Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-09-2015, 08:48 AM

Default Re: Impressed with PT 12

It appears that this thread would be better labeled "Impressed with PT 11/12" as there's no advantage to 12 when compared to 11, except that with 12 you've wasted money upgrading.

So maybe a thread titled "Impressed with PT 11 AND the money I saved by not upgrading"
Old 05-09-2015, 09:29 AM

Why would anybody upgrade 11 to 12 which would start the clock ticking before there is any new feature they want? Is being able to thump your chest about having 12 really that important? Upgrading from 9 or 10 to 12 makes perfect sense but from 11?
Old 05-09-2015, 09:46 AM

Maybe the same folks who have to upgrade a perfectly stable Mountain Lion to Yosemite? I just do not get why folks cannot build a stable system then leave it alone...
Old 05-09-2015, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Maybe the same folks who have to upgrade a perfectly stable Mountain Lion to Yosemite? I just do not get why folks cannot build a stable system then leave it alone...
I hear you and agree 100%, but I believe (and feel free to educate me here), Apple is also a factor in that prior OS is not easily available on media/download any longer. So, yes, you would have to be a bit experienced to save all your prior downloaded OS X installs, but just consider how many folks have new hardware of some form, or need to rebuild (post-physical media install) and Apple is now only offering Yosemite.
Old 05-09-2015, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricWillhelm View Post
And this is just me, but when people say, "it just FEELS good", I imagine that's probably just the investment talking. Understandable, but not very marketable. I'd love to see Avid use it as a selling point. "All new in version 12, it just feels good."
The problem with a selling point like this is as soon as a bug rears it ugly head up, people will change it to " Pro Tools 12, it just doesn't feel good" they will come up with all kinds of counter slogans like " PT 12 it would feel good if you would etc. " Lol!
Old 05-09-2015, 10:18 AM

Default Impressed with PT 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by latweek View Post
I hear you and agree 100%, but I believe (and feel free to educate me here), Apple is also a factor in that prior OS is not easily available on media/download any longer. So, yes, you would have to be a bit experienced to save all your prior downloaded OS X installs, but just consider how many folks have new hardware of some form, or need to rebuild (post-physical media install) and Apple is now only offering Yosemite.

I don't see how that relevant, if you have the old OS installed and working then don't change it. Have a image backup in case bad things happen (or the recovery partition may be an option to restore OS X). And besides you *can* get old OS X releases from the Apple Store/Customer support. And making a bootable installer is not hard if that is needed. The issue is buying new hardware that won't run old OS X releases, but that was not the point here, if it is working and there is no compelling need to upgrade then just leave stuff alone.
Old 05-09-2015, 11:01 AM

I detect a slight amount of sarcasm and negativity. That doesn't make me feel so good. I didn't even get the thread title right.

I had a good time using PT 12, that is all, and can't see how writing about it is "thumping my chest".
Old 05-09-2015, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Because working and playing and creating content on a computer involves more than just Pro Tools.

Because security holes in older software are fixed in newer releases.

Because newer versions of software add features that will improve the material being created and/or workflow.

Because MOST software works just fine with the newer OS, so people are surprised to discover that "not supported" doesn't just mean "we're not answering questions about it anymore" but that it won't work at all.

There are probably more reasons, but those should be enough to dispel the idea that doing so is reckless or stupid.
Old 05-09-2015, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PT Lover View Post
I detect a slight amount of sarcasm and negativity. That doesn't make me feel so good. I didn't even get the thread title right.

I had a good time using PT 12, that is all, and can't see how writing about it is "thumping my chest".
I didn't take it that way. I'm trying to determine whether your experience is atypical.

So I ask again, did your sessions include video?
Old 05-09-2015, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by V5V View Post
I didn't take it that way. I'm trying to determine whether your experience is atypical.

So I ask again, did your sessions include video?
No worries.

I answered you in post #5. Thanks.