Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-19-2019, 04:44 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools 2019 !

Again, ive been using PT10 since 2012, and have NEVER had a single issue, NOT ONE SINGLE ISSUE!!!!! ive invoiced HIGH six figures from this machine over that time, delivering a LOT of stuff to clients everywhere.....I really dont understand a lot of people complain about here....do they have clients? have they ever delivered anything for money? IF THEY DO, then why are they complaining about protools??!?!?!? MOVE ON, and quit complaining, or do what we've done, find the drop dead solid solid version and LOCK IT OFF. PERIOD......who the ... cares wWHAT comes down the pipe after that?!?!?!? YOURE MAKING MONEY !!!! RIGHT? RIGHT?!?!?!?! if it doesnt work for you, THEN WHY WHY WHY contuinue onwards? go get yourself and OTARI 24 track and a midi sampler...ta da.........
Old 04-19-2019, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meads View Post
How is my judgment clouded?
And when did anyone claim voicing their opinion is an attempt at fixing anything? What are you even talking about?
In my opinion Avid does an abysmal job. This is a forum, a place to share and discuss opinions. It's hard to believe that there are people who don't understand the concept of a public forum.

I'm not sure many people would disagree that Avid is doing an abysmal job, but that shouldn't be a justification for having a complete and total lack of respect of the public space.

Octatonic's comments aren't defending Avid in the slightest, yet people are lynching him. All he is actually suggesting is that part of your feelings toward Avid are the result of you leaving the solutions in Avid's hands. Like it or not, Avid's actions do clearly speak their chosen priorities. Take the delay of Mojave support due to the desire to add more voices to HDX. Even in this thread there are the same criticisms of I/O and voice restrictions that have appeared on this forum since the invention of Pro Tools LE!

Some people have acknowledged what is going on, and have cancelled their support plans. Others have acknowledged it, and continue to pay it for reasons of their own. I really don't know how to describe a person who is hyper-critical of the support plan, and yet continues to pay it. Perhaps the greatest of fools? I would suggest that you heed Octatonic's advice for what it actually is. It will make you happier. It's what moves people from complaining to actually taking action. At the moment, the anger that some people have towards Avid is causing them to misread posts and to stomp on good, talented contributors on the DUC. It's just a bit sad, really.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.
Old 04-19-2019, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDS View Post
I'm not sure many people would disagree that Avid is doing an abysmal job, but that shouldn't be a justification for having a complete and total lack of respect of the public space.

Octatonic's comments aren't defending Avid in the slightest, yet people are lynching him. All he is actually suggesting is that part of your feelings toward Avid are the result of you leaving the solutions in Avid's hands. Like it or not, Avid's actions do clearly speak their chosen priorities. Take the delay of Mojave support due to the desire to add more voices to HDX. Even in this thread there are the same criticisms of I/O and voice restrictions that have appeared on this forum since the invention of Pro Tools LE!

Some people have acknowledged what is going on, and have cancelled their support plans. Others have acknowledged it, and continue to pay it for reasons of their own. I really don't know how to describe a person who is hyper-critical of the support plan, and yet continues to pay it. Perhaps the greatest of fools? I would suggest that you heed Octatonic's advice for what it actually is. It will make you happier. It's what moves people from complaining to actually taking action. At the moment, the anger that some people have towards Avid is causing them to misread posts and to stomp on good, talented contributors on the DUC. It's just a bit sad, really.
Thank you.

My point was around taking what we have right now and making music.
I don't like paying $400 a year for support and I don't like the 32 channel limit.
I also don't like having no other option than paying it and having to run HDX and split the tracking and mixing process.
None of this stops me working though.

I'd like to apologise for any nasty retorts of mine- I'm not here to make enemies.
Let's move on?
Old 04-19-2019, 11:32 PM

Can I suggest that we look at this forum differently? Can we look at this place as a forum that we can learn from each other on how to achieve maximum potential from Pro Tools?

Any learned person who looks back at the history of this forum, if being objective, would clearly come to the conclusion that criticizing Avid’s Policies would drive any change, would quickly realize the futility of it all.

Make love not war!
Old 04-20-2019, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDS View Post

I appreciate what you are saying.
I have been off the support plan for three years and reinstated a year and a half ago. As I stated in this thread, I like Pro Tools, I make a living with it, I wouldn't switch to another DAW.
It simply angers me how Avid handles things, and I think I have every right to be. It's true, I earn good money with Pro Tools, and it works.

But that's what I already paid Avid for. To have a working tool.

What I continue paying them for is to improve on that tool. If they do not improve it, why am I supposed to continue paying for something I have already paid for? This is where I am coming from.
They promised a steady stream of fixes and improvements and charge $399/year for that. They have to deliver, but they don't.
In what other scenario would you think it is okay to take money from people without providing anything in return? And why is it not okay to be angered about that, if this principle is being dragged on year after year?
Don't swallow it, make waves and hope somebody at Avids rides them, who gives a rat's behind about what customers think, want and expect (not that I have high hopes).

iMac Pro
- MacOS 10.14.6
---
- Pro Tools U HDN 2019.6
- Avid HD Omni + HD I/O 8x8x8
- C|24 | S3 | Dock
Old 04-20-2019, 03:23 AM

Quote:
I have been off the support plan for three years and reinstated a year and a half ago. As I stated in this thread, I like Pro Tools, I make a living with it, I wouldn't switch to another DAW.
It simply angers me how Avid handles things, and I think I have every right to be. It's true, I earn good money with Pro Tools, and it works.

What I continue paying them for is to improve on that tool. If they do not improve it, why am I supposed to continue paying for something I have already paid for? This is where I am coming from.
They promised a steady stream of fixes and improvements and charge $399/year for that. They have to deliver, but they don't.
In what other scenario would you think it is okay to take money from people without providing anything in return? And why is it not okay to be angered about that, if this principle is being dragged on year after year?
Don't swallow it, make waves and hope somebody at Avids rides them, who gives a rat's behind about what customers think, want and expect (not that I have high hopes).

+1000.
Well said. Still, some people will try to devaluate that argument again, as it happened before in this thread saying that: “ You make money with PT, be happy with what you get, shut up and keep paying...for nothing in return” LOL. I think it is time to start a tech company, collecting fees, deliver nothing substantial in return, since there are so many stupid out there... Hold on, there is one already doing that!

Cheers!

Cheers!
Old 04-20-2019, 03:57 AM

Quote:

This is exactly the point. I contacted AVID directly about this and I have to say they responded fairly quick that I can use my support plan (we also pay for the quick support next to updates) to have full assistance on running ProTools 2018.12 on Mojave. Still it can give a little of a headache when AVID happens to be last in the chain with compatibility releases while they ask a subscription fee for that. And at the same time, software companies who always are spot on with release updates, don't ask a support fee for that.

Nevertheless, the frustration still comes from the fact that I love to use ProTools as my primary DAW. I don't see myself editing and mixing in any other DAW.
Indeed the argument 'if it works on 10.13.6 already, just stay there continue working and do not complain!' doesn't stand, because I could let my support plan lapse and continue working on my perpetual license. That's what I already paid for up until now. I'm willing to pay for the support plan and I can perfectly justify those costs in relation to my income from producing and mixing music. But then there's nothing wrong with 'encouraging' AVID to deliver accordingly for the support plan fees they ask, by being critical when they are this slow with providing software updates.
Old 04-20-2019, 07:55 AM

If it's called a support plan.. does it mean it's really just for support issues? Not software updates?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Old 04-20-2019, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arche3 View Post
If it's called a support plan.. does it mean it's really just for support issues? Not software updates?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

It’s both premium support and software updates. Without the support plan you don’t get upgrades/updates and I believe you can pay per support/helpdesk instance.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
Old 04-20-2019, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lambert View Post
Keep in mind that a certain percentage of supporters are doing so by pulling wool over their own eyes. To them, to suggest that ProTools isn't perfect would be to suggest that their investment isn't on solid ground. That's uncomfortable. It takes a bit of bravery to see the forest through these trees, and to accept that you could be using dull tools for your trade.

And then there are those with financial ties to Avid. Supporters, in more ways than one. This forum doesn't require those people to state their professionall associations (as some do), so who knows who has interests which run deeper in those ways. It certainly explains some "opinions," eh?
And there are some of us that have been using PT since PTLE 5.1, and never had a problem with it that I didn't cause on my own. I'm a hobbyist, and I don't do big complex mixes, but PT works perfectly for what I do. I record small rock bands. Sometimes I use a few MIDI and VI tracks.

I started with two stereo cassette machines doing sound on sound, recording new parts mixed with what's already been recorded on the other deck. I thought it was awesome when I got a 4-track cassette. Of course 4 wasn't enough, so I got a second 4-track to to more complex sound on sound. After that I got an ADAT. Each time I upgraded my rig, life got easier, and my recordings sounded better.

Then PTLE 5.1 come out and changed my life! I could record 24 tracks with no sound on sound! Before PTLE that would have cost thousands for 2" tape or even some of the more budget minded BETA based multi-track plus a mixer. Now I could do it all in my PC for $1000. And they've kept improving it over the years. I couldn't be happier with the product except I don't agree with their subscription model. At least not at the slow pace of their updates.
- PreSonus Quantum 2 - PreSonus Studio 24c - Mackie Onyx 1640i
- Samsung T3 and T5 SSDs - Various USB2/3 and Firewire HDDs

Last edited by QuikDraw; 04-20-2019 at 11:27 AM. Reason: spelling error