand what is NEw, without it being repeated .. truly a waste of time ..

it is just like the "Help Us Help YOu" Document that NO One New to the Forums reads, and we have to direct them to it .. i was hoping that at some point that would be a mandatory read before you could post or the very least make them post their Signature with System info before Posting .. but hey, i asked that too .. shot down in flames !!! .. haha

yes, there are a lot of sub-forums .. Q: have all those sub-forums helped clean up main forums at all ??? or has it just cluttered up the OverAll Forums ???

cheers john
No hey sorry for any confusion, the only Part of my post that directed towards you was the first sentence and the first paragraph explaining my opinion why it might not be the best solution.
The rest of my post was just a general statement to all .
I agree it is kinda frustrating when people post a problem with no or vague system info. But perhaps there is not any practical method to code for a system in sig restriction ???

As far as " What's New " there are already the General Announcements and Technical Alerts where that info is pretty well covered in the Release notes etc .

But again IMO a "Should I Renew" sub forum may be too Ambiguous a question. It's like asking "what is best for me ?" It's too open ended and totally dependant on individual perception of value and return on dollar. Now I could be wrong and maybe as you ask, it would help clean up the main forums, but I think the nature of question posed would make it pretty problematic and messy.

It's like asking should I buy a new or used car . there is no universal or correct answer.

As far as the OP
Yes there are reasons to renew, just as there are reasons to possibly not renew. It depends on the individual situation and what they feel is more valuable, the money saved or access to upgrades.

Or maybe I am just being old and grumpy

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...

Last edited by K Roche; 01-16-2018 at 12:35 PM.
Old 01-16-2018, 11:59 AM

I like to refer to this knowledge base article when thinking of things like this:

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/en_US/faq/en393795

Reminds me that in the roughly 2 years since 12.4, there hasn't been anything new that I felt truly excited about. Two years, 4 dot revisions, and a whole lot of bug fixes... So I let my plan lapse in November.

I figure at this rate I can go 3 years without missing much, and at least have broken even if I do re-up.

Won't really change much, in the long run, as the $$$ I used to spend every few years is equivalent to what I am being asked to spend yearly now, but I guess it feels a little less like lighting money on fire.
RTX 2080ti
64GB DDR5 5200mhz RAM
2 Samsung 980 Pro 1TB SSDs
Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD
LG 34" Ultra-Widescreen monitor
Pro Tools 12.4
A loaf of bread
A stick of butter
A lot of rye whiskey
Old 01-16-2018, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcy View Post
What do you really like to see in Pro Tools that it doesn't do it well?
Let's start with giving me access to all the I/O of my interface instead of just the first 32... this is ridiculous beyond funny.

Dante, MADI, ... all artificially crippled in Pro Tools via ASIO. Haven't heard of this nonsense in any other DAW.
Old 01-17-2018, 07:00 AM

I can’t believe this is the best they can do.

This is not a good way to keep a user base.

Great piece of software at its core. But this subscription model has been really lackluster. The bugs have been awful. Still having certain things happen that have been there for a long time.

I pay a premium price for what? Seems so far it’s mostly bug fixes.

But I’m willing to hear the argument on why I should renew.

What’s coming? My subscription expires on the 29th. There is a 30 day grace period right?

I will wait until the last day. Convince me. If not I’m gonna stop the upgrades.The current version works ok. I can deal with it.
Old 01-17-2018, 07:01 AM

Not once have I called tech support either. Never.
Old 01-17-2018, 08:13 AM

I'm far from thrilled with the current situation, but the bundle of all plugins helps take some of the sting out for me, specifically X-Form. I know it's not all it could be, but vastly better than the two default timestretch / pitching options, which are quite expensive to buy standalone and since its an offline process I can use without ever worrying about keeping a rental up to date. Saved lots of bouncing out to RX for me, a big time saver. So that was A reason to renew, alongside that holy grail of a stable version on Windows and maybe a new feature or two.

(FWIW, the new feature that's made the most to me in the past 2 years isn't even a claimed feature - it's the fact they had to widen the track names to fit the freeze button in. Makes a huge difference to me, that!)

PT 2024 Ultimate; W11 Pro; Ryzen 9 7900; 64gb RAM; RME Babyface; UAD Quad Satellite USB; GTX 1050i
Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM