Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-28-2011, 01:44 PM

Default how can I upgrade my old tdm plugs to AAX?

I have several assets. is it possible to upgrade from tdm to AAX version for pro tools 10?

how do I upgrade?

here`s my list of plugins.

Access Virus Indigo Digidesign License Never
BF Classic Compressors v4 Digidesign License Never
BF Fairchild Bundle v4 Digidesign License Never
BF Pultec Bundle v4 Digidesign License Never
Bomb Factory BF-3A Digidesign License Never
Bruno/Reso Digidesign License Never
Drawmer Dynamics Digidesign License Never
Fairchild 670 Digidesign License Never
Focusrite d2/d3 Digidesign License Never
Line 6 Amp Farm HD Digidesign License Never
Maxim Digidesign License Never
PHOENIX Crane Song Ltd License Never
Pultec EQH-2 Digidesign License Never
Pultec MEQ-5 Digidesign License Never
Purple Audio MC77 Digidesign License Never
Reverb One Digidesign License Never
SansAmp PSA-1 Digidesign License Never
Tel-Ray Variable Delay Digidesign License Never
TL EveryPhase Trillium Lane Labs License Never
Old 12-28-2011, 02:03 PM

Default Re: how can I upgrade my old tdm plugs to AAX?

all these plugins are now on a pro tools mix 6.4.1 system

Is it possible to have them work as AAX or rtas on pro tools 10?

i run pt 10 on my mackbook. no HD
Old 12-28-2011, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicmixer04 View Post
all these plugins are now on a pro tools mix 6.4.1 system

Is it possible to have them work as AAX or rtas on pro tools 10?

i run pt 10 on my mackbook. no HD
You're not likely to notice any performance difference with the AAX versions (with the exception of the availability of Revibe and Reverb one as host plug-ins). AAX isn't (yet) the "cure for RTAS."

dc
Old 12-29-2011, 04:23 AM

thanks
but I see no installers for PT 10.

should I install versions for PT 9 ?
Old 12-29-2011, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicmixer04 View Post
thanks
but I see no installers for PT 10.

should I install versions for PT 9 ?
The manufacturers of each plug in have to develop an AAX version. It will then be offered as an upgrade (maybe free-maybe paid...)
Some threads here reveal those who have announced plans. Others have said nothing yet and others have already released AAX. The only company, of course, who has released some AAX versions of their RTAS plugs is Avid. It will come, but it will be slow in coming.

It is only an issue if:
You want to use TDM plug ins and you buy HDX cards in which case your TDM plugs will not work. RTAS will.

When PT becomes 64 bit neither RTAS or TDM will work and neither will most current hardware items made by Avid (except their new interfaces)

The point where PT becomes 64bit is anyone's guess. So in the time between then and now, if you don''t need TDM, you could purchase HD Native and/or HDX and continue to use RTAS until some or all of those products are converted and offered as upgrades.

If you feel you need TDM, then you must wait until your plugins come out with AAX DSP versions or you are confident that the AAX Native version they may come out with in lieu of AAX DSP will be acceptable.

Then the question is, why invest in HDX? Why not just buy an HD Native card?
I think there are good reasons for some to invest in HDX, but, I would be interested to hear what others have to say:

Let's assume (for sake of argument) most 3rd parties decide to not support AAX DSP And only release AAX Native, What are the advantages in that scenario of using HDX instead of HD Native?

Full Support for Avid DSP only features

Expandibility in terms of interfaces (more input output),
--Actually I am not sure on this one, can't you expand inputs on an HD Native system?

Expandibility in terms of dsp cards (more tracks, plug ins on tracks (if they are DSP versions) etc)

Many of the previous advantages have disappeared especially if you purchase Complete PRoduction Toolkit with your PT 10 software.
Old 12-29-2011, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Wheaton View Post

Then the question is, why invest in HDX? Why not just buy an HD Native card?
I think there are good reasons for some to invest in HDX, but, I would be interested to hear what others have to say:
Hi,

This is the question I keep asking myself! As a massive third party TDM user (HD6 accel) I can't see any point jumping to HDX cards yet!! Until ALL TDM are AAX DSP it's a bit of a fruitless move. My 8 core will quickly whack the CPU so using native instead of TDM isn't going to work.

So you'll have all this HDX DSP sitting empty until the AAX DSP plugins become available. Unless you use only Avid plugins of course!!

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 12-29-2011, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crizdee View Post
Hi,

This is the question I keep asking myself! As a massive third party TDM user (HD6 accel) I can't see any point jumping to HDX cards yet!! Until ALL TDM are AAX DSP it's a bit of a fruitless move. My 8 core will quickly whack the CPU so using native instead of TDM isn't going to work.

So you'll have all this HDX DSP sitting empty until the AAX DSP plugins become available. Unless you use only Avid plugins of course!!

Chris
True, but it was also the same when the first cards came out. Not every company out there existed, or even made plugins for tdm. Just requires a bit of patience. And it's going to be the same thing when the next version of dsp cards sees the light one day.

Wave-T.com
Old 01-19-2012, 10:14 AM

I work at an official Avid reseller and I get this question all day.

The only problem I have run into has been Virus. Because the physical version uses the same chips as TDM cards, they were able to port rather easily and make a software GUI, but now with AAX, there has been no word on a port.

Pretty much everything else out there has an RTAS equivilant and this list will show you planned or already ported plugs.

As stated, some have gone AAX, some are planning it. If you ahve specific questions, ask away, I seem to perusing these god forsaken plugin manufacturer websites all day.
Old 01-19-2012, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crizdee View Post
Hi,

Chris
This is exactly what I have been thinking Chris. Still can't get my head round why anyone would want to spend all that money on HDX I can't see what you will gain?

PT 10.3.10 HD Accel 6, Mac Pro 5.1 12 Core 3.46hz Dual Boot Lion 10.7.5 and Maverick 10.9.5 32GB Ram Magma PE6R4i Chassis