Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-29-2015, 08:35 PM

Default Re: Dear Pro Tools, it's been a rocky 16 years, I'm leaving you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Seaberg View Post
I'm responsible for 5+ ProTools systems, and we also have 7+ Avid video systems. The video guys are seriously looking at Adobe's package, includes Premiere and After Effects... works with anything. Because of their 'pulling away' I started looking at Steinberg for audio.

The new Cubase 8 Pro is pretty amazing, and priced close to ProTools without having to get hardware. As soon as you cross into video-post land with sync, serial control, etc., you're looking at Nuendo. MAJOR price difference, but after spending time with it I LOVE the differences.

Steinberg offers an 18-day demo for Cubase 8 Pro and 440-hours for Nuendo, based upon usage and NOT on when you 'licensed' it. Hot-keys can be mapped to a 'ProTools' set that's already installed, so you don't have to relearn any strokes.

I also discovered that when I created a project in Cubase, it opened in Nuendo, yet I gained the new functionality of the 'heavier' software. This allows us to install Cubase in basic 'edit suites', yet provide Nuendo for the guys that are locking to video, etc.

I hate to look somewhere else, but when we designed and built our facility in 2003, we ONLY moved audio to ProTools because the video guys decided on Avid instead of something else. We assumed we'd have a good marriage between the two. Now we realize we could've looked at Sequoia or Digital Performer or most anything else out there adn it would've worked.

So, here we are again....
YUP These are good alternatives. I have used both of them and have a copy of Cubase I got when it was bundled with something I bought. not a bad way to go.
I am hold until the end of the year before I decide anything. I don't have to until Dec. G
Composer/Sound Designer/Protools 2024.3 Ultimate, MTRXII-TB3, DADMAN MOM, Cisco SG350-10MP EthernetHUB, KLANG:quelle 4 Channel Dante™Headphone Amp, DVS,MADI, Mac Studio Ultra,128 RAM/4TB SSD, Ventura 13.6.6, DP 11.3.1, Logic Pro X 10.8.1 DOLBY ATMOS Facility/MPSE Motion Picture Sound Editors Avid Certified Professional ProTools/Dolby ATMOS
Old 04-29-2015, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Seaberg View Post
I also discovered that when I created a project in Cubase, it opened in Nuendo, yet I gained the new functionality of the 'heavier' software. This allows us to install Cubase in basic 'edit suites', yet provide Nuendo for the guys that are locking to video, etc.
Just like Pro Tools and Pro Tools HD.

I like the timed demo thing, where it's based on usage and not the calendar.
Old 04-30-2015, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaone View Post
With a late 2014 Mac Mini, soon the computer itself will be left behind by Apple's frequent OS updates - so at some point you'll have to just stay on one OS version. I don't think you'll have an issue, since both Pro Tools and your Mac will probably age at the same rate.

Although it sounds silly, in the next few months I plan on getting another mac mini or macbook that I can update if needed and use for other things. My ipad and PC are used for daily work and web browsing, while my mac remains offline. I've only connected to the internet 2-3 times to register and download software (PT included) and occasional updates for the few plug ins that I have. All the guys I mentioned who recommended PT12 all have 2 macs minimum. One for work which is offline and another that they keep current. Can get pricey, but their setups seem to be stable.
Intel HD Graphics 5000 1536 MB

Avid Fast Track Pro
Pro Tools 12.0.0
Old 04-30-2015, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by themightyjaymoe View Post
Although it sounds silly, in the next few months I plan on getting another mac mini or macbook that I can update if needed and use for other things. My ipad and PC are used for daily work and web browsing, while my mac remains offline. I've only connected to the internet 2-3 times to register and download software (PT included) and occasional updates for the few plug ins that I have. All the guys I mentioned who recommended PT12 all have 2 macs minimum. One for work which is offline and another that they keep current. Can get pricey, but their setups seem to be stable.
That doesn't seem silly. Well, the idea behind it doesn't seem silly anyway. IMO it would be a good move to set up dual boot drives instead of buying two separate computers - if one needs to be isolated from the outside world, then the network can be disabled in the OS installed on that drive.
Old 05-01-2015, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by themightyjaymoe View Post
New guy on the block, I've only had PT 12 for about 1-2 months now. My only other experience with DAWs was garage band on both OSX 10.10 and iOS 7/8. I was going to get Logic, as it was affordable compared to Pro Tools and it looked similar to garageband which I was familiar with. After talking to several local musicians I went with Pro Tools. I was at first turned off by the subscription model but it was my understanding that I'm just getting upgrades and if I don't renew I keep whatever version I have. Am I incorrect?

I want to say that I have found Pro Tools very easy to use, however I am sure that I will continue to discover more features as time goes on. I don't know how long it will be before I choose to upgrade but for right now I can't think of what features I am missing out on. The guys that recommended PT to me are all running versions 7, 8, or 9. They dont seem to have any problems. They are running behind on OSX versions however. That to me is a disadvantage. Until I know whether or not PT will be supported on the next OS, my machine may have to remain behind. Other than that, i don't have any complaints. So far...

I would emphasize that some who have stayed on 7-9 are there because of a few reasons.. One is that some post houses that I work with, such dub stages dialogue bays, have like 30-50 systems. It would be REAL hard for them to update cost wise at once. Some of them do it in stages probably like a mix room etc.
The 2nd thing is that they have older computer systems and older OS on them.
I think those are some obstacles for some people I have run into. For me the upgrades have been good since 9 thru 11 and 11 was HUGE for me as a composer and sound designer. I purchased a new Mac Pro loaded up along with a lot of memory I will probably never use-:), but am very happy with my Native HD system and it saves me a TON of time. Also no more out of memory issues like in my older HD system, which drove me nuts on deadlines, having to reboot AND that older system had like 32 GB of ram, but still had issues. I think 11 is great. I am definitely waiting on 12, since there is no rush for me and I have until the end of the year to decide on my upgrade path here as I mentioned in a previous post on this thread.

G
Composer/Sound Designer/Protools 2024.3 Ultimate, MTRXII-TB3, DADMAN MOM, Cisco SG350-10MP EthernetHUB, KLANG:quelle 4 Channel Dante™Headphone Amp, DVS,MADI, Mac Studio Ultra,128 RAM/4TB SSD, Ventura 13.6.6, DP 11.3.1, Logic Pro X 10.8.1 DOLBY ATMOS Facility/MPSE Motion Picture Sound Editors Avid Certified Professional ProTools/Dolby ATMOS
Old 07-13-2015, 06:45 PM

a rambling if i may.

well ive been a digi/pt user since v5 001 windows nt 2001 days..splicing 1/4 tape before that.

i went from 5 to 6 to 7 to 9hd but never with avid hd hardware...

the reason i went from 7 to 9 was to not have to use the hardware.

i think theres a lot reasons for people staying going..but avid as a company has more or its resources in the television / video departments, then sound department.

there "avid everywhere" solution is, i imagine, nice contracts from big company's

https://www.avid.com/US/about-avid/customer-stories

and of course bundled with most of there solutions is protools... which is why "most" studio at least have a version of PT to be compatible with there video departments?

i have often heard that protools is great for mixing wheres others (logic for example) is better for musical/sound creations

i have only messed with logic / reaper / cubase myself, and see where that idea has merit.

but i still think in analog, in a lot of ways ( especially when mixing muisc ) and find the pt work flow outcome, may have a more enjoyable musical experience.

i would be nice if all the daws had a save as funtion that would automatically do what was needed, to be able to be opened in any other daw ....where the sessions in all daws were all compatible with each other.

i think most people and companys wait until they have to update the computing power used before deciding on which daw to use.

i looking at mixbuss...analogue style mixing....but still getting sucked into also getting the pt12 (as pt11 seems to be phased out) and using it for at least another 5 years.

will i pay the yearly charge...i dont think so...i hope i dont have to...after more then the year, i would expect the software to entirely do what it says on the tin..bug fixs of the product i buy should not be extra.

i would gladly stay with pt9 if it wasn't for the 64bit and the ram limit

technology / computing power is moving faster then software companies, and having customers find and help iron out the bugs...is not good...

a person buys a guitar in a shop.
"thank you for buying this guitar", says the shop keeper....
"now off you go .. and let us know of any problems and i will let you know when we figure out the solution.
oh and there will be an extra charge for the fixs."
" but can i have one that has no problems", says the customer.
" i'm afraid not" the shop keeper replies.." we have stopped of course making those."

i'm joking of course....i think eventually there will be a time when the computing power and software will actually just work..flawlessly..no questions asked. like flicking a light switch today.

i feel sorry for the bigger spaced studios that are finding it harder to get clients to pay top dollar, how some are keeping up with mic's / pres / computers / software updates / rent, is often beyond me...for the hours put in.

anyway's story over...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2015-07-14-1773_q1_q1.jpg (45.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 07-14-2015, 05:16 AM

Floppy Disks ... i do not miss that mess ... i bought Digitranslator 3 times at 500.00 a pop because my Disk lost Authorizations .. and after sending Digidesign the Disks was told they were empty but i had moved the Authorizations back onto them .. and i was charged 100.00 per disk to replace if corrupted .. for any of you that did NOT have PT during this time you are so lucky ..

short story .. i was sitting at westlake audio on hollywood blvd. with tom graham (he used to run PT Demos once a week or so there before the turn of the century) and he found that the MAC computer had something like the Trojan virus i think it was, i sat there and watched and helped him a bit to reinstall everything via floppies .. he was fast but it still took over an hour if i remember correctly .. computer was in this small closet so hard to get at .. blah blah .. we talked and laughed and installed and talked and installed .. good times ..

Macbook Pro july 2014 2.5ghz 16gb ram 512gb SSD - OS11.6.5 - PT 2021.3
Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro