Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-23-2006, 04:47 AM

Default Screen/window positions - should this work?

I know this has been debated before, but getting PT to remember screen/window sizes and positions when recalling sessions seems to be a bit of a shambles.

I use two monitors, and up until recently, whenever I launched PT it would always load on 1 monitor. If I then stretched the PT workspace to cover both monitors and loaded my sessions, the Mix and Edit windows (which I always have open) would be 95% invisible way off to the left of the left most monitor.

So I recently read about closing ProTools using the taskbar button and right-click->close. This (as stated) does enable PT to launch next time in the same form as it was last closed (ie. in my case stretched across 2 monitors). The problem is, when I reload my session, the windows are still nowhere near where they should be - usually disappearing off to the left.

So, in short, is there any way I can get PT to recall sessions with the windows in the right place, or is this something that has to be fixed?

Thanks for any pointers

Jules
Old 02-23-2006, 09:49 AM

Default Re: Screen/window positions - should this work?

Hi!
Part of the problem, I think, lies in the main monitor, and the Edit window.

Example: With two video monitors, main on left. PT is stretched to fill both monitors entirely...if the taskbar is left visible on the main monitor, it will cover those several pixels at the very bottom of the main monitor (given, expected). So, open Edit window, stretch to fit entire area in main monitor- but NOT under the taskbar, of course

The problem now comes when I try to place the Mix window in the right monitor and stretch it to fit that monitor entirely; it seems the Edit window wants some "elbow room," and kind of nudges the Mix window. Reopening saved sessions like this ALWAYS end up with the Mix window nudged several pixels to the right, thus pushing the Mix window offscreen. Save the session with it pushed offscreen, and reopening results in it being pushed yet further offscreen!

Workaround: FIll primary monitor as described. On secondary monitor, stretch the Mix window vertically to fully fit- it is the horizontal stretch/sizing that is buggered. So, allow 5-8 pixels on each side of the Mix window for it to "breath," and subsequent re-opens of the session result in windows retaining placement.

On another note: Many windows do not "remember" last position within session working time. For example: Open a plug-in, then open the plug-in menu from the Digi gui, and open the presets window. Move it anywhere. CLose. Reopen it. It's last position is not remembered, and instead reopens on the main monitor, centered (basically). Ugh...
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki-k View Post
Sometimes ya just gotta put your tongue on the 9V battery just to see what all the fuss is about.
Old 02-23-2006, 11:45 AM

Thanks Nikki, I'll give the "breathing space" approach a try, although I never actually maximize any of my windows, just drag them by hand to just inside the main border.

Incidentally, I sometimes have both Edit and Mix windows open on one monitor - one above the other - and still when I reload the session, both windows are pushed alomost off the screen to the left. It can be a real challenge to even get hold of a corner and drag it back into position.

Oh, and I TOTALLY second your request for proper 'remember last position' functionality. It seems to be almost random where a plugin GUI, file load/save window, IO window etc is going to open. Someitmes one monitor, another time somewhere completely different.

Jules
Old 02-23-2006, 01:27 PM

Right- I do not use maximize on ANY windows: not on the main PT window (cant, and have it fit on both monitors), nor for either of the Mix or Edit windows. I just stretch them to fit fully, or close to that.

Wow- never tried one above/below on one screen... guess I dont have enough "other stuff" going on to warrant it! hehehehe!
Quote:
Sometimes ya just gotta put your tongue on the 9V battery just to see what all the fuss is about.
Old 02-23-2006, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Wow- never tried one above/below on one screen... guess I dont have enough "other stuff" going on to warrant it! hehehehe!

I have one 'big' monitor directly over my Control 24, so when my head's right in the mix, I can just work on that one monitor (running at 1920x1200 I think). You can fit the mixer across the screen (shows about 30 odd tracks, takes under half the screen height) and still have room to show a few tracks in the edit window above.

Problem is, if I recall the session after I've been working like this, both windows have disappeared off the left edge, with just a few pixels showing, so I go through this resize/restore/fiddly dragging edges palaver at the beginning of every session . Get's a little frustrating.

Jules
Old 02-24-2006, 10:05 AM

Ahhhhh! Wow!
Me wants big monitor....like a nice 42" plasma...
Quote: