Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2003, 09:09 PM

Default How do i manually \"relink\" audio files?

Out of the blue i started having problems when i try to open a session that was opening fine yesterday.
I get the dreaded "task window" i've been reading about in other threads.Problem is it won't relink or can't find my audio files,yet they are still in my audio files folder????
I've searched the DUC and answerbase and would be thankful for any help.

Specs;MDD DP 867 OS X.2.8 512ram, 001 6.1.2, ext. FW Drive for audio (meets digi specs.)

Also see DAE 9035

Old 11-18-2003, 10:09 PM

Default Re: How do i manually \"relink\" audio files?

did you delete or move any of your audio files that you are trying to relink. if deleted they usually show up when searched for but they will be in the trash. if you moved them again they should show up when searched for and then can be manually relinked (i always relink according to the unique id). but it could be a case of the workspace browser and task window sucking because they do suck. just today infact the workspace browser crashed my system causeing a hard drive to not mount. i then proceeded to use disk warrior to recover the hard drive but about 30 GB of information was lost and gone forever. thankfully i had already completed those projects and back up on a separate hard drive most everything. anyway hopefully you can find the files and it's not a case of the task window or workspace browser making life difficult because that's all it's really good for.

mark
Old 11-19-2003, 02:08 PM

No i haven't erased or moved any of the files.I've been slowly building this session with audio over the past week,and like i said out of the blue this crap started.Can you tell me how to go about relinking??I can still see all the files in the audio folder but how do i get the session to recognize them??

Old 11-19-2003, 04:18 PM

Open up the Workspace Browser - this is where you relink. You find the files and click them then click relink or something like that. I've had to do it a few times and it is a little less user friendly but this is the way to go.
-HD I/O 8x8x8. -HD Omni -Avid S3

-API 2500 -API 5500 -UA 2-1176 -UA 2-610
-Neve 1073, Chandler LTD-1 -Eventide H8000FW -Lexicon PCM96
-Bricasti M7. -Joe Meek channel.

-Waves Mercury, Flux all, Softube All, Plugin Alliance all, McDSP all, Sonnox All, MH production, Wave Arts,a bunch more
-Moog Voyager XL, Nord Piano, Hartmann Neuron, ARP Axxe, Gibson Les Paul, Mesa Boogie Roadster, Kemper, Taylor T5 and T5-12
Old 11-19-2003, 08:18 PM

Thanks for the reply,however the $_!t has officially hit the fan.I got WAY bigger problems than trying to simply relink audio.It looks like the PT's App. itself is corrupt,if thats even possible?????....i'm guessing........just like digi does....

EVERYTHING thats got to do with Pro Tools went to hell in a handbasket for NO apparent reason.I called tech support and went through some troubleshooting with them.They even emailed me an uninstaller for 6,told me to follow all the steps on the OS X setup guide,and then install 6.0 again.GUESS WHAT............still not up and running.......also getting DAE 9035 errors out the wazoo.
I'm going to get on the horn again tommorow and rip someone.Worst tech support ever
Version 6 has been out a while now and to still have BS like this is ridiculous...........

To All you panther hopefuls........hahahahahha can you say "more lotion on that...... PLEASE!!!.......yeah it's gonna hurt soooo much"

Old 11-20-2003, 04:59 AM

Hello. Although it seems your problem is not what is on the thread title, I will try to answer the relinking method. When you open up a session it will tell you if you have missing files, whether they are audio files, video files or fade files. If it's fades that's the easiest. Just click on 'Regenerate Fades', click 'Skip All' and then the session will finish opening and recreate the fades.

If you are missing audio files you have three options. 'Skip All', 'Manually find and relink' and 'Automatically find and relink'. Most times the automatic search will be fastest and easiest. However if you want to manually find and relink here is how you can do it. And let me just say that I would not recommend this if you have more than 6 files.

First step, when the missing files dialog window pops up hit 'Skip All'. This will open up the session and the missing files will be grayed out and in italics on your Regions list. Then go to that toolbar, click to get the drop down menu and click on the item all the way down that says 'Show Full Pathname'. This will tell you where the files are, or more to the point, where they came from. It will have a really long name that will list drive, folder, session, etc. A very important thing here. DO NOT HIT SAVE! If you hit save, the session will save with the missing files. You can have fairly bad problems relinking after that, if at all.

Now that you know where to look bring up the relink dialog window. There is a command to do this which I forget for now (read the manual for this shortcut). Or you can close the session (without saving!) and open it back up. When the missing files dialog opens up again, hit 'Manually Find and Relink' and go find the files directly.